Page 1 of 2
Hi guys,

I'm currently using an entry level korean-made Rally Les Paul. Genres I normally play is thrash and extreme metal. I've been playing for ard 3 years now (2 years for electric) and I'm thinking of getting a second axe.

I've been told that given the weight of the les paul, the wood and kind of tone and sustain as well as the neck thickness, it is less suitable for extreme forms of metal. Is it true. What if I change the pickups to say blackouts or EMGs, does it render the les paul's original qualities useless?

I'm hoping to get an ESP V-II in the near future by the way so need some advice.
The only thing you need is a guitar with a humbucker in the bridge to play metal. And even then...

A high gain amp is much more important than which guitar you use.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
In general, no you don't need any specific guitars to play metal. It's a matter of personal preference.
First off, the rumor that a Les Paul is not suited for metal is way off. I've had my Agile LP for a full year come this November and until this past week, good luck getting me to hammer out a blues riff. The wood is very resonant, the neck thickness makes it more suited to rhythm in my honest opinion BUT that's personal and very debatable. The pickups, I take it your LP has two humbuckers? Humbuckers are the way to go for metal. They are your stereotypical go-to pickup for more distorted tones. If you want metal I would HIGHLY advise the blackouts or EMG's, considering they're both active pickups. If you don't know the difference between active and passive, look it up, your problem's just been solved.

The weight is personally a plus for me. I prefer my guitars to feel dense and heavy, allows them to sit right when playing standing up with a strap, and just feels to me like they seem to resonate more. Feels like the wood effects the tone a little more than it would if it was a very light, not-so-dense wood.

For me the difference between a Les Paul and a superstrat such as the RG Lightning recommended, which is by no means a bad choice either (I started on an RG2EX2, great axe), was all about feeling. Not so much tone, but a lot more feeling. Playing an RG I felt like the guitar wasn't really there, and I know that sounds weird but you'll understand after a couple more years, and like the music just came through my fingers. Kinda like typing out my music. Playing the Les Paul, it felt like the LP had a lot more presence under my fingers, like the LP was actually playing with me instead of being a nonexistent tool.

Some people like the thinner faster lighter feel of superstrats. I like the heavier, thicker, chunkier feel of an LP over the superstrat. That is all preference. If you're looking at effecting your tone instead of the feel of it, then look at the type of wood your guitar is made of and what kind of pickups you're using. Oh, and, you're amp makes up 70% of your tone by the way. If you're unsatisfied with your tone, you should question your amp as well as the settings on your amp first.

Bottom line: Body style changes the feel. Pickups, type of body wood and your amp change your tone.
Quote by fly135
Great list Rutch. On re-reading this one I'd have to say Solid State means not liquid or gas.

I figured it out.
Seriously considering an Invader in bridge position of my Epiphone Dot. Semi hollows have super thick palm mutes. Would look gawdamm funny in a death metal band but would sound killer if I could control feedback.
we used to play br00tz on a hanna montana purple washburn through a JSX fullstack at the store.

what's at tell ya?
I play Ska-Punk, but I use a metal guitar; an Ibanez Rg470. It's a very versatile guitar, great for metal, good for everything else.
I'm so happy. I get to eat a muffin.
Quote by space aids
You are so happy to eat a muffin it's kinda scary.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
Goes around tryina light dudes on fire.
Quote by MakinLattes
Too much Sublime.

I tell a lie, there is no such thing.
Quote by gregs1020
we used to play br00tz on a hanna montana purple washburn through a JSX fullstack at the store.

what's at tell ya?

Best mental picture I've had in the last week.
Main Gear:
Epi Les Paul Ultra II
Bastard Telecaster
Pignose Legendary 7-100

Manga I'm reading!!!
Bleach, OP, Naruto, GE, Rosario+Vampire, Soul Eater, Kyou Kara Ore Wa, Kimi No Iru Machi, HSD Kenichi, and many more!!!
There is no such thing as a metal guitar. Period. I can play metal on a Melody Maker and it sounds like metal. Metal has been around a lot longer then pointy super strat and vee wannabes.
Bhaok

The following statement is true. The proceeding statement is false.
While well intentioned, none of these above posts are correct.

