is there any way to take the effects out of the vypyr and use them as like a multi-effect kind of thing or something?
Guitars:
LTD F-50
Yamaha EG-112
'77 Harmony
Roadworn Starcaster
Gretsch G5120

Amps:
Vypyr 15
Epiphone Valve Junior combo
I really don't think so. Some effects, like distortion, are analog, which means you need hardware, ie. caps, resistors, and circuits. Which effects do you want to "steal"?
Quote by JackoMBA
I really don't think so. Some effects, like distortion, are analog, which means you need hardware, ie. caps, resistors, and circuits. Which effects do you want to "steal"?

But some effects are also Digital, like what the Vypyr has in it.
I think the TS wants to just take the effects thingy, and use the whole thing seperately.
..I was watching my death.
I'm wanting to just take the effects part out, like the one with chorus and flanger and all those, but are they all tied in the rest of the stuff or are they seperated onto a different board?
Guitars:
LTD F-50
Yamaha EG-112
'77 Harmony
Roadworn Starcaster
Gretsch G5120

Amps:
Vypyr 15
I'm sure it's integrated into the amp's PCB to avoid just that kind of thing.
hmmm i'll have a look later today and see, i really don't see why they'd care what people do with them after they've bought them, moneys money.
Guitars:
LTD F-50
Yamaha EG-112
'77 Harmony
Roadworn Starcaster
Gretsch G5120

Amps:
Vypyr 15
My Behringer head, and Line 6 floor pod:
Both modelers.
You can turn everything off but the Tuner and the Effects. The effects are pretty good.
Talking about the Behringer I mean.
I only use the Line 6 for the volume pedal, which needs to be re-calibrated but I don't know how.
Just thought I'd share.

Just realized, you have the Combo Vypyr. Usually only heads have the effects only feature.
Maybe the Vypyr has something like that?
..I was watching my death.
no it doesn't have anything like that which sucks, but the way peavey talks about it is like their effects and their amp are kind of just rolled into one head instead of like just put into one big board.
Guitars:
LTD F-50
Yamaha EG-112
'77 Harmony
Roadworn Starcaster
Gretsch G5120

Amps:
Vypyr 15
All the budget low-end modelling amps suck for "customizing," or modifying or changing or hacking, etc.

A lot of higher end modellers have usb input so you can mess with the patches. There's a small but close-knit hacking community for the Vetta II that makes homebrew patches that sound incredible. There's nothing like that for lower end amps, you're screwed to use whatever crap Peavey or Line6 or Marshall allows you to use.
hmmm well the way i'm thinking of it is the signal has to be fed through the effects then through the amp right? so whats really keeping me from taking the effects out and then just basically putting it into a new amp? assuming that there is a way to take them out of course.
Guitars:
LTD F-50
Yamaha EG-112
'77 Harmony
Roadworn Starcaster
Gretsch G5120

Amps:
Vypyr 15
The "effects" is just a computer, and it's also the digital preamp. That's what digital modelling is. It takes your signal, transforms the analog waveform into a digital one, runs it through the computer, and adds some algorithm to change the sound as one would do in any audio editing program.

A digital effects processor like the one in cheap modelling amps is 99% most likely to be just a microprocessor, some onboard RAM, and whatever software is stored in the RAM to be used in modifying the waveform. These components are part of the PCB design.

You can't open it up and expect to find an uncased POD or similar hooked up with some wires. The Vypyr would sound like 20x better if that were the case
Last edited by Seref at Oct 2, 2010,
^

In the case of the tube Vypyrs, the effects PCB is separate because it doesn't need to act as a digital preamp. The tube Vypyrs have full tube circuitry with a digital effects processor built in.

So in the case of a tube Vypyr, if you could take out the effects processor and modify it to have input and output, and the full range of controls on the front panel, it might actually be doable since it's not an integrated part of the amp.

But just to reiterate, it won't work that way with the non-tube amps. The digital effects processor is also part of the amplifier circuit, you can't just rip it out.
actually it looks like peavey did seperate them, i'm no amp tech but there is 2 seperate pcb's, i'll post a picture asap.
Guitars:
LTD F-50
Yamaha EG-112
'77 Harmony
Roadworn Starcaster
Gretsch G5120

Amps:
Vypyr 15
It doesn't have to be on the same PCB to be part of the amplification circuit, it just usually is to save on real estate. They probably separate it to have the computer components away from all the nearby EM radiation.

Either way, it's not just an effects processor. It is a digital preamp. Not just a preamp MODDELER like a POD, but it is physically the preamp. The Vypyr won't work without it. They Vypyr can't bypass it because it is the preamplifier. It is part of the amp, not just an effects box. The only way it could possibly used with another amp after a ton of modding if the mods are even possible is plugged into the effects loop return to bypass the amp's built in preamp, like any other rack preamp.
Last edited by Seref at Oct 3, 2010,
hmmm you and your knowledge haha but i see some ways you could get some parts and upgrade it in some ways like midi and adding the usb output. but on the preamp board it has the spot running from the input and then it has a wire out thats labeled output. thats what kinda makes me think i could run it to a different amp.

edit: reread your post and i think you just disproved this statement too
Guitars:
LTD F-50
Yamaha EG-112
'77 Harmony
Roadworn Starcaster
Gretsch G5120

Amps:
Vypyr 15
Last edited by grungebaby at Oct 3, 2010,