I have been playing for ten years doing tabs and stuff, I taught myself so I really didn't learn chords or anything and just learned from tabs and trial and error..I want to get better, not to be cocky or anything but I feel like I am pretty damn good.. but I feel like I just am a rhythm guitarist with small hands....I want to play lead, solos, and just shred....where can I start to finally get better
So you know lots of scales already, Maj/Minor throughout the neck for example?
honestly... the best thing you can do is get a teacher..... this will help alot since you will get to learn from a person how to play certian techniques and more theory...... if you don't learn theory it will be really dificult to be able to shred..... it really helps to know what can be played where ahead of time..... after learning theory there should be alot less trial and error
I don't know scales either, I know of them...just don't know remember them. I know things, just don't know formal training, theories...I am very raw...there are no teachers around here that aren't worth a damn. Any books or instructional DVDs that anyone recommends?
Quote by waltb87
, not to be cocky or anything but I feel like I am pretty damn good..

This sounds extremely cocky for someone who considers themself a rhythm player.

Aside from that, I'd start small, with basics. If you know chords, start learning major scales. Then minor. Then pentatonic. Then blues.

Metal is mostly blues/pentatonic scales sped up without any feel and with a shit load of distortion.
I have many theory books but the best one by far is Fretboard Theory by Desi Serna.
He explains everything in plain english. He had me completly understanding Modes in about 5 minutes. I ended up buying the book and videos.
http://guitar-music-theory.com/
Quote by Oneill9293

Aside from that, I'd start small, with basics. If you know chords, start learning major scales. Then minor. Then pentatonic. Then blues.

Metal is mostly blues/pentatonic scales sped up without any feel and with a shit load of distortion.

James Hetfield is a great guitarist. Keith Richards is a great guitarist. Malcolm Young is a great guitarist. Izzy Stradlin is a great guitarist.

Rhythm/lead are not skill classifications of skill.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
It's cocky for someone to say they're a good guitarist?

That's not cocky!

TS: Try putting on some blues backing tracks and just playing pure lead over it, major, minors, pentatonic, this should get you started with phrasing, vibrato, bends, etc.
Fender Stratocaster USA Deluxe 2005
MIJ Fender Contemporary Stratocaster '85-'86 HSS System I DiMarzio SD Bridge
Epiphone 2010 Les Paul Tribute
Ibanez AW30ECE Acoustic
Line 6 IV 75w (lol)
It also depends on the type of music that you wanna play. I wouldn't necessarily recommend you learn a bunch of country licks if you wish to play jazz over key changes and whatnot. Either way, the major/minor pentatonic is definitely a solid place to start as far as improvising/soloing. This will give you a basic structure and way to stay within a certain key. It can also be used for a vast majority of the different genres of music out there so definitely check that out.
Quote by DaddyTwoFoot
James Hetfield is a great guitarist. Keith Richards is a great guitarist. Malcolm Young is a great guitarist. Izzy Stradlin is a great guitarist.

Rhythm/lead are not skill classifications of skill.

but they can play lead, and the OP said he couldn't.
Quote by Oneill9293
but they can play lead, and the OP said he couldn't.

So? That means nothing at all. As I said, rhythm/lead are not indicators of skill at all. I personally think that James Hetfield is better than Kirk Hammett even though he's the rhythm. They are roles, not skill levels. It's a pretty shallow point of view otherwise.
Quote by dudetheman

Quote by DaddyTwoFoot
So? That means nothing at all. As I said, rhythm/lead are not indicators of skill at all. I personally think that James Hetfield is better than Kirk Hammett even though he's the rhythm. They are roles, not skill levels. It's a pretty shallow point of view otherwise.

Absolutely not. You're saying it doesn't take skill, or it takes the exact same level of skill, to play the solo from one than the rhythm from one?

Mental.
Quote by Oneill9293
Absolutely not. You're saying it doesn't take skill, or it takes the exact same level of skill, to play the solo from one than the rhythm from one?

Mental.

For the love of...

James Hetfield is better than Kurt Cobain. James Hetfield is a rhythm guitarist. Kurt Cobain was a lead guitarist. They are not classifications of skill, they are classifications of role.

I could play lead. I don't like to. That doesn't make me a bad guitarist, that means I like to do something else.
Quote by dudetheman

I would say to learn some chords. I played guitar for several years before even beginning how to learn how to play properly. Just jamming notes and melodies and such. Once I finally took the time to learn 6 or 7 basic chords, my playing improved dramatically. I'm working on scales right now, but I would say with scales you should focus on just one and practice it like crazy. I found most of the scale diagrams on the net to be confusing. It's great when you're self taught because you can learn as much as you want, but problem is there's nobody to tell you if you're reading something completely wrong.
Quote by Oneill9293

hey now... SHITTY metal is like that. the good ones are able to have that souldful bluesy sound but still sound really hard and fierce
Learn how to read music, chords, and understand theory. The fact that most guitar players don't bother to learn any of that stuff is why most other musicians consider guitar players "guitar players" and not "musicians". Don't get all "Hendrix didn't have to learn any of that stuff blah blah blah..." on me, because thats what other musicians think about guitar players(well, not me, because Im the only guitar player at my school who seems to know anything beyond tabs and power chords, and I play a few other instruments, too).

Learning how to read music, play/read chords, and understanding theory will really help you. If you understand theory, or at least keys, you can say to yourself "hey this doesn't sound right. Oh, right, those notes aren't in this key" and fix your mistakes easily, instead of noodling around trying to find the right notes.
Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
The grandmother is having a baby with her grandson, so the grandson will be his own fathers father, the baby will be his own grandfather, and grandson, and the grandmother will be the mother, and great grandmother?

Quote by TheBurningFish
ಠ_ಠ
Wow, this post definitely blew up a little bit. I consider myself more of rhythm than lead, I can play lead but not with a great deal of efficiency. I can play both, don't get my wrong, it just requires a ton more of effort and its a little bit more difficult. My hands are probably about 7 inches from the top of my wrist to the top of my middle finger...give or take.

I have been looking at tons of scales and chords..ill eventually get to the chords and the scales look intriguing but I agree with someone that said the ones on the net are a little odd. If I were to look at a and learn a few basic scales which ones would I look at?
Quote by waltb87
I don't know scales either, I know of them...just don't know remember them. I know things, just don't know formal training, theories...I am very raw...there are no teachers around here that aren't worth a damn. Any books or instructional DVDs that anyone recommends?

Rusty Cooley's Fretboard autopsy will help you with the fretboard visualisation and memorizing scale patterns and licks if this is what you're after.
Last edited by Shred_Lobotomy at Oct 8, 2010,
Quote by DaddyTwoFoot

Yes. There are many rhythm players that dont have the ability to fluently play lead. But there are also a lot of lead players that cant play rhythm worth crap. And just because the lead of One may take more skill, it doesn't necessarily make Kirk a better guitarist.
Quote by guitarocker100
Yes. There are many rhythm players that dont have the ability to fluently play lead. But there are also a lot of lead players that cant play rhythm worth crap. And just because the lead of One may take more skill, it doesn't necessarily make Kirk a better guitarist.

that's true. Who cares if you can do all kinds of technical stuff if you can't make it fit?
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Go to justinguitar.com, great lessons and I am teaching myself through his website. He has video lessons + music theory on chords, blues, rock, power chords etc, check it out.
Been Dazed and Confused for so long it's not true, wanted a woman never bargained for you.