i plan to upgrade my MIM strat. i was just going to buy an American one, but i really like this guitar. i got it for $200 with the plastic on it with a marchall mg amp... lol. its black and white with a maple board.

i think i am going to go guitarfetish on most of it, it seems like a lot of people sing GFS stuff high praise.

i like thier Boston Blues pickups a lot from demos, and its wound to where i like it, and its non rwrp, which i also like. $73 for all three.
http://www.guitarfetish.com/Boston-Blues-Alnico-Strat-Pickup-Set-Texas-Wound-SUPER-blues-Power_p_141.html

i am thinking of upgrading with a brass trem block, that is $23, and from everybody who has upgraded their block have loved the new tone.

unless any of those are really bad, i will probably be getting those pickups, and that block.

now here are the questions.

should i upgrade the pots/cap/jack while i am at it?
they sell 26ga wire only, but its cheap. is that good enough to make it worth it, and heavy enough gauge?

does all of this seem worth it?
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
if you like the guitar, by all means go nuts on upgrading.

GFS is good, but if you can get some more money together you can get even better gear.
mojostompboxes.com
Quote by greeny23

GFS is good, but if you can get some more money together you can get even better gear.

i honestly didn't care for the GFS until i heard a blind test on a Harmony-Central with the Boston Blues Vs. Frahlins, and two thirds of the people prefered the GFS. it was actually quite shocking. the were both in MIM strats., and had similar qualitys.

do you think the trem block would be of poorer quality than one from somewhere else?
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Quote by greeny23

i realize that, but for this, i just want something that sounds good. if it were one of my other guitars (my les pauls) i would be getting BKN's ($300 for pair), and probably will soon in my main LP.

the strat is already nice, and i want to upgrade, and do so affordibly. the one thing that i feel could be a compramise would be the trem block, so i am leary on that.

as far as the pickups go, i really like them, and realistically would probably pay a lot more for the set if they were more expensive. this is different, because i never buy cheap gear anymore.

also i know that GFS has a really good reputation because they get such praise on HC it is rediculous. i have used some of their parts on a guitar my friend put toghter, and it seemed really solid, and he didn't lay out all that much $$$. i didn't like his pickups as much as the boston blues though.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
If I were you I'd go ahead and replace the pots with something else. I don't like my guitars super horribly trebly, which my old MIM strat was. I replaced the pots with some Fender pots off of Musician's Friend and that made it sound a lot better IMO.
And I know nothing about blocking off the trem, as I've always kept it intact, seeing as my strats have been the only guitars I've had with tremolo on them.
Main Gear:
Epi Les Paul Ultra II
Bastard Telecaster
Pignose Legendary 7-100

Manga I'm reading!!!
Bleach, OP, Naruto, GE, Rosario+Vampire, Soul Eater, Kyou Kara Ore Wa, Kimi No Iru Machi, HSD Kenichi, and many more!!!
Quote by Fantum1337
If I were you I'd go ahead and replace the pots with something else. I don't like my guitars super horribly trebly, which my old MIM strat was. I replaced the pots with some Fender pots off of Musician's Friend and that made it sound a lot better IMO.
And I know nothing about blocking off the trem, as I've always kept it intact, seeing as my strats have been the only guitars I've had with tremolo on them.

i was thinking about replacing all of the wiring, but i don't know if i want to spend $20 on doing so. as i will not be ordering no name pots from GFS.

you probably noticed the sound difference because you changed from 500k to 250k, or changing the caps, it probably wasn't due to quality of pots.

its not blocking the trem, its replacing the block in the tremolo from cheap potmetal to brass.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Eh... I've always figured wiring was wiring, and never really worried too much about it... lol
But yeah, that was most likely it. I was going to smart and say something about switching the pots, but I couldn't remember which was which... lol

Oh. I know nothing about bridges. You may as well have just started speaking Japanese. I probably would have understood you better

Yeah, any "upgrades" I've done have been very bare bones. Pots and pickups. Occasionally a pick guard. Nothing all fancy with the bridge or wiring. It's all foreign to me...

EDIT: just looked up those pickups. Do. Want.
If I can find any for a telecaster, I may drop them into my build I'll be starting in a few days...
Main Gear:
Epi Les Paul Ultra II
Bastard Telecaster
Pignose Legendary 7-100

Manga I'm reading!!!
Bleach, OP, Naruto, GE, Rosario+Vampire, Soul Eater, Kyou Kara Ore Wa, Kimi No Iru Machi, HSD Kenichi, and many more!!!
Last edited by Fantum1337 at Oct 2, 2010,
As a starting point you might ask yourself what it is about the tones you are getting now that you don't like and go from there. Not having the middle pup RW/RP will take away a lot of the "quack" that the 2 and 4 position get with a RW/RP middle.

If your MIM came stock with the thinner block then an "upgrade" would (imo) be worth it. Brass is generaly mellower compared to steel. You also consider "upgrading" the bridge saddles to either a good steel or brass type.

As far as the pots/electronics go if they stuff you have in there now is full size and working then I don't think it's worth changing out.
actually the reverse wound reverse polarity middle pickup takes away the "quack" in positions 2 and 4. at least it feels to me like it does. my middle pickups are wound in the same direction, same polarity on both my strats. the advantage RW/RP has is canceling the noise.

some made in mexico stratocasters come with a big tremolo block. if you got a bigger one, save yourself 20 bucks.

pots will only be worth swapping if they are noisy when you turn it, or the taper is bad/awkward. some pots use audio-linear taper (its audio, but linear) because it's cheaper to make. capacitors won't make much difference, unless you prefer more/less bass to be cut from the tone control...
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by Earthrug
As a starting point you might ask yourself what it is about the tones you are getting now that you don't like and go from there. Not having the middle pup RW/RP will take away a lot of the "quack" that the 2 and 4 position get with a RW/RP middle.

If your MIM came stock with the thinner block then an "upgrade" would (imo) be worth it. Brass is generaly mellower compared to steel. You also consider "upgrading" the bridge saddles to either a good steel or brass type.

As far as the pots/electronics go if they stuff you have in there now is full size and working then I don't think it's worth changing out.

i don't like the quack so they are non RW/RP, so IMO the combined postions are now usable.

i plan to upgrade the saddles to graphtech on my next order from MF.

i looked at my strat, and it would appear that i have the bigger block. i got a different impression on the sound of brass and steel from somewhere else. they said brass is more bassy, and would smooth out the treble a little bit.

i ended up taking the trem out of my cart because i decided i needed more cables.

i was also thinking of converting to gold hardware (i have some tuners laying around that are gold, and think the gold would make it look a lot better, so i am not planning on upgrading the bridge, unless i buy a gold one.

so now i am buying eight 20' premium cables with monster plugs, two 3' speaker cables, ten patch cables that are better than average, and two sets of pickups (for the strat and another single coil guitar because i found a set on sale for a good price).
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!