my drummer has a 300W bass amp i use in practice, but im looking for a good guitar amp. what should i look for, and do i need 300W in a guitar amps? i dont have alot of money, so my ceiling is 800...

we will start playing in medium size church side buildings. Afterwards we will hit clubs and a couple of outside amphitheaters.

Am looking at a Ibanez half stack, 150W head. is that enough?
Quote by mullet1337
Holy ****. **** you. You ****ing ****.
Lol, I dunno about that Ibanez half stack but I think it's one of those extremely crap amps that Ibanez make. What music do you play?

Metal - Peavey 6505 is good + Lot of other things.
Rock - Try something like a marshall tsl/dsl/jvm.
pop -....Uhh, Orange?
Christian Screamo. im a lead guitarist.

ive played the Ibanez alot, its in a shop in town, and it sounds good, and its very popular.
Quote by mullet1337
i think you want high wattage in bass amps for headroom. in guitar amps you normally don't want headroom, so you normally don't need anywhere near that wattage. Is it for gigs?

generally speaking for tube amps, if you don't need pristine (or any) cleans, 15-30 watts, if you do need cleans, 30-50 watts or so, 100 watts if you need loads of headroom, play metal, or just happen to prefer the tone (you tend to get a firmer bottom end).

EDIT: the ibanez is very popular? lolwut?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Bass amps are generally ridiculous wattage because bass frequencies need more power to amplify them.

A 30 watt valve amp is enough for a gigging guitarist.
Or around 70 watt solid state.

Dont buy a 100 watt half stack in your budget. They tend to be pretty shit. Look for a good combo amp instead.
what marshall, an mg?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
xD naw man, there is a really nice vintage tube marshall in the store, i never looked up the name of it...
Quote by mullet1337
Quote by Dave_Mc
what marshall, an mg?

With a boss distortion pedal?

I can see why that sounds appealing.

loljoke.

TS look out for the Peavey 6505+ combo.
btw, its a Boss Metalcore pedal. tis awesome.
Quote by mullet1337
If you were to get a 100 watt valve amp. it may be too loud to get the distortion you want. Your best getting something of around 20-60 watts. I wouldn't bother with a ss amp either as you'll only regret it in the future.

I'd look at the Peavey 6505+ 112 Combo as well as the Bugera 6262 and 6260.
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser Fr
Peavey 6505+ 112
The BOSS metalcore pedal is NOT awesome...repeat NOT awesome. Just go out and buy yourself a Peavey 6505+ 112 combo and thank UG later. Seriously, it's what you want for a metal band.
Ibanez RGR421EXFM >> Maxon OD808 >> BOSS NS-2 >> Peavey 5150 212
Get 6505 1x12 combo, don't use a pedal the 6505 has plenty of gain. And yes, it will be loud enough. 60 watts tube is a lot.
Quote by footsteps7173

Yea, the http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-TBX150H-Tone-Blaster-Xtreme-Guitar-Amp-Head?sku=480946 is very popular around my area. lots of people love it because the x channel sounds like a marshall wide open with a boss distortion pedal.

Yeah...the price is popular...

That amp is shitty dude...I remember trying that when I was looking at cheap amps...

...I picked the MG over that amp. Looking back, I stand by my decision.
Quote by rmr024
Well, in California, people carry around devices that control the minds of bears. So expect to see people walking their bears.

Also, don't be surprised if some robot hookers try to solicit sex to you on the streets.
Quote by footsteps7173
btw, its a Boss Metalcore pedal. tis awesome.

I'll have to disagree. I'll also have to disagree about the Toneblaster amp.

The 6505+ combo that was mentioned is a great amp for screamo and related stuff.
Quote by mikey_360
If you were to get a 100 watt valve amp. it may be too loud to get the distortion you want.

lolwut? I'm guessing he's looking at brootz if he has a metalcore, that's gonna be all (or almost all) preamp gain.

Yeah 6505 sounds good.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by footsteps7173
btw, its a Boss Metalcore pedal. tis shit.

Fixed. You have no idea what you're missing out on yet. Go play through a Mesa Rectifier, Peavey 6505, XXX, JSX, 3120, Marshall JVM/DSL/TSL/JCM, Bugera 6260/333, any Soldano or Jet City, Engl, Diezel, Splawn, Blackstar, EVH 5150 III, etc. You can definitely afford at least a few of those.
Quote by dr_shred
FrustratedRocka you are a legend

Quote by littlephil

The man clearly knows his shit.

Quote by Banjocal

one of the best, educated and logical posts I've ever seen on UG in the Pit. Well done good sir.
Last edited by FrustratedRocka at Oct 1, 2010,
Quote by FrustratedRocka
Fixed. You have no idea what you're missing out on yet. Go play through a Mesa Rectifier, Peavey 6505, XXX, JSX, 3120, Marshall JVM/DSL/TSL/JCM, Bugera 6260/333, any Soldano or Jet City, Engl, Diezel, Splawn, Blackstar, EVH 5150 III, etc. You can definitely afford at least a few of those.

It's no use. Those amps will sound no better to his ears if he likes the ibanez.

Just trust what they tell you hear. The ibanez is terrible, these amps are tons better and the peaveys can be had at great prices. Your ear for tone will develop and you will be glad you did
I will check it out. sounds legit. Thanks guys.
Quote by mullet1337
Get a 6505+ 112

/thread
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone