Ok, I'm thinking about ordering this amp: http://www.music123.com/Guitars/Guitar-Amplifiers--Effects/Guitar-Amplifiers/Combo-Amps/Solid-State-Combo-Guitar-Amps/Spider-IV-150-150W-2x12-Guitar-Combo-Amp.site7prod620212.product

Spider IV 150w. My question is, do I need 150, or can I get away easily with 75w? My band plays Metal/HardRock with some punk influence and plan on gigging some venues that are the size of most small clubs. I dont really want to be playing with the volume on 2 (with the 150w), but I also dont want to be cranking to 11 (with the 75w) and not being heard if we play a bigger venue or a possible outdoor concert. Also, a local music shop has the 75w in stock but not the 150. Being in Alaska, that would save me shipping plus like $200 for downgrading the wattage.... Any help?

Thanks,

Daniel
Guitars: Epiphone Slash AFD Les Paul, Schecter Omen-6, and Fender CD-60 Acoustic
Amp: Jet City JCA20H with JCA12s cab
Pedalboard: Crybaby Classic, Boss DS-1, Korg Multi FX, BBE Boosta Grande, Rocktron HUSH Pedal. ProCo Rat.
I would get the 150W. It's always nice to be able to use for bigger venues. 75W is a lot as well but I doubt you will be on level 2 with 150 Watts even in small venues unless it's extremely small.
"For we are nothing without brotherhood and brotherhood is nothing without our brothers" -We Came As Romans
Okay, well firstly I'd like to mention that you're playing Hard Rock and metal, so you need distortion. You've managed to pick in my opinion probably one of the top 3 worst distortions on the market in an amp at the moment.

Also, you'll need 150 watts if you're gigging. 150 watts sounds a lot, but to be honest in solid state amps it really isn't. If you were getting a solid state tube amp, well then obviously we'd be waving goodbye to your ears but actually in my band I practice at volume 7 on a 120 watt amp. So I'd go for the 150 if you're gigging.
Quote by Duv
The only good thing about my MG30 was I was able to have it in my room for 5 years solely as a place to hide cigarettes and condoms.
I understand that it must be hard to get amps in Alaska. But if you can avoid any type of Spider, then do so.

As far as the wattage goes, 150w SS isn't too loud.
"In modern music, a lot of people are really stuck on the example, asif it were the idea. It takes millions of examples to articulate an idea, so don't get stuck on the f*cking example." - Joshua Homme, 2008.
Look into a Peavey Vypyr instead?
Ibanez RGR421EXFM >> Maxon OD808 >> BOSS NS-2 >> Peavey 5150 212
first off look at a better amp, you can get a peavey 6505+ for the same amount and it's miles better
You don't even need 1 watt from a Spider. If you need modeling, buy a Vypyr 60.
Quote by dr_shred
FrustratedRocka you are a legend

Quote by littlephil

The man clearly knows his shit.

Quote by Banjocal

one of the best, educated and logical posts I've ever seen on UG in the Pit. Well done good sir.
You guys must be crazy. I run my amp at about 5 and it's a 75w solid state, it leaves my ears throbbing after the session...

How are you not all deaf? Or is that why you have to run them so loud? XD
Quote by adstr123
Okay, well firstly I'd like to mention that you're playing Hard Rock and metal, so you need distortion. You've managed to pick in my opinion probably one of the top 3 worst distortions on the market in an amp at the moment.

Quote by FuzzLove
I understand that it must be hard to get amps in Alaska. But if you can avoid any type of Spider, then do so.

Quote by DroptuneD
Look into a Peavey Vypyr instead?

Quote by britishsligean
first off look at a better amp, you can get a peavey 6505+ for the same amount and it's miles better

Quote by FrustratedRocka
You don't even need 1 watt from a Spider. If you need modeling, buy a Vypyr 60.

Man, you guys were all on it. Listen to them. I wouldn't recommend a Spider either. Seems like a childs amplifier.

