ok i own jackson and agile guitars, i know own my first strat type guitar, what would be good strings and gauge for it... i must say all myother guitars have 9-42 for strings... also this strat guitar has a HSS pickups

i play all kinds of music,
daddario gauge 10
Quote by Mauri_wario
I would indeed "fap that thaing", but my dog is looking at me and it feels highly iinappropriate.
it depends on your taste.Thicker strings are a necessity(at least I believe so) with drop tunings. Thicker strings will give you more resistance and therefore seems to fit rhythm playing quite nicely. Some people argue that thicker strings give you more of a percussive sound and also improve your tone( I am a believer in this). They are also much less likely to break. The problem with thicker strings is that they are harder to play with bends and if you go from 9's to lets say 13's you could end up with tendonitis. Basically if you play in E standard, try anywhere from 9-11's if you drop tune the lightest gauge you could probably get away with are 10's

I play with 11's in E Standard, if you want this kind of tension I recommend Ernie Ball Power Slinkys
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Anyway I have technically statutory raped #nice

Quote by EndThecRinge51
once a girl and i promised to never leave each other

since that promise was broken

i dont make promises any more
Last edited by megano28 at Oct 1, 2010,
Ernie Ball strings are the best for anything imo.
But I don't know what gauge you would use. I use 10s on everything, but like the previous poster said, it depends on what you play. I usually play in E or Eb standard, so I don't need heavy strings.
Main Gear:
Epi Les Paul Ultra II
Bastard Telecaster
Pignose Legendary 7-100

Manga I'm reading!!!
Bleach, OP, Naruto, GE, Rosario+Vampire, Soul Eater, Kyou Kara Ore Wa, Kimi No Iru Machi, HSD Kenichi, and many more!!!
i only play in E , i play all kinds of music.. and like i say on my metal guitars i use nines for the solo parts.. and some reason i think of starts as a heavy guage type guitar.. likes 10s... btu with the 25 scale i was not sure if 10s would be to stiff.....
^ it'll be too stiff if you're used to 9s, especially if you're used to 9s on a smaller scale length. If you want to give it a shot and try to perservere with it, though, by all means go for it.

Quote by acade365
daddario gauge 10

nice work there hercule, he says all his other guitars are strung with 9s, so your suggestion for his strat, which has either the same scale length or longer than his other guitars (assuming his others aren't a baritone or something like that), is 10s.

Excellent deduction.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
^ it'll be too stiff if you're used to 9s, especially if you're used to 9s on a smaller scale length. If you want to give it a shot and try to perservere with it, though, by all means go for it.

nice work there hercule, he says all his other guitars are strung with 9s, so your suggestion for his strat, which has either the same scale length or longer than his other guitars (assuming his others aren't a baritone or something like that), is 10s.

Excellent deduction.

Just a tiny addition to the TS involving this, if you ever choose that you want to up the gauge to tens, I don't recommend you use d'addario in the process as through my personal experiences, I have come to the conclusion that they are much stiffer than other strings like Ernie Ball of the same guage. Just a heads up
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Anyway I have technically statutory raped #nice

Quote by EndThecRinge51
once a girl and i promised to never leave each other

since that promise was broken

i dont make promises any more
I use 11 gauge Elixirs... Sounds hawt, and the tone lasts fooooreeeever.
Gotta finish my work, then play some grooves, so I can turn my room into a house of blues...
Quote by megano28
it depends on your taste.Thicker strings are a necessity(at least I believe so) with drop tunings. Thicker strings will give you more resistance and therefore seems to fit rhythm playing quite nicely. Some people argue that thicker strings give you more of a percussive sound and also improve your tone( I am a believer in this). They are also much less likely to break. The problem with thicker strings is that they are harder to play with bends and if you go from 9's to lets say 13's you could end up with tendonitis. Basically if you play in E standard, try anywhere from 9-11's if you drop tune the lightest gauge you could probably get away with are 10's

I play with 11's in E Standard, if you want this kind of tension I recommend Ernie Ball Power Slinkys

just pointing it out
HILT!

Where's Waldo?

I use DR Strings Hi-beams in 11's though that may be to tight for you though.
Damn it! Disable can't use disable to disable Disable's disable because disable's disable has already been disabled by Disable's disable!
Quote by acade365
daddario gauge 10

not really well stated.

op topic:
only you can decide what gauge you like. for instance i only like .10's on my guitars and with brands i think d'addario are too stubborn for me and ernie balls and a tad too light. you really have to try different brands and gauges to find the one that suites you and your guitar.
[quote="Dave_Mcnice work there hercule, he says all his other guitars are strung with 9s, so your suggestion for his strat, which has either the same scale length or longer than his other guitars (assuming his others aren't a baritone or something like that), is 10s.

