ok I think another reason why I suck is because I can't hold the pick right and I don't know how to hold the guitar with my left hand.

I found this website after searching like 20 pages of google.

every amazing guitar player I see uses this technique. They never change however they play.

http://www.zentao.com/guitar/lesson1/baseball.gif

I don't understand how you can do that. I can't reach my fingers far if doing that.

The other technique is this one http://www.zentao.com/guitar/lesson1/classical.gif

The person who made that website says use the classical one.

Well I don't use that either. Mine is similar but instead of my thumb centered its more to the left an on an angle. The only time it gets centered if I am playing up the higher frets.

Can someone please explain the better technique and why.
It depends on your style mostly, if you're going to shred then you'll want to use the classical one. If you'll be playing bluesy solos mostly then you can get away with the first one, which feels more comfortable, at least to me
The classical one offers better playability, the thumb-over one offers more comfort.
I use the classical position for chords and rhythm stuff, baseball for everything else really.

But I'm not really anyone to go by
Quote by malephik
It depends on your style mostly, if you're going to shred then you'll want to use the classical one. If you'll be playing bluesy solos mostly then you can get away with the first one, which feels more comfortable, at least to me
The classical one offers better playability, the thumb-over one offers more comfort.

please explain how you hold it like the baseball. I can't do it all. Like I can't reach anything.
I use the classical position for everything. I hate having my thumb on the fretboard at all, just feels wrong to me.

DON'T PANIC! DON'T PANIC!
THEY DON'T LIKE IT UP 'EM!
to be honest I constantly move my thumb position when playing, because sometimes you can only fret the sixth string with your thumb if your trying to get some really awkward chords, as well as playing powerchords in drop d with just your thumb, which I love to do when playing live because people seem to think it is more difficult to do that kind of thing i guess, but soloing and some chords like the open position G major:

e|-3-|
b|-3-|
g|-0-|
d|-0-|
a|-2-|
e|-3-|

are easier to fret with your thumb behind the neck..... honestly as long as you can still play and you are comfortable just keep going.....
Quote by slityourguts
please explain how you hold it like the baseball. I can't do it all. Like I can't reach anything.

You don't HAVE to hold it either way, just use whatever way is more comfortable to you, but if you're just starting out, make sure you get used to the classical position so you can always turn to that when you need it (and you most probably will).