Hey UG,

I'm looking for a new amp. Preferably one with valves.
I currently own a Marshall VS100 and it's waaaay too loud. I want an amp that I can crank up and still sounds nice. If it's loud it doesn't really matter but then the sound has to be good on a lower level. The kind of sound I want to get out of it with help from pedals is a nice fat, low and heavy sound. It would also be nice if I could gig with it but I will mainly use it for practice. My budget is around 400$ (around 275 euro).

If you guys could help me out that would be much appreciated.
Basses:
Ibanez ARTB-100 (white)
Fender Standard Jazz (black)
Amp:
Peavey MK VI
I will be playing stuff ranging from rock to metal. But I think I'll be using pedals for that stuff. I also want a nice clean sound.
Basses:
Ibanez ARTB-100 (white)
Amp:
Peavey MK VI
an obvious option would be to look at is the blackstar ht-5, alternativly you could look at a laney cub, they're mostly suited for rock, but can get pretty heavy with it's distortion
Thanks for the suggestion britishsligean, appreciate it.
Basses:
Ibanez ARTB-100 (white)
Amp:
Peavey MK VI
Quote by Perroid
I currently own a Marshall VS100 and it's waaaay too loud.

Okay..It's a solid state amp. I assume the master volume works fine? Just turn it down....

Quote by Perroid
Preferably one with valves.

I want an amp that I can crank up and still sounds nice. If it's loud it doesn't really matter but then the sound has to be good on a lower level.

Tube amps are loud. Sorry. If you want to be able to crank it at a low level, you're probably not going to be able to, not in your budget.
You could get a Doctor Z Airbrake. It limits the volume of the amp, whilst still allowing you to crank it to the max so you can get that full sweeettt tube overdrive. It's like the "power" knob some amps have, which decreases the power output of the amp. Check it out: http://www.drzamps.com/products/z_air_brake.html
Quote by Duv
The only good thing about my MG30 was I was able to have it in my room for 5 years solely as a place to hide cigarettes and condoms.
Attenuators are a horrible solution for bringing an amp to bedroom levels of volume. It never sounds all that good, it loses a lot of treble and dynamics.

Attenuators are best used to bring stage level of volume down a few decibels, so you can crank your amp without drowning the band or deafening the audience.
I know I can turn down my amp, but when I do it sounds like sh*t. I also know tube amps are loud but at least they sound good when I would play them as loud as my VS100.
Basses:
Ibanez ARTB-100 (white)
Amp:
Peavey MK VI
Valve amps around 5w are great for home practice. But for gigable volume at your price range the only one I can find is the Bugera V22. Pretty much suited for the job though.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

Can the Bugera V22 produce the kind of sound I want? I want a heavy sound but I read you can only get such a sound by using pedals.
Basses:
Ibanez ARTB-100 (white)
Amp:
Peavey MK VI
What about the Marshall Class 5 or the Blackstar HT-5, are they any good?
Basses:
Ibanez ARTB-100 (white)
Amp:
Peavey MK VI
I wouldn't recomment any low wattage amo for heavey tones. It breaks too early and has the wrong voicing for metal, unless you use pedals. Again not enough headroom.

I know I can get great tones at bedroom levels with my 40 watt Triple X. If you turn it up a little so its not loud enough to bother but still enough to open it a bit it should be fine.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
I just checked a couple of online stores near Amsterdam (where I live) and I didn't find one that sells a Peavey XXX. Do you know an American store that sells those amps?
Basses:
Ibanez ARTB-100 (white)
Amp:
Peavey MK VI
if you're in europe, peaveys are going to be dear, by and large.

you don't necessarily need a pedal for high gain if the amp is aimed at it (though an overdrive pedal as a slight boost/tightening aid often helps, even if the amp has enough gain), but (good) high gain tube amps tend to be expensive.

for your budget, you might be struggling... maybe a jet city, bugera 6260/6262/333 (if your building has a good fire escape) or peavey 6505 112 if you need enough volume for gigs... or maybe a blackstar ht5 if it's just for home use and you don't mind diode clipping shenanigans in the circuit.

I haven't tried any of those, i just think they're aimed at the stuff you play. i think musicstore and thomann had a deal on some of the bugeras, but it might be over (and they still might be over budget).

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?