Excellent deduction.[/QUOTE"]

but sound wise 10s would be good

while it might be the hardest guitar to play a strat with 9s might me to bright (opinion really) so im sure 10s would fit and sound nice
Chances are the scale length is the same for strat. Same guages of string should feel equivalent. Stick w/ 9s to start if you want a similar feel to the Jackson.
Quote by acade365
daddario gauge 10

This. If they're good enough for John Frusciante then they're certainly good enough for me.

On a serious note, check out guitar players you're interested in and see what strings they use. Try them out for yourself and see if you like it. Strings are a trial and error thing, some you'll like and some you won't.
thanks for the tips everyone.... right now i have 9s i guess it wont hurt for me to try some tens... as it seems most of you say 10s.... and i will try ernie ball strings... as i sure wit ernie ball strings ten should still bend nice as if i have 9s on..
^ not everyone's opinion is equal. How many of the people advising you to go with 10s actually use 9s?

There's a ridiculous bandwagon which says heavier strings sound better- I disagree with it, they sound different, not better. There's an even more ridiculous one that suggests you're a wuss if you use 9s- needless to say I disagree with that one even more.

How many of the people saying not to use 9s actually play lead? Maybe you don't play lead, but I know I do, and the vast majority of lead players use pretty light gauge strings.

I actually use 9s on most of my guitars. If you're used to 9s, 10s will feel stiff, almost regardless of brand, and even with a slightly shorter scale length. If you're willing to put in the work to get your finger strength up, then that's not a problem, but be aware that that's what you're going to have to do. That's pretty much it in a nutshell.

Quote by '93
but sound wise 10s would be good

while it might be the hardest guitar to play a strat with 9s might me to bright (opinion really) so im sure 10s would fit and sound nice

i dunno. I'm not convinced heavier gauge strings sound any better, they just sound different. I prefer the tone of lighter strings, generally.

Quote by RicPracticeBot
This. If they're good enough for John Frusciante then they're certainly good enough for me.

using that same logic might I also assume you're a heroin addict?

seriously, with something like string gauge which is clearly 100% personal preference, there's not much point in saying, "Guitarist X uses these strings, so should you!"...

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Oct 2, 2010,
Quote by Dave_Mc

Excellent deduction.

9's to 10's isnt really a tension difference at all, honestly. maybe just a SLIGHT change, but seriously, there shouldn't be any problems.
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"
Quote by randomhero93
9's to 10's isnt really a tension difference at all, honestly. maybe just a SLIGHT change, but seriously, there shouldn't be any problems.

i notice a pretty gigantic difference. Then again, I play a lot of lead, and maybe I'm fussy.

But he might be too.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
i notice a pretty gigantic difference. Then again, I play a lot of lead, and maybe I'm fussy.

But he might be too.

well, i notice the change when i switch between my 2 guitars. one has 13-65's and one has 10-52's. So, i'm quite used to really thick strings. so, that makes 10's and 9's feel really similar to me.
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"
I don't know much about strings but some D'Addario 9s or 10s will be fine - I've used 9s for a while and they're very durable.
ernie ball regular slinky
Audio Ecstasy Productions!

Guitar/Backline Tech in the Los Angeles area and on tour!
Custom guitar pedals and cabling for stage and studio!

I set up DAWs and tweak computers to record audio. Hit me up @ audioecstasyproductions[at}gmail.com
Quote by Dave_Mc

But he might be too.

yes i am also fussy... and i play lots of leads....

after reading some other comments from members who use 9s i think i will stick with 9s and try ernie ball strings.. in 9-42... i been using DR strings for awhile cause i started noticing daddario has started to not sound as good as they use too.....
^ don't let me put you off 10s- if you want to try them, by all means do so. They'll only cost you, what, $5? And if you don't like them, you can go back to 9s. But likewise don't let someone who plays 13s tell you that there's no tension difference between 9s or 10s, or that 10s are easy to bend, because of course that might appear to be the case if you're used to 13s. You wouldn't let someone who lives on spicy food tell you whether something you hadn't tried was spicy or not- same thing here. You find someone with similar tastes to you and ask them.

Quote by randomhero93
well, i notice the change when i switch between my 2 guitars. one has 13-65's and one has 10-52's. So, i'm quite used to really thick strings. so, that makes 10's and 9's feel really similar to me.

right, there you go. Now compare yourself to the threadstarter, who is used to 9s.

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc

right, there you go. Now compare yourself to the threadstarter, who is used to 9s.

right, well, when i got both of my guitars, both were strung with 9's. and then when i put 10's on one of them, i felt almost no difference, just very very slightly more tension, but it didnt affect my playing at all. then i started gauging the one up to 13's. and put 10-52's on the other. but beyond the point. i feel almost no differnce between 9's and 10's when it comes to playability.
Quote by pedromiles101
that's fair enough, but you're like the only person i've ever heard who didn't notice any difference. do you work out?
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?