Page 1 of 2
So today the minimum wage has been increased from £5.80/h to £5.93/h for people over 21 and from £4.83/h to £4.92/h for 18-20 year olds. Also an increase for 16 and 17 year olds and for the first time a mandatory minimum wage for apprentices.

Full story here

So Pit I have two questions. Why is there a difference between an 18 year old and a 21 year old?

Also, do you think that after coming out of a recession an increase in wages is good for business?
When life gives you lemons just say fuck the lemons and bail

Quote by Duffman123
The first time I saw his name I thought it said cunt Seanula >_>

True story.
It's 13p, don't get too excited.

And there's a difference between 18 and 21 year olds in the law because the lawmakers are all middle class and unaware that most 18 year olds live alone and need to support themselves as adults.
Wow, that a pretty low minimum wage for a country that populated. Minimum wage here in £ is £6.19/hour ($10/hour CAD).

Still good though, I remember back when minimum wage was like $7.50. Goddamn that sucked.
We're coming out of a recession? It feels like we're still in one. Maybe there really is something to this "Obama prolonged the recession" stuff, if it's only the US.
I'm rgrockr and I do not approve of this message.
I'm pretty sure minimum wage went up by 5p at some point last year anyway.
Well when I was temping at first I was paid 5.75ph, then it went up to 5.80 so I assume that's what happened.
(I am 19 anyway by the way, the agency I worked for just pays everyone the same)
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez

And there's a difference between 18 and 21 year olds in the law because the lawmakers are all middle class and unaware that most 18 year olds live alone and need to support themselves as adults.

But 13p an hour for a company that employs say a hundred people is still a big increase.

EDIT: Another reason I posted this was because I'm 21 in four months but by all rights a company could pay me almost a pound an hour less than someone who is barely older than me

Quote by Duffman123

True story.
Last edited by Count Seanula at Oct 1, 2010,
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez

Still over £5 a week
Quote by britishsligean
the fact normally a 21 year old will have more qualifications than an 18 year old

Yeah but this is talking about minimum wage.
So often jobs requiring little or no prior training or qualifications.
Quote by MadClownDisease
Yeah but this is talking about minimum wage.
So often jobs requiring little or no prior training or qualifications.

Because 18 year olds have a harder time finding jobs, so it's to encourage employers to hire 18 yr olds. I like this idea, actually.
Quote by britishsligean
the fact normally a 21 year old will have more qualifications than an 18 year old

But if an 18 and a 21 year old both work at McDonalds doing the same job, why should the 21 year old get over a pound an hour more?

Quote by Duffman123

True story.
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez

I don't know any 18 year olds who live alone.
Is it still a God Complex if I really am God?

America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.
Oscar Wilde
Quote by Rocking-Rob
Still over £5 a week

Wow, let's not go wild.

How about increasing the lower tax threshold so all the people who are on minimum wage have a few extra grand a year to spend on stuff - thus stimulating economic growth - instead of putting little 13p per hour carrots in front of them. Ugh government, you are stupid.

Quote by Meths

That's because you live in Clifton yah.
I work in Clifton now. I should stalk you.
Quote by Meths

College freshmen who don't wanna dorm, and don't wanna live with mom and/or dad.
^A lot of students end up living away from home at 18.

EDIT: To Meths

Quote by Duffman123

True story.
Quote by rgrockr
Because 18 year olds have a harder time finding jobs, so it's to encourage employers to hire 18 yr olds. I like this idea, actually.

Yeah I guess that makes some sense. It's a pretty big space in wage and ages though.
Quote by MadClownDisease
Yeah I guess that makes some sense. It's a pretty big space in wage and ages though.

It's to get new people into the workforce, so that they can acquire experience and be earning more than min. wage by the time they turn 18.
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
Wow, let's not go wild.

How about increasing the lower tax threshold so all the people who are on minimum wage have a few extra grand a year to spend on stuff - thus stimulating economic growth - instead of putting little 13p per hour carrots in front of them. Ugh government, you are stupid.

Surely it affects the businesses as well though? I'm not going to complain about an increase in pay but surely it's a bad move considering the state of the economy?

Quote by Duffman123

True story.
Quote by Mistress Ibanez
Originally Posted by Mistress_Ibanez
Wow, let's not go wild.

