Page 1 of 3
...but I think my amp is ****ed up.

I got an Egnater Renegade from UPS today...and its not really behaving properly.

I've got a few problems, and I want to see if any of you guys have experienced these before.

When I use the reverb on the amp, it doesn't really sound...right. I sort of hear an echoed fizzled version of what I played fading out...it sounds distorted, even on the clean channel.

Next on my list of problems, when I use the line out into my recording interface, there is a lot of noise. The hiss is almost as loud as the sound the amp produces (on the recording).

Third...this happens only on the overdrive channel. When I turn on my chorus pedal (in the FX loop) the amp becomes muffled and a LOT quieter. Its only with the chorus pedal (which normally boosts the volume a bit). At first I thought it was just the pedal, but it works on the clean channel fine, and it works perfectly with Rebel 20.

I've also noticed that when I pick a string exceptionally hard, it has the same effect (but only for a moment or so, just when I hit the string).

Now, I'm not even cranking the amp. I'm playing at a decent volume, but it is in no way cranked...

What the **** is happening?

Btw, I'm sure this has something to do with the fact that just before the ups guy knocked, I heard a huge *BOOM* and my walls shook. When I opened the door, the guy was hauling ass back to his truck, and the box was on its side up against the wall...

Should I return this ****ing thing?
Quote by rmr024
Well, in California, people carry around devices that control the minds of bears. So expect to see people walking their bears.

Also, don't be surprised if some robot hookers try to solicit sex to you on the streets.
Quote by SLonergan
Should I return this ****ing thing?

Yes.

Also, don't UPS require a signature before leaving a parcel? Or is that just here?
Head or combo? If it's the combo it's more likely the guy was probably like f*** this thing it's heavy. Either way, I would complain to UPS on that one.

Really the only thing I can think of you can do without taking it to a tech would be to make sure all the tubes are seated correctly, and if you have any other preamp tubes try them out. The ones in there may be microphonic or screwed from being dropped.
oh man am I sorry to hear that.

edit: make sure all the tubes are seated and that the reverb tank is correctly connected.
Quote by gregs1020
oh man am I sorry to hear that.

edit: make sure all the tubes are seated and that the reverb tank is correctly connected.

Can I get some instructions on how to do that?
Quote by rmr024
Well, in California, people carry around devices that control the minds of bears. So expect to see people walking their bears.

Also, don't be surprised if some robot hookers try to solicit sex to you on the streets.
the reverb is digital, IIRC, so a big shock, such as a drop from a f*cking retarded delivery man, could potentiall damage it.

and yeah, bring that shit up with UPS. they have schedules of the drivers, so if you know what time he came by, you can prolly nail the bastard.

did the deliveryman happen to look like this?
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
Quote by Jhachey22
the reverb is digital, IIRC, so a big shock, such as a drop from a f*cking retarded delivery man, could potentiall damage it.

and yeah, bring that shit up with UPS. they have schedules of the drivers, so if you know what time he came by, you can prolly nail the bastard.

did the deliveryman happen to look like this?

I couldn't tell! All I saw was his ass as he ran back to his truck of hatred!
Quote by rmr024

Quote by Denthúl

Also, don't UPS require a signature before leaving a parcel? Or is that just here?

They normally do require a signature...I don't know what made this case special. Probably the fact that he broke my shit and didn't want to deal with me...

...smart move.
Quote by rmr024

Quote by SLonergan
Can I get some instructions on how to do that?

Carefully remove the tubes and reseat them one-by-one. DO NOT USE YOUR BARE HANDS FOR THIS. Wrap a clean cotton cloth around the tubes to keep your skin oil off of them. If that doesn’t work, call Egnater. It may be faster to deal with their warranty support who can mail parts faster than you can do a return. And if you do return it the UPS asshat might do the same dumb shit.
Quote by SLonergan
They normally do require a signature...I don't know what made this case special. Probably the fact that he broke my shit and didn't want to deal with me...

...smart move.

Yeah, as I said, just send it back. Contact the company that you bought it from and explain the circumstances, they should swap it out. If they get awkward, kick up a fuss, complain to them, to UPS etc. and insist upon a replacement.
Well, I just got done talking to UPS...here's what is being put into the guy's file, and what is being reported to his manager.

"Package was thrown onto the front porch, and hit the wall hard enough to rattle the walls in the apartment."

I talked to zZounds, and I can reship it on Monday once they give me my return label.

