Hey guys. I'm a super beginner and I really want to improve. I think the best way to improve atm is just learning new songs and such.

Can you guys please recommend me some beginner songs that I can use as a stepping-stone to the next level?

I would appreciate any good songs but the genre I prefer is Rock. I currently have no pedals, but I do have an Epiphone Les Paul and Vox AC15C1 amp so songs that I can play using my amp would be great!

Thanks in advance!!

PS- I do know there is a beginner's song program but theres just way too many songs to choose from and I really don't know that many songs. Hopefully, as my guitar journey carries on, my knowledge of songs increase.
Last edited by Skitsofrenic at Oct 1, 2010,
One of the first songs I ever learned was Come As You Are by Nirvana.
Also may want to check out some songs like Wonderwall by Oasis to get some open chord movement going.

Some simple stuff from the 90s.

I also highly recommend practicing scales as well with a metronome to increase technique and begin to develop your ear.

You want to get to the next level just practice everything - not just songs.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
-Gibson Les Paul Studio - Gem Series
-ESP Eclipse II Standard
-ESP Horizon FR II Standard
-Marshall TSL 602
-Peavey 6505+
-Mesa 2x12 Rectifer Cab
Quote by ESP_Azrael
One of the first songs I ever learned was Come As You Are by Nirvana.
Also may want to check out some songs like Wonderwall by Oasis to get some open chord movement going.

Some simple stuff from the 90s.

I also highly recommend practicing scales as well with a metronome to increase technique and begin to develop your ear.

You want to get to the next level just practice everything - not just songs.

How do I practice scales? Do I just play the scale chords over and over again or is there a different way of practicing scales? Explain in detail please ^^
Quote by Skitsofrenic
How do I practice scales? Do I just play the scale chords over and over again or is there a different way of practicing scales? Explain in detail please ^^

The way I do it - take a given scale, for now we will look at something simple using a C Major (all natural tones - no sharps or flats).

Notes would be C D E F G A B C

I take this scale and play it throughout the various positions/patterns on the fretboard.

So I would play the C major starting on the 3rd fret of the A string (C) and ending on the 8th fret of the high e string (C) and then back down. I repeat this a few times and then move to the extended version on the C Major scale and then after this I would run through a few 3 octave scales (which would start on the 8th fret of low e string).

Basically just start learning to take a scale and play it all across the fretboard.

Also take the basic scale patterns and apply them in different keys.

I am a terrible teacher so I hope this somewhat made sense to you haha.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
-ESP Eclipse II Standard
-Marshall TSL 602
-Peavey 6505+
-Mesa 2x12 Rectifer Cab
I came across this awesome song named Forever by Kamelot by luck. Is this a good song for a beginner to learn? Also, should beginners stick with easy songs or is it ok to learn hard songs? Will learning hard songs right off the bat have negative impact on the beginner?
My theory is if you want to try and play it go for it. There is no what's best to me.

The main thing is if you take it slow, by section, and learn to play it perfectly at slow tempos you will be fine.

Biggest piece of advice I can give a beginner is to not get frustrated. There will be some songs that are out of your league (hell there are some songs that are out of even the best players league). Just need to not get frustrated with things and remember that practice makes perfect. Take it slow and stay determined. Know your limitations and don't look at them as a bad thing. Use them as a goal to get better - they become a guide for you to focus on improving the "lacking" areas.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
-ESP Eclipse II Standard
-Marshall TSL 602
-Peavey 6505+
-Mesa 2x12 Rectifer Cab
Tyvm for spending your time to answer my questions ^^ Its true that I get frustrated from time to time but I get bummed out more often because of boredom. Since I'm a beginner, I don't really know how to play that many songs nor do I have any techniques. Hope as I improve, I start having more fun from being able to play a large selection of songs!!
That is why just take it slow and practice a variety of different scales, chords, arpeggios, and songs - even if its just learning new riffs/parts of songs.

Practice, practice, practice but try to have fun while doing it.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
-ESP Eclipse II Standard
-Marshall TSL 602
-Peavey 6505+
-Mesa 2x12 Rectifer Cab
-Smells like teen spirit ( Nirvana )
-Iron Man ( Black Sabbath )
-Nothing Else Matters ( Metallica )
-For Whom The Bell Tolls ( Metallica )
-Come as you are ( Nirvana )

Can you manage these?
I know you said you don't have any pedals...But the first song I learned to play was Seven Nation Army...Even the solo is easy....The only thing you really need to work on for this song is your power chord changes..goodluck