£260 a year shouldn't be sniffed at, maybe a tax break would be nicer but that's ALOT of help with bills if your earning minimum wage.

Quote by Count Seanula

Normally students have other financial aid that a full time job
Aye I know but to live relatively comfortably you need a job as well. My loan barely covered my rent and bills last year. I often went days without being able to get food so the pound an hour difference is huge.

I'm just worried that this increase is goign to make it harder to find a job as companies wont be as eager to hire as many people.

Quote by Duffman123

True story.
Quote by Count Seanula
Surely it affects the businesses as well though? I'm not going to complain about an increase in pay but surely it's a bad move considering the state of the economy?

What Mistress Ibanez has suggested would be a much fairer and more effective policy if they want to stimulate growth and thus get us out of the recession. If the government really wanted to get us out of recession they could've raised corporation tax but instead they lowered it.
Looking to buy a Fender Jagstang, u sellin?
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez

I don't live in Clifton. And I didn't either of the past two years.

Besides, it's easier for me to stalk you, I know what you look like.

Quote by rgrockr
College freshmen who don't wanna dorm, and don't wanna live with mom and/or dad.

Yeah, I don't know any.

Quote by Count Seanula

Yeah but in this country, none of them have to rely on jobs to live. We get loans and grants which are just about enough to live on, if you don't spend too much. Jobs are there to supplement your income.

America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.
Oscar Wilde
How the **** does raising taxes get you out of a recession? BTW, at least in the US, the recession is officially over. The trouble is getting consumers and businesses to be confident in their spending and you don't do that by raising minimum wage a wee bit, or jacking up taxes on rich people. You cut taxes round the board, especially for lower-incomes.
Dead soldier! Go now to Valhalla!
Quote by Gman400
How the **** does raising taxes get you out of a recession? BTW, at least in the US, the recession is officially over. The trouble is getting consumers and businesses to be confident in their spending and you don't do that by raising minimum wage a wee bit, or jacking up taxes on rich people. You cut taxes round the board, especially for lower-incomes.

...They didn't raise taxes.

Oscar Wilde
If you're out of recession then you need to minimise the deficit, taxes are an efficient way of doing that.

Sorry Gman, I'm just reading recession as deficit now, it's the new political buzzword that's drilled into me
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
Wow, let's not go wild.

They are doing that. It's being moved from seven to ten thousand.

Quote by Cal UK
What Mistress Ibanez has suggested would be a much fairer and more effective policy if they want to stimulate growth and thus get us out of the recession. If the government really wanted to get us out of recession they could've raised corporation tax but instead they lowered it.

The point of lowering corporation tax was to encourage more trade, thus lifting us out of recession. That way will work eventually, too; just a different way of going about it really.

What some fear about raising corporation tax is that the various businesses would up-sticks and leave Britain for somewhere with lower taxes. I'm not saying at all that the country should be held to ransom by the Square Mile, but one has to remember that they contribute to the economy hugely.
Quote by DrewsGotTheLife
yea man, who ever doesnt like pantera or think they suck doesnt like metal, end of discussion, they changed the freakin world n made history, so don't be sayin they suck, have respect, same goes for machine head n lamb of god cuz their good too
Last edited by freddaahh at Oct 1, 2010,
I hope they put up the dole too, then I'll move back there for a while...haha not really.
Quote by freddaahh
The point of lowering corporation tax was to encourage more trade, thus lifting us out of recession. That way will work eventually, too; just a different way of going about it really.

What some fear about raising corporation tax is that the various businesses would up-sticks and leave Britain for somewhere with lower taxes. I'm not saying at all that the country should be held to ransom by the Square Mile, but one has to remember that they contribute to the economy hugely.

I apologise, that post you quoted was when I misread 'recession' as 'deficit'. I agree they should've lowered it, now they need to raise it and gain some revenue.

Surely the costs of moving corporations abroad would be more expensive than them paying an increased corporation tax over here anyway. They're not rockstars, I don't think they can just up sticks as easily as they like to make out.
Quote by Meths
...They didn't raise taxes.

