has anyone dealt with these before... I know they have a great custom shop, but I play the heavey stuff... I was really needing a modern high-gain tube amp head with lots of out put BUT with a great clean channel too.

I was also trying to use something like: (3) kt-77s + (3) 6550 together for the power amp section & (5) 12ax7s + (1) 12at7 + (2) 12au7 for the pre amp stages.

this sceme should give a very well-rounded/fatter & fuller than any EL34 tone accompanied with a robust slam (the 6550s), with lots of clear/argiculate gain from the 5 12ax's but any noise should be subdoed by the extra lesser-gain tubes to keep all the gain but also give a sweeter quality to the high gain pre amp section.

it seems like the Fargen amps are revalving around vintage/moderately highgain heads, which is cool buts thats just not for me really... BUT they have some really smart options like: selectable power settings (variouble wattage) & the abillity to mix almost any tube within the power amp & preamp tubes. I was hoping for something like: 5w - 60w.

doe anyone know where I can find a custom amp comany that can do all of this??

Thanks in advance!
Yeah. But the same can be said for DAR amps and other amps which use "weird" tubes...dammit I want a pair of KT120s..I might blow up my amp and burn my house down, but at least I'll go out in a blaze of glory
lot's of amp builders do custom stuff.

the plate voltages on a kt77 and a 6550 are really different.

Actually I have no idea what your trying to do or if it's possible with science. Also gain stages don't work like your imagining they do. Where would you put the 12au7s? You can replace any preamp tube with a 12au7 if you want less gain.

You'd have to find an amp builder making an amp with 6 tubes first. Maybe call Randall Smith?

Oh and Fargens are modeled after vintage to mildly hot rodded Marshalls and overdriven Fender sounds so no they won't do that. You can get those options on most amps if you're willing to pay except for running two tubes with vastly different voltages at proper operating specs.

Also why don't you see if a real amp will do what you need?
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
I'll agree with AcousticMirror that your amp idea is not well thought out. Also, since Fargen's basic models are a blackface deluxe, a JCM800, a Plexi and an AC30, I somehow doubt they're going to make your mega-gain six power tube monster even if the specs were sensible.
GMW hot-rod telecaster
GMW soloist
PRS Custom 24
The Illegal Les Paul
CAE 3+SE
Soldano SM-100R
Splawn 4x12

“Life is on the wire…the rest is just waiting” - Papa Wallenda
Substitute the stage for the wire, and he's got it.
Check out Baron, their main product is custom amps. Not sure about 3 KT77s and 3 6550s though, nor am I sure about such a preamp section. Also 3 KT77s and 3 6550s run together will get you somewhere around 150w, not 60w at max dissipation, unless you want to switch between 1 KT77 and 1 6550, 2 KT77s, 2 6550s, or 1 of either tube...
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
I am still learning quite abit about tubes & heads , but Fargen did mention: "# Use EL34/KT66 /KT77/6550/6L6/5881/6V6 ECT
# The ability to mix and match any of the above tubes…(i.e.El34 + KT66)" so thats where I got that idea. they did also mention: "# Output Power: 8-12 watts
# Tube Complement: (2) 12AX7, (2) EL34" for the Fargen. That would explain the title for this Fargen amp as "low-volume head". On hte other hand, The Mesa/Boogie Roadking ii lets you select: 2 el34s + 4 6l6s at once + 6 12ax7s & 2 5u4s for the preamp and they allow you to select: 50w/100w/120w, but any other tube brand doesn't seem to work for very long with this M/B head (according to alot of reviews and other site's forums). The Peavey EVH 5150iii has 8 12ax7 for the pre amp. someone with a 5150 had once mentioned that they tried this senario: 4 12ax7s + 1 12at7 (preamp). They said it kept all the gain but it just took out most of the extreme hiss at high volumes that the original 5150 had a rep for, then he mentioned that if he were to take out a few more ax7's and put in a few more au's, this would possibly give it a sweeter sounding tone to his distortion, so thats where I gained that inspiration from.
Yeah. But the same can be said for DAR amps and other amps which use "weird" tubes...dammit I want a pair of KT120s..I might blow up my amp and burn my house down, but at least I'll go out in a blaze of glory
Last edited by C_majzer at Oct 1, 2010,
ooh double post , I guess I'll just find a Framus Cobra and a bias probe form eurotubes.com and re-bias for the JJ kt77s.
The mix-n-match thing they discuss on their website is for a parallel single-ended class A power section. That means it's only going to be at most two power tubes even for a custom build. You're not going to run a whole bunch of tubes that way. When amps have 4-6 power tubes, it pretty much means class AB push/pull operation which requires matched pairs and provides correspondingly greater power - 20ish watts per pair of 6V6/el84, 50ish watts per pair of 6L6/5881/KT66/6CA7/KT77/EL34, and somewhat more for pairs of 6550/KT88. If you want less power, you can run any of them in triode mode to cut back maybe 30-50%.

As far as preamps go, 12AT7s and 12AU7s are lower gain replacements for the 12AX7. Generally, unless you need the higher current handling capabilities of the 12AT7 for some reason, it makes more sense to just design for 12AX7s with less gain built into the design. So what you really need to be thinking about is not which tubes will be in the preamp, but how much gain and what frequency response you want. Then let the amp builder figure out how to make that happen.
GMW hot-rod telecaster
GMW soloist
PRS Custom 24
The Illegal Les Paul
CAE 3+SE
Soldano SM-100R
Splawn 4x12

“Life is on the wire…the rest is just waiting” - Papa Wallenda
Substitute the stage for the wire, and he's got it.
Quote by Raijouta
Check out Baron, their main product is custom amps. Not sure about 3 KT77s and 3 6550s though, nor am I sure about such a preamp section. Also 3 KT77s and 3 6550s run together will get you somewhere around 150w, not 60w at max dissipation, unless you want to switch between 1 KT77 and 1 6550, 2 KT77s, 2 6550s, or 1 of either tube...

This. Inb4 Kyle.
Quote by dr_shred
FrustratedRocka you are a legend

Quote by littlephil

The man clearly knows his shit.

Quote by Banjocal

one of the best, educated and logical posts I've ever seen on UG in the Pit. Well done good sir.
if you want clear and articulate gain you're looking for something like a pittbull ultralead.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
*tries to hold in Baron recommendation*

BAH!

Dude...get a Baron
Guitars:
Ibanez UV777P
Ibanez RGD2127FX
Ibanez RG3120TW
Ibanez RGD7321
Ibanez RG6003FM
Ibanez SA160
Jackson Slatxmg3-7
Amps:
Baron Custom Amps K88
Rivera Knucklehead TRE
Fryette Sig: X
Randall RM4 /w Modded modules
Cabs:
Mesa 4x12
Bogner 4x12
Peavey 4x12(K85s)
Baron. checked. cool man.