Gibson Les Pauls are great guitars, don't get me wrong, but when you say "metal" often times that is supposed to be meant as low tuning, whether you will be this person I do not know. Metal can be played in any tuning.

On the short scale of a gibson, it's harder to play and keep setup if you want to play say something in b or a. C shouldn't be too much of a problem.

That being said, if you're just playing drop d, e flat, d standard, c standard, or drop c standard you should be fine with a short scale guitar. Personally, I wouldn't play the short scale in C, but it's doable.

Once you hit the realm of b and a (which is what a lot of metal bands use) you would be much better suited with a longer scale guitar.

I hope this helped, because it is an important factor into your purchase that nobody seemed to care or have the knowledge of to mention as of yet.
Fender Stratocaster USA Deluxe 2005
MIJ Fender Contemporary Stratocaster '85-'86 HSS System I DiMarzio SD Bridge
Epiphone 2010 Les Paul Tribute
Ibanez AW30ECE Acoustic
Line 6 IV 75w (lol)
Last edited by guitar nubsauce at Oct 1, 2010,
All you need is a high output bridge pickup, however, guitar nubsauce is also right. Then again, I'd prioritize a new amp over new guitar in most cases (obviously depends what amp you have).

At the end of the day Les Pauls can do metal just fine and the heavy wood is just a bonus personanly. And I find it possible to goto Drop C on my Vintage V100 without the strings getting too loose.
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser Fr
Peavey 6505+ 112
John 5 thinks this argument is silly.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 73-78
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 24-7

yep

Edit^

that chick looks like a dude wtf?

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
I thought Les Pauls were the default for metal?
Guitars:
Davison SG
Line 6 Variax 600
Line 6 JTV 69s
Squier Classic Bibe Telecaster Thinline
Quote by necrosis1193
John 5 thinks this argument is silly.

lol,agreed. He seems to do great at metal bluegrass(or whatever you wanna call it) with a tele.
My Sound Makers
ESP Eclipse II
Epi Les Paul Studio
Fender Blues Jr.
I'm currently playing metal/metalcore with a Fender Standard Strat with 3 single coils. I just lowered the middle pickup all the way and raised the brdge one decently to try and get a more humbuckerish tone. I can hear the difference, but idk. I also use the 4th position on the switch (bridge/middle combo). I run that through a boss MT-2 (no flaming, I had it modded and i eq'd it very well, and i run that through a vox.
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"
Quote by Tom 1.0

Edit^

John Lowery is a man.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
nah, if you have a solid-bodied guitar with a bridge humbucker it should work at least decently if the amp is aimed at brootz. However, having a guitar which is more aimed at metal will generally help too. I mean my amp is easily capable of brootz, and I prefer to play metal on it with my metal guitars.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Anything with humbuckers should do nicely. It depends on if your going for metal tone or to shread if so you might look at a Jackson or Ibanez. Amps are also pretty important. You just gota play with your settings a lot. I get a great metal tone from my Epiphone sg and old pevey amp.
really? you should ask people like me
i use my Gibson Les Paul for drop Bb for playing Behemoth and drop a for some awesome metal. Its going into a Peavey Vypyr 30, i use the Dual Rectifier channel. Trust me, it just sounds brootal
Quote by guitar nubsauce
While well intentioned, none of these above posts are correct.

Gibson Les Pauls are great guitars, don't get me wrong, but when you say "metal" often times that is supposed to be meant as low tuning, whether you will be this person I do not know. Metal can be played in any tuning.

On the short scale of a gibson, it's harder to play and keep setup if you want to play say something in b or a. C shouldn't be too much of a problem.

That being said, if you're just playing drop d, e flat, d standard, c standard, or drop c standard you should be fine with a short scale guitar. Personally, I wouldn't play the short scale in C, but it's doable.

Once you hit the realm of b and a (which is what a lot of metal bands use) you would be much better suited with a longer scale guitar.

I hope this helped, because it is an important factor into your purchase that nobody seemed to care or have the knowledge of to mention as of yet.