At this point I'm considering just getting a refund and buying it out of the store...avoid this bullshit.
Quote by rmr024

i didn't realize the reverb was digital. i agree on re-seating all of the tubes and see what it sounds like. pull straight out when removing and place in the exact same way. tube pins only line up on way with the socket so they go back in the same way they came out.

f'in UPS.
that sucks, it does sound like there's something wrong. Hopefully you'll get it sent back ok and that'll be it sorted.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
that sucks, it does sound like there's something wrong. Hopefully you'll get it sent back ok and that'll be it sorted.

Yeah, I'm not too angry...it had to happen to me sometime, and at least it was with something that is easily fixed.

I'm still happy with my Rebel in the meantime
Quote by rmr024

Quote by SLonergan
Yeah, I'm not too angry...it had to happen to me sometime, and at least it was with something that is easily fixed.

I'm still happy with my Rebel in the meantime

Rebels FTW.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
damn UPS guys, you never know when they are coming and they just toss our packages around.
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7
I don't know how to count canadians, the metric system is hard

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

{Pedalboard Thread Native: The Muffin Man}
Dude that sucks. What a shitty guy, running away like that.

The UPS guy that brought my Mark IV combo just lifted the box over his shoulder like a beast. My dad ran to the door before he got there and the guy brought it into the living room and set it down like it was nothing.

The guy was freaking BUILT.

I could barely even lift the box off it's side, and forget about actually picking up the combo. I roll it around on its casters
I'm getting my Renegade Tuesday. Hopefully the Fedex guy is a little nicer to mine.

After hearing this I'm definitely sitting on the porch with a shotgun, "You better treat my amp nice, boy"
Washburn HM Idol w/ SD JB in bridge > Ibanez Weeping Demon > Korg Pitchblack > Digitech Bad Monkey > Boss NS-2 > Boss DD-6 > Egnater Renegade > Splawn 2x12 w/ Weber Sig12Bs

I order stuff from Musician's Friend all the time and their online ordering ships UPS by default. I don't know how it is in other areas, but every time I get a UPS package it is covered in dents, footprints, and on more than one occasion a large hole in the box. Luckily none of my orders have ever broken or had problems, but it happens so often I have to call in and have them FedEx it now. I will never intentionally have UPS deliver my stuff ever again.

One time we were trying out a bass player for our band. He said "Hey man you look familiar, do you order stuff via UPS a lot?" I told him "Yeah, I order musical equipment and get it delivered by you guys all the time." He then proceeded to tell us all kinds of stories about throwing people's stuff around and breaking or "losing" things on purpose. Needless to say, he did not make the tryout.
Unfortunately if I want to get free shipping, when they re-ship my new one it has to be UPS. If this one arrives damaged, I'm just gonna return it and buy it from the store.

I'll have to wait a little longer, but...that's the way it goes sometimes...
Quote by rmr024

Quote by jpnyc
Carefully remove the tubes and reseat them one-by-one. DO NOT USE YOUR BARE HANDS FOR THIS. Wrap a clean cotton cloth around the tubes to keep your skin oil off of them. If that doesn’t work, call Egnater. It may be faster to deal with their warranty support who can mail parts faster than you can do a return. And if you do return it the UPS asshat might do the same dumb shit.
Tubes don't give a flying **** about your skin oils. But otherwise, that's good advice.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
Anyway, THIS is what's confusing me the most:

Quote by SLonergan

Third...this happens only on the overdrive channel. When I turn on my chorus pedal (in the FX loop) the amp becomes muffled and a LOT quieter. Its only with the chorus pedal (which normally boosts the volume a bit). At first I thought it was just the pedal, but it works on the clean channel fine, and it works perfectly with Rebel 20.

I've also noticed that when I pick a string exceptionally hard, it has the same effect (but only for a moment or so, just when I hit the string).

I understand that the reverb unit was probably damaged, which is what's causing that hiss...but what could possible be causing it to get all muffled when my chorus pedal goes on? I'd feel a lot better if I knew what was causing it...'cause at this point I'm scared that I'm going to get a new one and the same thing is going to happen...

ALSO (and this right here is ****ed up) the night before it was delivered, I had a dream that the ups guy dropped the package in front of me, and broke the amp...

I'm a ****ING PSYCHIC!
Quote by rmr024

Quote by Kanthras
Tubes don't give a flying **** about your skin oils. But otherwise, that's good advice.