I know, someone said they should.
Dead soldier! Go now to Valhalla!
Quote by Cal UK
I apologise, that post you quoted was when I misread 'recession' as 'deficit'. I agree they should've lowered it, now they need to raise it and gain some revenue.

Surely the costs of moving corporations abroad would be more expensive than them paying an increased corporation tax over here anyway. They're not rockstars, I don't think they can just up sticks as easily as they like to make out.

They are pretty bloody wealthy though, I'm not saying that everyone in the City will disappear overnight, but it's the brain-drain theory, which was worryingly close when Obama planned to lift the ban on embryonic stem-cell research, and then nothing happened.

Yeah, I suppose there is a lot of exaggeration for dramatic effect used. But as I said before, it's a different perspective on the same goal: getting money again. I think the government want to encourage a bigger private sector and stop reliance on public spending. I think that's fair enough, but maybe I'm a bastard, true-blue Tory.
Quote by DrewsGotTheLife
yea man, who ever doesnt like pantera or think they suck doesnt like metal, end of discussion, they changed the freakin world n made history, so don't be sayin they suck, have respect, same goes for machine head n lamb of god cuz their good too
**** SAKE! I've had three pay rises since i started at McD's and i've just got to £4.99 an hour.

Now new starters are gonna be 6p less than me. THAT IS ****ING BULLSHIT! I blame McD's for that though, they're right bastards for ripping me off in wages. They conduct their annual pay rises just before the minimum wage goes up every year so that the don't have to increase the ammount your PR goes up by.
Quote by SG_dave
**** SAKE! I've had three pay rises since i started at McD's and i've just got to £4.99 an hour.

Now new starters are gonna be 6p less than me. THAT IS ****ING BULLSHIT! I blame McD's for that though, they're right bastards for ripping me off in wages. They conduct their annual pay rises just before the minimum wage goes up every year so that the don't have to increase the ammount your PR goes up by.

Harsh. But then you do work at McDonald's, what did you expect?

Oscar Wilde
Quote by Tempoe
I hope they put up the dole too, then I'll move back there for a while...haha not really.

Yeah because you have to have full citizenship to claim any benefits here. If you'd not been talking out of your arse you'd have known that.

Quote by Meths

I don't live in Clifton. And I didn't either of the past two years.

Besides, it's easier for me to stalk you, I know what you look like.

Hah really? I don't know where I got the idea you were a Cliftonite from. Maybe it's cos you're at Bristol not UWE.

And that's true. You're not making it fair

Quote by freddaahh
They are doing that. It's being moved from seven to ten thousand.

I don't see them doing that today though. Because they would still rather rely on poor people's taxes for as long as possible rather than do a tiny increase in high-earners tax rate and get a lot more revenue. Because the government hates the working class.
Last edited by Mistress_Ibanez at Oct 2, 2010,
Quote by Meths
Harsh. But then you do work at McDonald's, what did you expect?

Blog Of Awesome UGers.
Quote by OddOneOut
I seem to attract girls.
Which is annoying, cos I'm a girl and I like cock.

Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
Being an idiot should be illegal too.
Our minimum wage is under threat. It has 20% less buying power than the EU average.
But hey, why get a job at all? Dole money is good but that's looking at another cut this year. Gov't spending, we are told, has to be reduced by 9bn euro. Slash and burn budget.
Now we have to bail out the stupid bankers who managed to fritter 40bn euro on loans for building projects no-one wants (even I can work out that 15,000 homeless people don't need 300,000 houses built). And there's 4 million of us to pay for it all. That will mean a 25% hike in income tax and VAT going from 21% to 25%. If your maths is up to it you can work out how long that will take to pay off. Oh, and we've managed to increase national debt to 32% of GDP so no-one is going to give the country loans at decent rates.
Now, who was that complaining about a small increase?
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

What's the chances the Government use this fact to wax polemical on how awesome they are for workers?

Also, a good minimum wage is actually good for the economy. It increases cash flow can encourage consumer activity.
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez

Heh.
Last edited by Craigo at Oct 2, 2010,
Quote by Craigo
What's the chances the Government use this fact to wax polemical on how awesome they are for workers?

Also, a good minimum wage is actually good for the economy. It increases cash flow can encourage consumer activity.

Heh.

Agreed.
Page 1 of 2