im trying to find some other chords to transition to but everything sounds so different. i got it on guitar pro if you wanna hear it, or maybe help write the song together...
it's a progressive rock song..
EDIT: with a little jazz
Last edited by ashley7000 at Oct 1, 2010,
Just do whatever you feel sounds right, music isn't rocketscience. It reflects what you feel.
You can even try writing 2 different versions of the song and than see wich one you like most.
Fender Jazzmaster
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Martin OM-1 (acoustic)
Do you know what key you're in, or what key you're trying to write in?
Quote by yearzero
Do you know what key you're in, or what key you're trying to write in?

yes, F sharp minor/ A major
i wanna give the song more energy, but i used 7th chords, so power chords dont really 'transition' well
Rather than blindy following recipes, why not get some actual experience playing songs 1st.
When you have enough experience you won't need to ask for help writing your own music.

No offense intended.
shred is gaudy music
Quote by ashley7000
-__- how would you know about my expierence playing songs...

an assumption based on your question. Again, no offense intended.

was I right though? Like how many songs do you know how to play by memory? (all the way through)

Keep in mind that if I thought throwing some fancy words and theoretical recipes your way would help, Id do just that. What I assume your missing though, is something else. Maybe I'm wrong.
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Oct 1, 2010,
I only know like 5 songs completly, and like 1000s of seperate parts of songs. But playing songs all the way through doesnt really benefit on the creative part.
Quote by ashley7000
I only know like 5 songs completly, and like 1000s of seperate parts of songs. But playing songs all the way through doesnt really benefit on the creative part.

really?

To me it seems like your question is asking for help on the exact thing that you have the least experience with..... songs in their entire context.

right? I mean you've written a small bit (something you have lots of practice with).... but you can't connect it to/create the whole thing (something you have very little experience with).

makes perfect sense to me.

suggestion: build up a repertoire of full songs that you can play. Study them if you have the ability. But at the very least get them in your ears and under your fingers..... and memorized of-course. If you don't fill the well, you can't expect to draw from it.
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Oct 1, 2010,
Quote by ashley7000

It absolutely does. How do you gain knowledge about song structure without learning and playing different song structures?
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Quote by ashley7000
yes, F sharp minor/ A major
i wanna give the song more energy, but i used 7th chords, so power chords dont really 'transition' well

I don't have a lot of experience with this, but you could try using different voicings of the same chords or use inversions....technically you'd still be using the same two chords but the slight variation in sounds might help.
Quote by Sean0913
What are the 2 chords?

Sean

i dont know the exact names, something like D7 and A7 ?

e---------
b---------
g---------
d-11---6
a-9-----4
A-10---5
Quote by GuitarMunky
really?

To me it seems like your question is asking for help on the exact thing that you have the least experience with..... songs in their entire context.

right? I mean you've written a small bit (something you have lots of practice with).... but you can't connect it to/create the whole thing (something you have very little experience with).

makes perfect sense to me.

suggestion: build up a repertoire of full songs that you can play. Study them if you have the ability. But at the very least get them in your ears and under your fingers..... and memorized of-course. If you don't fill the well, you can't expect to draw from it.

^^^^

makes sense to me too.
<Insert Witty Comment Here>

1981 Fender Lead I Seymour Duncan humbucker, Mesa BoogieIIIRectifer, MKIIRhodes,PRS
Try adding a melody line or a riff over that and then see if the song will progress itself (when you can hear or have an idea for what you think should be next). Different rhythms or adding instruments in all can help to get it moving.
Quote by DiminishedFifth
Who's going to stop you? The music police?
Just make that the song the entire way through.

Or otherwise what monkey said.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by ashley7000
i dont know the exact names, something like D7 and A7 ?

e---------
b---------
g---------
d-11---6
a-9-----4
A-10---5

Assuming that you mean the guitar is tuned to E and not A - this is implying a Dmaj7 and Amaj7

You could try these

2 4 4 x x x

And follow with...

3 x 0 0 x x

(OR)

0 2 2 x x x

And back to D Maj7

Have fun...
Last edited by Sean0913 at Oct 1, 2010,