Poll: Do you agree with this new test?
Poll Options
View poll results: Do you agree with this new test?
Yes
44 48%
No
41 45%
No opinion
7 8%
Voters: 92.
Page 1 of 2
Since today, our government has introduced a new test against drugs (specifically marihuana and cocaine) in traffic by checking the saliva of the driver.
That's all really wonderful, except that this test will be positive when you have taken one of said drugs 12 hours before the test.
That's what's so bullshit about it: you can go to a party and smoke a few joints, get a good night sleep, go for a drive in the morning and still test positive and be charged a fine of 1.100 up to 11.000 euros and get your license revoked for up to 5 years.

I'd like to know what you think about this.
We are "PSYCHONAUT", Psychedelic/Stoner/Sludge from Belgium.

Check out our recordings and shows here:

BandCamp
YouTube
FaceBook
Honestly, I think the classic roadside sobriety tests are the best way to test drivers, still. They're the only methods that actually test the person's reflexes and ability to function.
I'm rgrockr and I do not approve of this message.
Don't get pulled over then.

Edit^: You can still nail the field sobriety test with flying colors and get booked for DUI/DWI. They're still going to check your blood alcohol level and such with a breathalyzer.
Last edited by RU Experienced? at Oct 1, 2010,
Wait, so doing something illegal gets you into trouble!?!??!
Oh my god, I thought that it was the other way around.
Well, if you're driving badly enough that you're stopped and not being affected by the drugs you took then you probably shouldn't be driving anyway.

Are those drugs legal/decriminalized in Belgium? because I think that legalising all drugs whilst preventing the dangers of a person being intoxicated by said drug is the best possible system for dealing with drugs - well done Belgium if so.

"The mind is its own place, and in itself

Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n"

- John Milton, Paradise Lost
They already have this type of thing here in Australia.

I don't see what's wrong with it? Just the same as breath testing.

Quote by Våd Hamster
Find a dice and assign a number to each girl. Throw the dice.

The number you hope for at the moment you throw the dice, is the one you'll want to keep.
Quote by Nilpferdkoenig
Wait, so doing something illegal gets you into trouble!?!??!
Oh my god, I thought that it was the other way around.

Only in Soviet Russia.

Quote by Våd Hamster

The number you hope for at the moment you throw the dice, is the one you'll want to keep.
Quote by rgrockr
Honestly, I think the classic roadside sobriety tests are the best way to test drivers, still. They're the only methods that actually test the person's reflexes and ability to function.

Drink driving is more about your decision making and ability to focus than your reflexes.
Is it still a God Complex if I really am God?

America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.
Oscar Wilde
Quote by thanksgiving
They already have this type of thing here in Australia.

I don't see what's wrong with it? Just the same as breath testing.

Well no, it's different in that you can test positive despite being sober, that's bad.
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
Quote by Ur all $h1t
Well no, it's different in that you can test positive despite being sober, that's bad.

THANK YOU

BandCamp
YouTube
FaceBook

Seriously, TS, here's the damn thing. Grow up. Don't smoke weed or do coke. It saves you money, saves you brain cells, and saves you time.

And don't give me this crap about how weed isn't harmful. Tell that to my buddy whose mom smoked weed for years and then had a brain aneurism; as I understand it, his mom can barely do anything these days. Tell that to the lady who smoked weed for 20 years and now has moments where she just can't think. Weed kills brain cells!

You can't even argue coke doesn't kill your brain...
Last edited by crazysam23_Atax at Oct 1, 2010,
I thought this thread was not about drugs being good or bad but about the test...

I personally think it's stupid, the technology obviously isn't good enough, I heard on the radio that 20% of the times the test gives a wrong result... Which is alot :|

BUT, if the technology was well developed, I think this would be a positive thing...
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
Don't smoke weed or do coke. It saves you money, saves you brain cells, and saves you time.

And don't give me this crap about how weed isn't harmful. Tell that to my buddy whose mom smoked weed for years and then had a brain aneurism; as I understand it, his mom can barely do anything these days. Tell that to the lady who smoked weed for 20 years and now has moments where she just can't think. Weed kills brain cells!