Have you ever tried superlow tunings on a gibson scale? With the right strings they sound killer at Bstand or even A. My sg is in dropped A. I saw Brujeria a few years back and the guitarist was just using some old SG. They were in A stand, give or take a halfstep. That was the bassist from Napalm on guitar, BTW. Baritone scales aren't absolutely needed until you get down around F, like Meshug. Buttloads of deathmetal acts use standard length guits, 6 string ones at that. My RG is in dropped G and sounds anything but muddy, but it's also strung 13-65.
Someone remind me to do a blind A/B poll thread on a related topic sometime. I want to do a comparison between my Carvin's bridge humbucker and the bridge split/mid combination, and see what people think sounds better with a metal sound. I know this is a question of shape stereotypes, not pickups, but I really want to see if the humbucker is what people like more. Probably won't work as well as I hope, but I still want to give it a shot.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 73-78
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 24-7
Quote by Tom 1.0

Edit^

That is a dude. It is John 5.

You don't NEED a "metal guitar" to play metal, but it will be a lot easier to play fast on a metal-oriented neck.

I can honestly say that my legato and fingerwork is much better on my Ibanez than it is on my SG.
Last edited by TMF128 at Oct 1, 2010,
yeah you see zakk has emgs in a LP and a maple neck, specifically to help counteract the reasons why LPs wouldn't be the #1 choice for metal, generally. They'll work for metal ok, no problem- but they wouldn't really be most people's first pick for an out-and-out metal guitar.

Oh, and inb4 hundreds of pics and posts of metal guitarists who play Les Pauls. I know a bunch of famous metal players play les pauls.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by LP_CL
The only thing you need is a guitar with a humbucker in the bridge to play metal. And even then...

A high gain amp is much more important than which guitar you use.

this is all you need to know. and J5 ftw [/thread]
Quote by valterra
You traded him a sword for the guitar? You do realize that a smart person would just agree to the trade, take the sword, slay you with it, keep all of the loot and call it a day, right?

....What are they teaching you kids in school these days?!
I decided a long time ago that if I ever decide to buy just a straight up metal rig, the main guitar for said rig would be a Gretsch Jet. I've seen some hardcore players playing hollowbodies, too... so, no.
find a guitar you are comfortable with.

find an amp that makes the sound you want.

That is all.
Gear:
Modded Steinberger Spirit (white) (SD-AH/EMG Select)
Modded Steinberger GP-2R (white) (EMG81/60)
Peavey XXL head
Hughes and Kettner Cream Machine
Hughes and Kettner Blues Master
huh whut?

you don't really
I'm up for building you a pedal.
(Or modding nearly anything moddable)
(PM Me.)
Quote by TMF128
That is a dude. It is John 5.

You don't NEED a "metal guitar" to play metal, but it will be a lot easier to play fast on a metal-oriented neck.

I can honestly say that my legato and fingerwork is much better on my Ibanez than it is on my SG.

Lol- I've gone full circle with neck preference and now pick up my SG more often than the Ibanez. 12"r and fatter neck are where I'm at now- traditional. Having said that, I still enjoy the RG.
Nope. I can get great metal tones out of my Ibanez semihollow. Mind you, they're more sludge-type tones, but they're still metal.
Quote by CryingLightning
I'd recommend getting http://www.ibanez.com/ElectricGuitars/model-RG350DX

The iBanez RG350DX. Good reviews on it, plus it's fairly good for metal. In Clean is sounds sexy, with Distortion amazing. Look up some reviews on UG.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Have you actually owned that guitar?

I have. Terrible Terrible guitar. Bridge sucks, stock pups suck, everything sucks. It sucks. Don't get it.
Quote by rmr024
Well, in California, people carry around devices that control the minds of bears. So expect to see people walking their bears.

Also, don't be surprised if some robot hookers try to solicit sex to you on the streets.
Quote by STABxYOU
John Lowery is the man.

fix'd

Imo, No, you can play anything on any guitar, some guitars do some stuff better than others.

Also;

"Guitar is tactile, It's about how you play it"
- Joe Bonamassa

Quote by Mad Marius
DBZ guitars, love'em. Especially their Les Piccolo model.
Page 1 of 2