I'm looking for a 6-8 pre amp interface and DAW to record my band.

I know that the profire 2626 is renowned for being good but it is a little too expensive. I'm looking to use pro tools as i believe it being "industry standard" is a huge bonus.

any way choices:

Tascam US 800 £200 (comes with cubase le4) seems so cheap for what it's offering but due to it being new there are no reviews. Anyone have any experience?)

M audio 2626 comes well recommended but at £370 +£220 for Pro tools M it's a bit too expensive
M audio fast track ultra 8r sacrifices firewire for usb and saves £50

any alternatives or opinions on my options would be greatly appreciated.
Fender Vintage Hot Rod 62 Stratocastor
Ibanez Artcore AS-103NT
->
TC Polytune
Xotic BB Preamp
Ibanez TS 808
Red Witch Empress
EHX Deluxe Memory Man XO
Carl Martin Hydra Boost
->
Fender Blues Deluxe
unscrupulously bumping
Ibanez Artcore AS-103NT
->
TC Polytune
Xotic BB Preamp
Ibanez TS 808
Red Witch Empress
EHX Deluxe Memory Man XO
Carl Martin Hydra Boost
->
Fender Blues Deluxe
As an owner of the 2626 I'd say it's well worth the money. The pre-amps you get for the money are awesome and on reflection surely it'd be better to spend more money getting exactly what you want instead of settling on something so-so.

If you want to use ProTools you'll have to go down either the M-Audio or Digidesign route for interfaces. If you get an M-Audio interface you'll have to buy M-Powered separately and if you get a Digidesign one you get LE with it. There's not a huge difference between M-Powered and LE but if you were planning on putting add ons like Creative Collection and all that I know M-Powered isn't compatable with some of them (can't remember off hand). Another downside of going for the 2626 + M-Powered route is that instead of taking advantage of all 26 of the I/Os (analogue and digital (A-DAT, etc.)) as it is limited to something like 18x18 which isn't deadly if you don't do huge projects.

Oh, and another thing that some people argue over is USB vs Firewire interfaces. I'm in the firewire camp as you get a certain transfer rate (400 or 800Mbit/s or whatever it is) whereas with USB the transfer rate changes which when dealing with audio is gonna affect the quality of your work.

Hopefully some other folk can provide more insight and hope you find the answers you're looking for
Quote by bjoern_swe
my mom found me sitting in the kitchen, eating Corn Flakes from the floor. when she asked me what I was doing, I just roared at her and ran up to my room.

George Foreman Grill Appreciation Society
thoughts on the motu 8pre, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40? and what DAW to use with them?
Ibanez Artcore AS-103NT
->
TC Polytune
Xotic BB Preamp
Ibanez TS 808
Red Witch Empress
EHX Deluxe Memory Man XO
Carl Martin Hydra Boost
->
Fender Blues Deluxe
I've never used the others tbh but I've heard nothing but good things about the Motu. As for DAWs, it all depends on what you're comfortable with. The differences in sound quality aren't massive to my ears so all that matters is what you're used to. I personally prefer PT because I used it throughout college so am quite savvy with the workflow.
Quote by bjoern_swe
my mom found me sitting in the kitchen, eating Corn Flakes from the floor. when she asked me what I was doing, I just roared at her and ran up to my room.

George Foreman Grill Appreciation Society
Sorry but really?

One was good enough, we didn't need to bump the 2 ones from 5 months ago...
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp
I have a tascam US800, and it is a great little interface for a project studio. Like others have already said it is only USB as opposed to firewire, but is it a lot less expensive (I got mine for £200/$320)

I have had a little work with the Motu 8pre and it is also very good, the preamps sound great and its a firewire connection but is a little more than the tascam at £400/$640

Unfortunately I have no experience with the 2626, so couldn't possibly comment on it's performance.

At the end of the day you get what you pay for, if you can afford the motu or 2626 you should get one of them, if not you shouldn't be disappointed with the tascam.
Hmmmm... Pie.

Quote by tryandstopme
i think your cereal is rather gay sir.

Quote by ibanez for life

Quote by Haha, Crackhead

This thread just screams,"Hey! Look at me!! I illegally download thousands of gigs of music!!!"

and what exactly does your username scream...?