i found this cable laying around, i think i remember a friend giving me a short speaker cable, but i am unsure if it was speaker cable that he used through the amp (he wasn't the brightest), or even if it is that specific cable.

can i see visually?

can i check with a DMM?
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by NakedInTheRain
Usually the speaker cable barrel jacks are a lot bigger.

on this one, it isn't obvious. i can tell most of the time.

for this cable i am really thinking it is speaker, but don't want to hook it up, mess up my OT and then find out.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
i am thinking the resistance would be higher, but i have no frame of reference.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
usually it says either speaker or instrument cable on the cord. that is how i usually tell.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Quote by gumbilicious
usually it says either speaker or instrument cable on the cord. that is how i usually tell.

there is no writing left on the cable, although it is in good shape. i looked at it closer and it says neutrik on the cable ends. i unscrew the ends of the cable and the wire looks thicker than average (hence me leaning that its a speaker cable), and also my friend didn't own any pedals at the time (that i knew of) and what use would he have for a 3' cable other than for head to cab? what use does anybody have for a 3' cable other than connecting a head to an amp
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
You open up the jack. If it's speaker cable, there should be two thick wires inside. If it's instrument cable, there will be one skinny wire with shielding around it.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
Quote by Kanthras
You open up the jack. If it's speaker cable, there should be two thick wires inside. If it's instrument cable, there will be one skinny wire with shielding around it.

that was the first thing i did. they look thicker than average, but not necessarily thicker than my monster instrument cables. they look thicker than a cheaper cable i have laying around, but i just don't have a good frame of reference. also this is a cheaper speaker cable. probably not more than a $10-$12 cable, so its certainly not as good as the other speaker cables i use.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by trashedlostfdup
that was the first thing i did. they look thicker than average, but not necessarily thicker than my monster instrument cables. they look thicker than a cheaper cable i have laying around, but i just don't have a good frame of reference. also this is a cheaper speaker cable. probably not more than a $10-$12 cable, so its certainly not as good as the other speaker cables i use.
Right, so it has two fairly large equally sized wires inside and no shielding? Definitely speaker cable.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Quote by Kanthras
Right, so it has two fairly large equally sized wires inside and no shielding? Definitely speaker cable.

yea. it just has to be. partially to the larger wires and lack of insulation, and partially due to the fact that what use would my friend would have had with a three footer without owning any pedals, other than to be a speaker cable. now that i think about it he may have bought a monster and gave me the old one, as he was just one of those people that never had anything extra sitting around.

so i am going to try it when everybody inthe house wakes up. i use good speaker cables, with no exceptions (i really have good luck with monster), except i picked up a new amp, and am short one, and don't feel like dropping $40 to get a speaker cable to use for an amp that i don't even play on a weekly basis (its the valveking).
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Lack of insulation? Insulation is like the plasticy/rubbery covering on wires.
If theres no insulation inside at all then i dunno wat that is. Unless you mean sheilding. Just to be clear

Instrument cable

Speaker cable
I always found it weird that speaker cables don't need to be shielded.
Water which is too pure has no fish - Ts'ai Ken T'an
Quote by Ratraisin
It would be fairly pointless. The speaker cables are not very susceptible to electromagnetic interference. What little interference there is, will be completely drowned out by the actual signal.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Quote by Ratraisin

Because the heat of the energy moving through the cable would heat up any sheilding pretty hot after prolonged periods. Potentioally melting insulation since the sheilding is wrapped compactly around the signal wire, causing shorts, which we all know its pretty bad if your amp is running loadless because your cable shorted out.

^And that.
^ You mean induced currents in the shielding or the actual wires heating up due to resistive heating? I don't think either effect would be significant in speaker cables, tbh.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Speaker cables don't need shielding for two reasons. One, they are in a low impedance circuit terminating in 10's of ohms. Low impedances are like shorts to a weak induced signal. Two, they are a higher voltage level signal, which completely dominate any weak induced noise. Instrument cables are just the opposite. They are used in high impedance circuits (typically terminated in 200K-1M ohms) and the signals are very weak, which would compete with induced noise.
Last edited by fly135 at Oct 1, 2010,
This is what ive just been told, that instrument cables will melt after prolonged use between a head and cab because a speaker cable is designed to carry a powered signal, where-as instrument cables only carry a small amount of current.

The nature of instrument cables being wrapped in the copper strands for sheilding allows for alot more heat dispersion throughout the cable, so it gets hot, potentially melting insulation or loosening of solder joints.

Speaker cables have thicker better insulation and thicker conductors designed to handle much more power.
Quote by fly135
Speaker cables don't need shielding for two reasons. One, they are in a low impedance circuit terminating in 10's of ohms. Low impedances are like shorts to a weak induced signal. Two, they are a higher voltage level signal, which completely dominate any weak induced noise. Instrument cables are just the opposite. They are used in high impedance circuits (typically terminated in 200K-1M ohms) and the signals are very weak, which would compete with induced noise.

Nicely explained, thanks (and everyone else, too ).

Although my Dad has used instrument cables for decades to connect his cab without a fire, I've never done so myself. On a related note, it might be handy to know that in a pinch, you can make a good speaker cable from household AC wire (such as from an extension cord).
Water which is too pure has no fish - Ts'ai Ken T'an
The problem with using an instrument cable as a speaker cable is the size of the center conductor. You could probably play all day at home practice levels with an instrument cable. But cranking a 100 watt amp for a while might generate enough heat in the center conductor to cause a problem.

When you look at the numbers an instrument cable should be able to handle quite a bit of amp output before having a problem. It certainly wouldn't bother me to use an instrument cable at home if I needed to. Using the example of the 20 awg instrument cable above, you are only generating about 1/6 of a watt of heat per foot in the center conductor when driving an 8 ohm speaker with a 100 watt amp.