Skin oils can cause uneven temperature on the outside of the tubes!
Quote by rmr024

Quote by SLonergan
Skin oils can cause uneven temperature on the outside of the tubes!
Oh, NO! THE HORROR!
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

I've had people tell me the cloth thing too. I imagine that well washed hands prob wouldn't hurt anything, but I wouldn't change tubes while eating a pizza.
I think im right in saying that uneven temperatures on the outside of glass surfaces which are exposed to high temperatures can cause weak spots on the glass, i think it's the same as with halogen lamps etc. so imho thats pretty sound advice.

(i may be wrong though lol)
Guitars
Fender USA Strat
Tele c/w Bare Knucks
Amps
Dr Z Remedy
Orange Dual Terror
Epiphone VJ
Orange 1X12 Cab
Pedals
Loads!!
Quote by northernboy1987
I think im right in saying that uneven temperatures on the outside of glass surfaces which are exposed to high temperatures can cause weak spots on the glass, i think it's the same as with halogen lamps etc. so imho thats pretty sound advice.

(i may be wrong though lol)

I heard that it makes your tubes die faster.
Quote by rmr024

So does anyone know why the amp gets all muffled and quiet when I turn on my chorus? (Chorus isn't broken, I tried it on the clean channel, and it still works with my Rebel 20).
Quote by rmr024

Quote by northernboy1987
Halogen lamps get WAY hotter than vacuum tubes. This is another one of those myths that really needs to die.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Dude you realize when you are using the line out you need some kind of speaker emulation software running or it will sound like shit.

Download keFIR

http://www.hitsquad.com/smm/programs/keFIR/

Then download this. And put it into your VST folder

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1569935/ASEM%20RECTO%20V30%20L2.wav

Scan for VSTs in your DAW and load keFIR on the guitar track. Open up keFIR and load the wav file above. Should sound 1000000x better because at the moment you are just using the signal from the preamp and nothing else, without some kind of speaker emulation all you will hear is a ton of fizz.
Guitars:
Ibanez UV777P
Ibanez RGD2127FX
Ibanez RG3120TW
Ibanez RGD7321
Ibanez RG6003FM
Ibanez SA160
Jackson Slatxmg3-7
Amps:
Baron Custom Amps K88
Rivera Knucklehead TRE
Fryette Sig: X
Randall RM4 /w Modded modules
Cabs:
Mesa 4x12
Bogner 4x12
Peavey 4x12(K85s)
Were I you, I'd probably yell after the guy and say thanks for being oh so caring with a box that more than likely said HANDLE WITH CARE and FRAGILE all over. That fucking idiot.

Straight up call UPS and have a bitch fit and that guy will get his ass handed to him by his employers for not taking care of the shit he's delivering. Also return it if you can't fix the problem.
Quote by SG_dave at #33549256
I've never wanted to see a guy eat dick so much in my life.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7 at #33553650
If you are white, you are scum.
Your problem with the chorus pedal almost sounds like speaker flubbing. But that doesn't make any sense.
When I first got my old 2x12 cab, if I dug in with my pick, it would flub out the speakers, or if I used any kind of pedal it would do the same.
Washburn HM Idol w/ SD JB in bridge > Ibanez Weeping Demon > Korg Pitchblack > Digitech Bad Monkey > Boss NS-2 > Boss DD-6 > Egnater Renegade > Splawn 2x12 w/ Weber Sig12Bs

Quote by Unskathed
Your problem with the chorus pedal almost sounds like speaker flubbing. But that doesn't make any sense.
When I first got my old 2x12 cab, if I dug in with my pick, it would flub out the speakers, or if I used any kind of pedal it would do the same.

Is it possible that because I'm using a 1x12 the speaker can't handle the amp?

The speaker is 80 watts and the amp only goes to 65...
Quote by rmr024

Alright. I have two days until I can send this back, so I'm going to try to fix it.
Quote by rmr024

Quote by kylendm

Then download this. And put it into your VST folder

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1569935/ASEM%20RECTO%20V30%20L2.wav

How do I download that?

EDIT: nvm, I got it
Quote by rmr024

Last edited by SLonergan at Oct 2, 2010,
Quote by SLonergan
Alright. I have two days until I can send this back, so I'm going to try to fix it.

DONT TOUCH IT. anything you do to it now will be your fault, and they can blame any damage on you. leave it as it is, send it back in two days.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Page 1 of 3