Hello everyone!! I have a question about transcribing violin solos for different techniques..I got this idea the other day that I was going to try to transcribe paganinis violin solos for guitar, and I was thinking, could I pick 1 of his solos and make 5 different arrangements of it?? U know?? Like a alternate picking arrangement, sweep picking arrangement, legato arrangement, tapping arrangement, and fingerpicking arrangement?? Could that be done?? I was thinking, if I could do this, then I could just play the solo at like, 40 bpm, then when I get it perfect at that speed, I could bump it up 8 bpm and play it perfectly at that speed, and so on, and so on..What do u guys think?? Do u think it could be done?? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks!!
I doubt it, all those techniques would have to be employed just to do one of his solos.

I mean, how could you sweep something, then tap it???
Quote by JacobTheMe
JacobTheEdit: Hell yeah Ruben.

Quote by Jackal58
I met Jesus once. Cocksucker still owes me 20 bucks.
Quote by diofan88
I doubt it, all those techniques would have to be employed just to do one of his solos.

That would be easy, arranging things so they focus on different techniques is often just a simple matter of re-fingering things so you change the number of notes on each string.

Edit: simple example:

e|---------3h7-----------------
b|-------5-------------h5h8t12-
g|-----4-----------------------
d|---5-------------------------
a|-7-----------h7h10t14--------
e|-----------------------------

TS: It might work, it might not, it probably mostly depends on the piece and how much practice you're willing to put into it.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Last edited by Zaphod_Beeblebr at Oct 1, 2010,
Quote by diofan88

it actually can be done, and not nesesarily just rearanging things either. the solos have a melody of sorts.... as long as you stick to the melody you can add any technique.....

If you ever listen to hedrix's cover of "sunshine of your love", you'll hear a great example of this.... he doesn't play exactly what clapton does, but he gets the overall melody of it.... I would really love to hear this when it's done so if you could maybe post it sometime that would be really cool.....
Quote by diofan88

Really easily, since sweeping and tapping are both generally used to play arpeggios.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Unfortunately a lot of Paganini's flashiest stuff translates really badly to the guitar. The 1st Caprice is unplayable, sometimes you're dealing with harmonics and double stops (eg, 4th Caprice) where the notes can fit on guitar but they just don't work on an instrument without the attack of a bow.

On the other hand, plenty can just be moved across verbatim (5th Caprice for example), you almost wouldn't need to work on guitaristic fingerings as long as you have decent fretboard knowledge.
I sightread and use some saxophone music and Bach piano inventions.
Their great for technique because they're difficult, and you have to learn the transfer of 'idioms' or cliches on that instrument; like in saxophone music, a lot of wider interval jumps are common which means string-skipping practice on guitar, and piano has many fast two-note trills = legato.
Since the Violin is tuned in fifths and has a higher range than the guitar...
I think you should stop worrying about techniques and actually start thinking about how will you make a violin piece into a variation that is playable on the guitar.
Also, tapping some of his pieces will make more of an inconvenience.