Page 1 of 2
Article

American scientists deliberately infected prisoners and patients in a mental hospital in Guatemala with syphilis 60 years ago, a recently unearthed experiment that prompted U.S. officials to apologize Friday and declare outrage over "such reprehensible research."

Thoughts?

DON'T PANIC! DON'T PANIC!
THEY DON'T LIKE IT UP 'EM!
Wow that's ****ed up. The U.S is the new empire though, that's the type of shit empires do.
Quote by BeefWellington

what's the point in being "philiosophical"?

Interesting question...
So, why are we apologizing 70 years later, besides the fact that Obama wants to present his bum to anyone and everyone like a female monkey asking for it?

Yes, it was bad. But to apologize now is even worse of an insult than to have not apologized 70 years ago.
Last edited by crazysam23_Atax at Oct 1, 2010,
It was 70 years ago, no one has anything to apologize for becuaswe it's highly likely that everyone involved is now dead.

What kind of over-PC world do we live in that we have to apologize for other peoples mistakes?
Quote by Bearded_Seth
It was 70 years ago, no one has anything to apologize for becuaswe it's highly likely that everyone involved is now dead.

What kind of over-PC world do we live in that we have to apologize for other peoples mistakes?

It's not about individuals apologising, it's about the state apologising, which does make sense. The state is saying that it recognises the mistakes that were made previously and that the country no longer supports that kind of thing and is sorry for what their predecessors did.
It's a state apology, no-one is suggesting that people today did anything.

Some things have to be explicitly said, otherwise people may assume that your state still condone that shit. It's not got anything to do with "political correctness gone mad" or whatever the soundbite is.
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
Last edited by Ur all $h1t at Oct 1, 2010,
Quote by Bearded_Seth

I understand that an apology is due but really. "Everyone who ordered this and was affected by it is dead. We have no connection to it whatsoever besides the fact that we came from the same country. That being said, we're sorry. For not doing anything."

I demand the US apologize to every Native American tribe for invading their homeland. Every tribe.

EDIT: ^Yea....that.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Well, why doesn't Mongolia apologize then for Genghis Khan fucking up half the world? Point being, this is overly ridiculous.
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
So, why are we apologizing 70 years later, besides the fact that Obama wants to present his bum to anyone and everyone like a female monkey asking for it?

Yes, it was bad. But to apologize now is even worse of an insult than to have not apologized 70 years ago.

Really had nothing to do with Obama. The details and scope of this just recently came to light while a journalist was researching the Tuskegee experiment. An apology is appropriate.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
Well, why doesn't Mongolia apologize then for Genghis Khan fucking up half the world? Point being, this is overly ridiculous.

This is the United States, not Mongolia.
lol @ u.s
Music is not the Olympics. It's not a sport; it's a form of expression. There is no such thing as bad music. There may be music that you personally don't like, but if you don't like it, don't listen to it.." Eddie Van Halen
Quote by Jackal58
Really had nothing to do with Obama. The details and scope of this just recently came to light while a journalist was researching the Tuskegee experiment. An apology is appropriate.
How? Everyone who was involved is dead. How it is appropriate? It's an insult to apologize now.

If I purposely gave you a disease (shoved a needle into your neck full of some bad germ), then my family came back 30 years later, after you were dead, to apologize for my having done that...would your son/daughter/etc. not wanna punch them in the face? Yes! They'd wanna beat the shit out of my kids. They'd be somewhat justified feeling that way. It's the same thing here.
Last edited by crazysam23_Atax at Oct 1, 2010,
Quote by Solarstar101
lol @ u.s

lol @ Texas.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
Quote by crazysam23_Atax

Because the Mongolian state didn't exist at the time, the state that did exist (if you could call it that) is no longer around to apologise.
-Ronald Reagan

-George Washington
This shit isn't new, they did the same thing to blacks all the way up to the 70s. Nobody apologized for anything until the study was "discovered", until then it was just a conspiracy theory.
This is why I don't like arguing on the internet.
Quote by damian_91
If only you could back that statement up.
Quote by Zombee
Wolfgang's Philadelphia Study. Look it up yourself.
Quote by damian_91
No need to, absurd generalizations aren't my thing.
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
How? Everyone who was involved is dead. How it is appropriate? It's an insult to apologize now.

If I purposely gave you a disease (shoved a needle into your neck full of some bad germ), then my family came back 30 years later, after you were dead, to apologize for my having done that...would your son/daughter/etc. not punch me in the face? Yes! They'd wanna beat the shit out of my kids. They'd be somewhat justified feeling that way. It's the same thing here.

We are apologizing for the actions of others that reflect poorly on our country. Your comparison is not a good one.
Quote by crazysam23_Atax

If I purposely gave you a disease (shoved a needle into your neck full of some bad germ), then my family came back 30 years later, after you were dead, to apologize for my having done that...would your son/daughter/etc. not punch me in the face? Yes! They'd wanna beat the shit out of my kids. They'd be somewhat justified feeling that way. It's the same thing here.