I also agree with the Vypyr, you may like it instead. Check it out. It's also in between the wattages you were debating on. Meet em in the middle lol.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Peavey-Vypyr-100-100W-2x12-Guitar-Combo-Amp-104922885-i1413608.gc
Last edited by Gary.Blizzard at Oct 1, 2010,
I think you actually need more if your getting a spider.
Jumping on dat gear sig train.
PRS Hollowbody II / BKP Warpigs
Strandberg OS6T / BKP Aftermath
Strandberg OS7 / Lace Poopsticks
Skervesen Raptor 7FF / BKP Warpigs
Skervesen Raptor 6 NTB / BKP Juggernauts
Hapas Sludge 7 FF / Hapas Leviathan
Anderson Baritom / Motorcity Nuke BKP Sinner Anderson H2+
Warmoth Baritone / BKP Piledriver
Ibanez Rg2120x / BKP Nailbomb

Blackstar ID:Core Beam
Dude, there are better quality of amps that will kick the spider to the crub in terms of tone for $500.

just off the top of my head:
Jet City JCA20
Peavey Valveking
Bugera V22 with a boost

Or, save up another $100 and get a Peavey 6505+ or a Blackstar HT20 combo.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
DONT GET IT

/thread
Gear:

Ibanez RG350M
Peavey 6505+112

Boss CS-1
EHX Big Muff Pi
EHX Small Clone
KORG Pitchblack
150 watts on a SPIDER'S solid state isn't a lot. Roland JC-120's are ridiculously loud and they are 120 SS watts.

Quote by Jhachey22
Dude, there are better quality of amps that will kick the spider to the crub in terms of tone for $500.

just off the top of my head:
Jet City JCA20
Peavey Valveking
Bugera V22 with a boost

Or, save up another $100 and get a Peavey 6505+ or a Blackstar HT20 combo.

This +100
Punkrokkboi please respond. I want to make sure we save you from eternal Spider damnation before I sleep. :L Seriously christ, that's a lot of Spider haters. And with good reason. Seriously, trust us.

I'd also like to say I WOULDN'T go for a Vypr. It's a good enough amp, but for that price range you can do better. For example, the Peavey 6505 for a little more. I actually saw one of those amps grow limbs and club a Spider to death one time. Seriously.
Quote by Duv
The only good thing about my MG30 was I was able to have it in my room for 5 years solely as a place to hide cigarettes and condoms.
Ok, I see alot of people arent recommending the Spider, so I'll just go with something else. how about a good Marshall? Could anyone recommend me one? I'm kind of nervous to commit to a sound that's too "metal" but I still want to get that sound. I also kind of want to go with a more popular brand (I've never even heard of BlackStar? lol). Thanks for the input.
Guitars: Epiphone Slash AFD Les Paul, Schecter Omen-6, and Fender CD-60 Acoustic
Pedalboard: Crybaby Classic, Boss DS-1, Korg Multi FX, BBE Boosta Grande, Rocktron HUSH Pedal. ProCo Rat.
Quote by Punkrokkboi
Ok, I see alot of people arent recommending the Spider, so I'll just go with something else. how about a good Marshall? Could anyone recommend me one? I'm kind of nervous to commit to a sound that's too "metal" but I still want to get that sound. I also kind of want to go with a more popular brand (I've never even heard of BlackStar? lol). Thanks for the input.

you won't be able to get a good marshall with your budget. look at the amps i suggested to you, listen to clips online, and if you still don't like any of them, then look into used gear.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Quote by Jhachey22
you won't be able to get a good marshall with your budget. look at the amps i suggested to you, listen to clips online, and if you still don't like any of them, then look into used gear.

Just listened to them. I like the tone of the Jet City alot but I'm concerned about two things: Being 20w, wondering if its powerful enough? and also if it's flexible enough to pull off the classic hard rock bluesy tones like early guns n roses and buckcherry but also be able to do more metal type stuff like metallica and avenged sevenfold.

The Peavey I liked also, but not as much as the JC.
Quote by Punkrokkboi
Just listened to them. I like the tone of the Jet City alot but I'm concerned about two things: Being 20w, wondering if its powerful enough? and also if it's flexible enough to pull off the classic hard rock bluesy tones like early guns n roses and buckcherry but also be able to do more metal type stuff like metallica and avenged sevenfold.

Depends a little on your pups... it won't nail those tones, but with hot pups or a boost in front it does a workable metal sound. It does a far better job at metal than the Spider, for example.

20w of tube is pretty loud. I've used smaller amps in band situations, no problem whatsoever. It's good for small gigs, at large gigs you will want to mic your amp anyway, no matter it's size.
Quote by Punkrokkboi

The Peavey I liked also, but not as much as the JC.

It'll easily do metal with a boost and 20 watts is plenty loud for gigging/jamming.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
get the Jet City
Gibson Les Paul Standard 2004
Fender Telecaster Custom 72RI 2009
PEDALZ
Ashdown Fallen Angel 60DSP
Fender Blues Junior
Ashton MPA100
Quote by Jhachey22
It'll easily do metal with a boost and 20 watts is plenty loud for gigging/jamming.

What he said.
Quote by Duv