Hi

I'm wondering bit about how pedals work. I got a line 6 Spider IV 75w and I want to be able to switch between clean and distorted sound while I'm playing. A pedal is the right thing right? Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance!
Well, if you wanna switch between the clean and distortion on the amp while playing then you need a footswitch, but seeing as the Spiders distortion is laughable, then yes, an overdrive/distortion pedal is what you want. But you should really get a better amp.
Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.
I would agree. A pedal would give you more versatility.
Audio Ecstasy Productions!

Guitar/Backline Tech in the Los Angeles area and on tour!
Custom guitar pedals and cabling for stage and studio!

I set up DAWs and tweak computers to record audio. Hit me up @ audioecstasyproductions[at}gmail.com
Quote by Burgery
Well, if you wanna switch between the clean and distortion on the amp while playing then you need a footswitch, but seeing as the Spiders distortion is laughable, then yes, an overdrive/distortion pedal is what you want. But you should really get a better amp.

This.
"In modern music, a lot of people are really stuck on the example, asif it were the idea. It takes millions of examples to articulate an idea, so don't get stuck on the f*cking example." - Joshua Homme, 2008.
umm, the amp is alright xD Ive only been playing for a year so its good for practicing Pretty cheap too ;D And the distortion is actually okay I beleive...^^

Footpedal adds some nice effects worth the price?
Last edited by Metalrawrr at Oct 1, 2010,
Quote by Metalrawrr
umm, the amp is INCREDIBLY BAD xD Ive only been playing for a year so its BAD for practicing Pretty cheap too ;D And the distortion is actually SHITE I beleive...^^

Footpedal adds some nice effects worth the price?

Corrected.
Gear:

Ibanez RG350M
Peavey 6505+112

Boss CS-1
EHX Big Muff Pi
EHX Small Clone
KORG Pitchblack
Hahah lmao ;D
So okay, lets say its shit, but will a footpedal solve the problem?
Yes a footswitch will d what you are asking.

They make like a $40 one for that amp that can switch between a couple presets and I think the next one up is like $100.
I don't agree with anyone here. I don't really like the Spider either, but if you're happy with it I don't care. I'm pretty sure the channels are footswitchable, you'd better just get a footswitch. A distortion pedal over you clean channel won't sound that much better than the distortion on the Spider.
Quote by WtrPlyr
I don't agree with anyone here. I don't really like the Spider either, but if you're happy with it I don't care. I'm pretty sure the channels are footswitchable, you'd better just get a footswitch. A distortion pedal over you clean channel won't sound that much better than the distortion on the Spider.

thankyou, finally some sense!

no, the spider doesn't sound good at all, but it's fine for practice, and if you've only been playing a year you probably wouldn't know the difference anyway (no offense, it just takes time to develop an ear for tone. as evidence I present the fact that you're happy with your spider).

here's the catch: if you throw an OD/Dist/Fuzz infront of that amp, it will only make matters worse, because most SS modellers, yours in particular, do NOT respond well to pedals!

Get a cheap footswitch and make some presets.