Aside from the Epiphone explorers appearing on Thomann, does anyone have any suggestions to Explorer shaped basses?

I've also been trying to hunt down the arctic white explorer bass, but to no avail - I can only find the black or the natural kinda one (thomann). So if anyone has a link to where they may have seen that, I'd also be grateful!

I'm in the UK, so the guitar needs to either be in the UK or (like Thomann), in Europe with relatively cheap delivery.

As an added idea...how much would it cost to build one up myself? I can't find a body-only seller anywhere in the UK. (it'd cost a bomb to import it from the US). I wouldn't mind piecing together my own at all, as I've done a few guitars myself
Love the icemans, but they're nowt like the explorer, in my opinion.
Dont think the metalmans come in white, and the headstock is vile haha.

No idea why the natural finish is about £40 more expensive than the black finish on Thomann either.
Quote by Instrumania

No idea why the natural finish is about £40 more expensive than the black finish on Thomann either.

because if you can see the wood, then they have to make sure it's a nice looking bit of wood = more expensive.
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
Quote by gilly_90
because if you can see the wood, then they have to make sure it's a nice looking bit of wood = more expensive.

You raise a good...if obvious but overlooked... point!
LTD has an explorer-esque bass, only comes in black though as far as I know.

Try looking used, Jackson used to make some, and Ibanez used to have the Destroyer line.

EDIT: if you're willing to put your own bass together, you could always just get an Epi Explorer in a different color and repaint it white.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Last edited by Tostitos at Oct 1, 2010,
Warwick Stryker. It'll cost an arm and a leg, and I'm not sure about the availability of the paintjob directly from them, but it is one sexy beast.
Shame that white one is in the US! that really is just what i want, but it'd cost an arm and a leg by the time i get it over here with import etc

I certainly dont mind entirely piecing together my own bass either, if I could find the body on its own. I enjoy those kinda projects. But I think if I can't find the alpine white one over here, I'll just have the option of repainting a black one.

I'm having a dig about for the Ltd ones too, but I think the Epi ones are cheaper.
^ the Epi's are cheaper, but the LTD's are better made.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Quote by Tostitos
^ the Epi's are cheaper, but the LTD's are better made.

and they are basically T-birds (pups are the same im sure).Still they are nice but the LTD in question is the absolute Entry level one im sure so its a wee bit sketch if they only did a mid range one :P
Guitar Gear
Guitar: Ibanez GRG140 (black)
Amp:Peavey Vypyr 75

Bass Gear
Bass: Fender P-bass MIM,Peavey Millenium 5 BXP (x2),Epiphone Thunderbird
Amp:Ampeg PF500 w PF210 cab
Pedals: ODB-3,Big Muff.
Quote by Razgriz_101
and they are basically T-birds (pups are the same im sure).Still they are nice but the LTD in question is the absolute Entry level one im sure so its a wee bit sketch if they only did a mid range one :P

I've actually heard that the Epi Explorer's are a bit more reliable QC wise than the non-pro T-birds, but from my personal experience, I've played lots of bad Epi's, the worst LTD's I've had a go on were unimpressive, but had no major flaws.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
I have the LTD in question here and I have to say, it's not really a bad bass at all. It does have a serious case of neck-dive and it's kind of heavy, but if you can live with that it's a decent bass. You can get a good variety of tones from it, believe it or not, I actually get a very nice warm tone out of it.

Edit: You have to remember you can't really compare it to a Warwick or Musicman, that just wouldn't be fair
So that with good courage we say, “The Lord is my helper. I will not fear. What can man do to me?”

-Hebrews 13:6
Last edited by TrabenBassist22 at Oct 4, 2010,
Cheers for the suggestions guys! Been very helpful.
I'll see what and where I cna find over here in the UK, to see hwo they compare with price against each other.

Shall head over to GB&C about the possibility of building my own, also.

Cheers!