I don't do coke and I never will, don't worry. I'm not gonna argue about the harmfulness of weed, I'm sure it's not good for you but that's for everyone personally to decide. For me it's just a minor downside to having a good time in college and parties.

However I just wanted to point out the flaws in this test and wanted to see if anyone agreed with me.

BandCamp
YouTube
FaceBook
Quote by Ur all $h1t

But you've still done something illegal (taking drugs) therefore you should be punished.

And don't hate on me you Drug Thread hippies.

Quote by Våd Hamster

Quote by crazysam23_Atax
hurr durr don't smoke weed

Hypocrite.

Edit: for the sake of the thread...
TS...i think they've got the right idea.
They should follow the law by spirit though....not by the letter.
IF you seem sober, they should let you off.
However, if it DOES affect your driving, there should be consequences.
Last edited by unet at Oct 2, 2010,
Quote by Horsedick.MPEG
You should either not do drugs, or don't get pulled over, simple as that

Ever heard of random checks? ............
RIP Tom Searle.
Quote by thanksgiving
But you've still done something illegal (taking drugs) therefore you should be punished.

And don't hate on me you Drug Thread hippies.

Nope as doing something illegal =/= doing something wrong.
-Ronald Reagan

-George Washington
Goodness me, the government is checking to see if people are taking drugs. It's almost as if it thought they're illegal.
Quote by crazysam23_Atax

The ONLY study that weed kills brain cells was done on monkeys who were receiving pure smoke through gas masks, suffocating them. They received something like 60 joints worth of smoke in 5 minutes. That is where the "weed kills brain cells" idea started, and its sad how people still believe it.

Genetically Modified corn was proven to increase chances of organ damage. So if I grow up and have a brain aneurysm, I can blame nachos.
This is why I don't like arguing on the internet.
Quote by damian_91
If only you could back that statement up.
Quote by Zombee
Wolfgang's Philadelphia Study. Look it up yourself.
Quote by damian_91
No need to, absurd generalizations aren't my thing.
EDIT: Zombee, mind showing me a link to that? I'd really love to see.

I see the major problem with this, but is it really going to be a problem? I mean, they might be able to tell how much you've smoked and how recently which could make this something I have a lesser problem with

Apologises if this isn't the case.
Quote by crazysam23_Atax

Yeah, it's horrible. My Nan drank coca-cola her entire life and she now has cancer. DOWN WITH COCA COLA.
Quote by Craigo

Yeah, it's horrible. My Nan drank coca-cola her entire life and she now has cancer. DOWN WITH COCA COLA.

Truth, man. I know a guy who ate nothing but eggs and toast for breakfast his entire life, then at the age of 60, he got hit by a mainline bus.

Fuckin' eggs and toast.
Proud owner of an Engl Thunder 50 Reverb and an Ibanez S470

"The end is extremely fucking nigh..."
Yes it's flawed. But the fact that you're doing something illegal is perfectly fine. If you get caught with weed in your system, it's illegal. How is that unfair? Weed is illegal. It's as simple as that.

Do I have to spell it out to you so that you understand this very basic concept?
Just don't smoke. There's no need to use drugs or alcohol to have fun at a party.
Quote by Ur all $h1t

+1

I mean, what if you entered a room full of pot smokers, then left? It would mean that 12 hours later, you could in theory be positive, even though you never took anything.

Heck, if the same test was done for alcohol with a similar thing [even though it's obviously not possible, but just pretend with me], people who drank a small amount the night before [therefore fine in the morning to drive.] who be found positive.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
Quote by Poglia
Just don't smoke. There's no need to use drugs or alcohol to have fun at a party.

There's no need to go to parties either if we follow that logic.
Quote by boreamor
Yes it's flawed. But the fact that you're doing something illegal is perfectly fine.
In this case it is. Just because it's illegal doesn't make it right that it's illegal.
-Ronald Reagan

-George Washington
Quote by boreamor
Just because it shouldn't be illegal doesn't mean we can ignore it.

Hey, if being fined and jailed is on your to-do list then why not?
В словах есть что-то неприличное.
Quote by boreamor
Just because it shouldn't be illegal doesn't mean we can ignore it.