It's really not an insult. The British apologised for a number of shit they did to Ireland and it wasn't taken as an insult, is was taken as a message that the state had changed its views, and calmed down a lot of republicans.
-Ronald Reagan

-George Washington
Quote by Ur all $h1t
It's not about individuals apologising, it's about the state apologising, which does make sense. The state is saying that it recognises the mistakes that were made previously and that the country no longer supports that kind of thing and is sorry for what their predecessors did.
It's a state apology, no-one is suggesting that people today did anything.

Some things have to be explicitly said, otherwise people may assume that your state still condone that shit. It's not got anything to do with "political correctness gone mad" or whatever the soundbite is.

This, thing is though , the governments of the world will still be doing horrible things like this. We already know enough about prisoners being flown overseas and so on but i'm sure there's more stuff similar to MKULTRA and all that messed up testing going on. We'll probably be told in 60 years
The apology is a bit late, to be honest.
"If God exists, there's no way he is French" - Andrea Pirlo

S A D B O Y S
Quote by crazysam23_Atax

I don't think Guatemala is going to invade us.
Because civil people apologize for being dicks.
I'm not fucking civil so I won't apologize for saying I think your position is one of an idiot.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
Quote by Ur all $h1t
Because the Mongolian state didn't exist at the time, the state that did exist (if you could call it that) is no longer around to apologise.
And the scientist and administrators who allowed this are dead. So are those who were the victims.
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
And the scientist and administrators who allowed this are dead. So are those who were the victims.

Do you not realize that their actions are tied to the U.S.?
Quote by Jackal58
I don't think Guatemala is going to invade us.
Because civil people apologize for being dicks.
I'm not fucking civil so I won't apologize for saying I think your position is one of an idiot.

But your grandchildren will.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
too late
E-married to BlessedRebel15
Most Attractive Female 2011 ^^
Dark Black Rivers in the WinterTime
Quote by CrunchyRoll
I'm not sure if you're aware of this or not, but everything is against the rules at UG
Quote by crazysam23_Atax

Which is why it's not an apology from individuals, it's a state apology, you know, from the state. That's the entire point that I'm making, the fact that the individuals are dead is entirely irrelevant as that's not the message that the apology is sending out. It's not "the individuals are sorry for what they did and won't do this again" it's "the state is sorry for what it once did and won't do this again"
-Ronald Reagan

-George Washington
Quote by Bearded_Seth

prolly from all the syphilis...
Quote by Lt. Shinysides
so what about an apology for the Tuskegee experiments?

was already done.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
Quote by Korosu

Probably not.
Quote by Pleasure2kill
The truth is, Muslims never apologized for their faith having something to do with the attacks on 9/11.
Quote by crazysam23_Atax

If I purposely gave you a disease (shoved a needle into your neck full of some bad germ), then my family came back 30 years later, after you were dead, to apologize for my having done that...would your son/daughter/etc. not wanna punch them in the face? Yes! They'd wanna beat the shit out of my kids. They'd be somewhat justified feeling that way. It's the same thing here.

Yeah um, no.

there's these three buttons on the upper right corner of your window, click the one that has an X on it.
Quote by Korosu
Of course I do.

Should today's Germans apologize for Hitler though? No. Should today's Catholics apologize for the Inquisition? No.
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
Of course I do.

Should today's Germans apologize for Hitler though? No. Should today's Catholics apologize for the Inquisition? No.

They have. And they have. This concept is beyond you isn't it?
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
Of course I do.

These two are hardly comparable to a secret experiment in which people were deliberately infected with syphilis.
Quote by Pleasure2kill
The truth is, Muslims never apologized for their faith having something to do with the attacks on 9/11.
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
Of course I do.

The Catholic Church apologised for the inquisition about 10 years ago. It's not about today's Catholics apologising, no-one holds them accountable, but the institution is still accountable and that is who is apologising, both in the case of the church and various states.
The individuals are irrelevant here as it's a state apology.
-Ronald Reagan

-George Washington
Quote by crazysam23_Atax

that state no longer exists so there is no state to apologize on there behalf, the US still exists
Quote by beadhangingOne
What happened to Snake?

Snake?

Snake?

SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE?!

Quote by TunerAddict
you can take my mouse and keyboard from my cold, slightly orange from cheetos, dead fingers

Quote by Baby Joel
Isis is amazing
Quote by Korosu
This is the United States, not Mongolia.

That's right!
WERR 'MERICA! WE DONT NEED TO APOLOGIZE FOR NOTHIN
WE AIN'T NONE ER THEM MAWN-GOAL-EE-ANS
Yksinään hän vaeltaa mis' varjot lankeaa
Halki usvan ja roudan vain teräs seuranaan
Sydämensä kylmä on kuin maa routainen
Mutta silmissään viha polttava kuin kiuas tulinen
Page 1 of 2