I know the thread title sounds stupid but I bought an Ibanez PGM301 last month from ebay and I've been a bit disappointed with the sound. It's a great guitar just I didn't do as much research before I bought it as I should have and find it sounds too bright for my playing style which is hard rock/metal.

I knew the maple neck would give it a bit of a brighter sound; but having never used a maple neck before I didn't realise how much difference it would make in combination with the basswood body which i've never used as well.

The guitar has DiMarzio Paf Pro's in it, which to me don't sound as heavy or thick as the sound i'm after. The bridge doesn't seem distorted enough and the neck pickup seems too sharp and not warm enough.

I was thinking of installing a Seymour Duncan SH-6 Distortion in the bridge, a Seymour Duncan STHR1 Hot Rails single coil in the middle and a Seymour Duncan Jazz SH-2 in the neck. Would this help getting the sound I’m after? Is it still going to be just as twangy/bright because of the neck and body material or would the PAF's be adding to the brightness? I know I’m not going to get a really thick tone but if there's any way to tone down the brightness a bit it would be good.

It's still noticeable when I plug into my line 6 tone port on the PC and add effects and EQ the guitar to my liking although I can get a fairly decent tone out of it but when jamming with my mates where I’m plugging directly into a Marshall MG100 amp it becomes a real problem even when I turn the bass up. Don't really want to have to buy any effects pedals unless I start gigging.

I might sell it if I'm unable to get a bit thicker/aggressive tone out of the guitar (really like the feel of the neck and look of the guitar though).

Any advice would be appreciated!

Cheers
Last edited by I_Like_Guitar at Oct 1, 2010,
i wouldn't say basswood/maple is that bright. you just might not like the paf pros, they're not particularly high output. Better amp would help too.

Not sure if I'd go with a distortion in the bridge, it's quite bright too. Jazz should work in the neck, or air norton if you want a dimarzio. I wouldn't go with a hotrails in the middle unless you really don't need a single coil tone, I mean you should already have humbucker tones covered by the neck and bridge humbucker. I'd personally just go with a normal single coil, or at least a stacked single if noise is a problem (e.g. dimarzio virtual vintage). Tone zone would be the obvious candidate for the bridge, if you want to stick to dimarzio, and want to fatten it up, though it may be overkill.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Strings make a difference in tone. Thicker strings will have a thicker, fuller sound. What do you currently have on it?
Warmoth Strat w/ Lace Holy Grails
'07 Roadhouse Strat
Washburn WD-21 all Koa Acoustic
Marshall JCM-2000 TSL-122
Bugera V-5
Hey thanks for the replies. Yeah i'm not really that interested in getting a single coil tone, thought that instead of completely removing the single coil I could get a slightly fuller sound putting the hotrail in. I can't afford a new amp and don't want to spend heaps of money on effects that I don't really need yet until I start gigging.

I've always had Seymour Duncan's in my guitars before and everyone else around me uses them too; maybe my ears are just used to them? I'd prefer to buy Seymour's instead of Dimarzio's as they seem to have more attack.

Yeah I think maybe the strings could have something to do with a bit of the twang; the guy I bought the guitar from said he put Earny Ball's in and i'm used to D'addario's. Not sure what thickness is in at the moment but I usually use .009s to .042.
.009s are a pretty light gauge. You will get a fuller tone with heavier strings. I would try that before selling the guitar. Also, titanium wound strings will sound twangier anyway.
Warmoth Strat w/ Lace Holy Grails
'07 Roadhouse Strat
Washburn WD-21 all Koa Acoustic
Marshall JCM-2000 TSL-122
Bugera V-5
if you prefer duncans, that's fair enough. I think you're right (based on my limited experience with both), they do both seem to have their own sound.

not quite sure of which duncan i'd suggest for the bridge, though, most i've tried have been pretty bright and not overly thick... pearly gates is pretty thick, but it might not be modern enough for you. Custom 5 maybe? I haven't tried that one, though (just the custom and custom custom).

EDIT: if you're used to the tone of 9s i doubt the gauge is the problem. brand, maybe (different brands will have a different tone). I thought ernie balls were warmer than d'addario, which i always found a bit twangy, but I could be wrong (it's ages since I've used either).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Oct 1, 2010,
Your guitar is not the problem. The pickups are not the problem. The MG is the problem. You're just not going to get the sound you're looking for out of it.
Quote by dr_shred
FrustratedRocka you are a legend

Quote by littlephil

The man clearly knows his shit.

Quote by Banjocal

one of the best, educated and logical posts I've ever seen on UG in the Pit. Well done good sir.
Quote by FrustratedRocka
Your guitar is not the problem. The pickups are not the problem. The MG is the problem. You're just not going to get the sound you're looking for out of it.

The guy lives in australia. Can't really fault him for getting the mg.
Quote by patriotplayer90
The guy lives in australia. Can't really fault him for getting the mg.

what? australia has mainly the same stock as anywhere else, and there is a huge used market. You can get a used DSL for a cheaper price than a new MG.
Quote by Mad Marius
DBZ guitars, love'em. Especially their Les Piccolo model.
Changing the volume pot value to something lower would help darken the tone up.