Exactly. In real life, whether you agree with the law or not, you either abide, or get punished.
Proud owner of an Engl Thunder 50 Reverb and an Ibanez S470

"The end is extremely fucking nigh..."
Quote by Smokey Amp
Exactly. In real life, whether you agree with the law or not, you either abide, or get punished.

That's absolutely not true, laws are not always enforced to the letter or equally.
-Ronald Reagan

-George Washington
Quote by crazysam23_Atax

Seriously, TS, here's the damn thing. Grow up. Don't smoke weed or do coke. It saves you money, saves you brain cells, and saves you time.

Correlation doesn't imply causation, M'Kay?

Also, to those saying "Well you shouldn't be doing drugs anyways" kindly stfu.
That's the same principle as "We're going to search your house. If you're innocent, you have nothing to fear."
I think we took too many drugs when we were kids,
'cause now we like to make
Weird Music
-Wayne Coyne
I don't think anyone should be driving impaired, but that 12-hour deal is bullshit. There isn't any weed or coke in this world that will keep you fucked up for half a day.
Quote by iantheman
Correlation doesn't imply causation, M'Kay?

Also, to those saying "Well you shouldn't be doing drugs anyways" kindly stfu.
That's the same principle as "We're going to search your house. If you're innocent, you have nothing to fear."

Uhm, no it's really not. "We are checking to make sure our drivers aren't intoxicated" is not the same as "Well we're going to give you a physical in the middle of the road to make sure you're not a drug mule". Jobs have random drug tests, schools do, etc. They are really not doing anything wrong.

And frankly, the fact that it is in your system does not mean you're fully sober. All it means now is that you have to be more careful.
Quote by boreamor
Uhm, no it's really not. "We are checking to make sure our drivers aren't intoxicated" is not the same as "Well we're going to give you a physical in the middle of the road to make sure you're not a drug mule". Jobs have random drug tests, schools do, etc. They are really not doing anything wrong.

And frankly, the fact that it is in your system does not mean you're fully sober. All it means now is that you have to be more careful.

They're not checking to make sure you aren't intoxicated, that's not what the test checks. The drugs can still be in one's system but not having any psychoactive effects, which is the case in these tests.
-Ronald Reagan

-George Washington
I don't need any studies to tell me what weed does to a person. Before killing brain cells or whatever, weed makes anyone a lazy fatass. I've seen it repeatedly with many of my friends, and it's all the proof you need. Weed takes the priority in your life and you start making up bs excuses to use it. "It helps me sleep." "It relaxes me." Ffs you don't need a drug to be relaxed. Maybe you wouldn't be so excited if you didn't feel the need for the drug in the first place. It's complete bs. To be able to successfully manage a healthy lifestyle, job (or education studies), and stay active, while smoking weed regularly, is very rare and seldom seen. But, I've seen it and I know it's possible. However that doesn't change the fact that the VAST majority of people who smoke weed REGULARLY are lazy fatasses.
Quote by Thornography
I don't need any studies to tell me what weed does to a person. Before killing brain cells or whatever, weed makes anyone a lazy fatass. I've seen it repeatedly with many of my friends, and it's all the proof you need. Weed takes the priority in your life and you start making up bs excuses to use it. "It helps me sleep." "It relaxes me." Ffs you don't need a drug to be relaxed. Maybe you wouldn't be so excited if you didn't feel the need for the drug in the first place. It's complete bs. To be able to successfully manage a healthy lifestyle, job (or education studies), and stay active, while smoking weed regularly, is very rare and seldom seen. But, I've seen it and I know it's possible. However that doesn't change the fact that the VAST majority of people who smoke weed REGULARLY are lazy fatasses.

Ya except that all you have is ignorant generalisations. I've seen heaps of pot users who are successful; pretty much everyone I know in University does it.
We know that it doesn't kill brain cells, that's empirically observable.
-Ronald Reagan

-George Washington
Quote by Thornography
I don't need any studies to tell me what weed does to a person.

You're right, facts are for pussies.
Quote by crazysam23_Atax

Shut the **** up.
Quote by BeefWellington

what's the point in being "philiosophical"?

Interesting question...
Page 1 of 2