Hey guys.

So i've been having a bit of trouble with the treble harshness on my DSL. to get a sound that is decent to my ears i have the treble set to around 2.

i'm not sure if this has something to do with my cab, because most people only complain about the ultra gain channel being harsh, where as i'm using the classic gain channel.

if the treble goes above 3, the tone is so harsh it's ridiculous. Any suggestions on how to fix this? is it my cab? or is this an issue with most DSL's.

thanks.
Quote by Mad Marius
DBZ guitars, love'em. Especially their Les Piccolo model.
how much presence are you using?
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
Quote by JLT73
how much presence are you using?

around 3-4
Quote by Mad Marius
I had similar issues when I had a DSL. no ammount of EQing fixed the fact that the harshness you speak of is part of the tone produced by a DSL.

The only thing that seemed to fix some of the fizz was cranking the hell out of it which just wasn't practical for me.

Thus the DSL went in favour of my current setup.
ESP M-1 - Dimarzio Super3
Ibanez RG3270 ToneZone/Blue Velvet/Paf Pro
Ibanez RG1527
PRS CE22
Mercer Blackmachine Replica

Diezel Herbert
Diezel Einstein Combo
TC GMajor

Gain Wh0re and Diezel Mafioso
Play through a friends cab, see how it sounds?

the tone might just be unkind to your ears.
Carvin V3 - Matamp 4x12 - VHT Valvulator - Maxon OD808 - Visual Volume Pedal

EH Cathedral - Ibanez DE7
If your directly facing your cab while playing your ear tends to pick up a lot of high end harshness. Could very well be your cab, but any DSL I've ever played had that sort of harshness in the higher frequencies.
Ibanez RGR421EXFM >> Maxon OD808 >> BOSS NS-2 >> Peavey 5150 212
I say play through a friends cab because Ive never had this problem with mine. Ive heard of it, but never recognized it. And my treble sits pretty high.
The DSL/TSLs seem to be somewhat hit and miss. I played a DSL combo and thought it sounded pretty good. I then played a head the other night (on a MA/MG cab) and it was fizzy as all get out. Nasty nasty fizz. Others have said the head sounds better than the Combo and I personally have witnessed the Good and the Bad of the DSL/TSL line as it relates to not all amps are created equal.

Halikus good to see you again!
Yeah I'll have to try it through another cab, thanks guys.
Quote by Mad Marius
There shouldn't be that problem with the speakers you have. Marshalls do tend to be very bright, it wouldn't be uncommon to turn the presence all the way down and keep the treble around 2 or 3
Quote by halikus
I had similar issues when I had a DSL. no ammount of EQing fixed the fact that the harshness you speak of is part of the tone produced by a DSL.

The only thing that seemed to fix some of the fizz was cranking the hell out of it which just wasn't practical for me.

Thus the DSL went in favour of my current setup.

This. I use one occasionally at a rehearsal studio and I hate the treble harshness- I end up setting it at 0 and it still sounds bad (plus I don't cut through the mix at all). Pretty horrible sounding amp all round if you ask me.
Gibson Les Paul Standard 2004
Fender Telecaster Custom 72RI 2009
PEDALZ
Ashdown Fallen Angel 60DSP
Fender Blues Junior
Ashton MPA100
I just don't like the whole DSL/TSL series unless they were super cranked. By that time, they were ready for a concert.
Fender Telecaster
DeArmond M series
Vox Night Train 15 head w/Weber loaded 1x12
Dunlop DVP3 Volume (X)
Klone circuit/Russian Big Muff 2in 1
Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET
TC Electronic Nova Delay
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Line 6 M5
DSL's are known for their top-end harshness, unfortunately. It can be somewhat compensated for with different tubes and/or proper speaker selection, but in the end the best thing to do is to mod it. In fact, I just modded two DSL 100's for a guy to correct this very problem.

I wouldn't suggest doing it yourself unless you have some sort of electronic background and understand tube amps, so if that's the route you want to go, take it to a tech and tell him you want to adjust the value of the treble bleed cap on V3 to tame the high end harshness.

Marshall set the component values this way so that the amp had the most clarity at super-cranked volumes. Unfortunately most people aren't going to be cranking a 100 watt amp that high, so it becomes necessary to adjust some of the cap values to ellicit the proper tonal performance at lower volumes.
Tastes like chicken, if chicken was a candy.
Last edited by ConfederateAxe at Oct 2, 2010,
Quote by DroptuneD
If your directly facing your cab while playing your ear tends to pick up a lot of high end harshness. Could very well be your cab, but any DSL I've ever played had that sort of harshness in the higher frequencies.

This.
You could try facing the cab toward the wall. Or make beam blockers from CD's. Stick them on the grill - centered on your speaker cones.