my band had finally fully formed and we jammed a few times and i had a few songs prepaired, but they weren't finished and there had been a lot of problems with practicing, like i'd be teaching 1 member they're part and every1 else would get impatient (its a large band, 5 core members including myself, and 2 more who jam when they have time, kinda tough to keep control, but i was lucky enough to have people who are willing to follow and let me lead), so because of this, as well as personal bullshit and stress over school/grades, i decided i'd take a few weeks off of practice and just write a set-list so i really have something worth presenting when we all jam again, but i'm finding trouble (as usual) focusing on the writing.

i've never played a show before with a band (i've played songs myself for people tho, open mic nights with an acoustic guitar, that kinda thing), and in my past bands, no1 was as determined as me and my lack of patience tore us apart. i REALLY don't want that to happen this time, this is actually a pretty good band, every1's technique is as good or better than mine on their instruments, not so much with theory but its ok since i write everything, so i like these people and i dont wanna screw this up. we agreed that we're gonna TRY to start playing shows by the end of November, but my lack of an attention span is slowing us down and this is the 1st time i really feel like its my fault for slow progress.

so i've messed around with a lot of ideas on a keyboard trying to compose full songs worth playing, and i've got good ideas but putting them together is just work my mind won't let me do, i have riffs and beats and dynamics etc. and i just don't have the will power to piece them together and make songs.

so what do u guys do when ur having trouble focusing? should i just persist and write as i can as fast as i can or should i take a break or what? thanks for all advice and sorry for the long post
if its that big of an issue for you to compose a full song, present YOUR part to the rest of the band, and let them do their thing and come up with something as a group effort. and add in little changes here and there to your liking
plmokn12 wrote:
Yes! You deserve a high five in the spirit of Jim Henson.

Gretsch G5129
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Fender Stratocaster HSS
Yamaha FG-336SB
Quote by bmxsulli
if its that big of an issue for you to compose a full song, present YOUR part to the rest of the band, and let them do their thing and come up with something as a group effort. and add in little changes here and there to your liking

its not really that im having trouble with all the instruments, if i could finish a song on the keyboard i could add in everything else easily, its just focusing on piecing together melodies and chord progressions that i like, like i can come up with something great and then finding the context in which its best used is just something i can't put the time into, ya know?
Well, it's no wonder that everyone gets bored if you use practice time for learning. Usually in my bands someone comes up with a chord progression and everyone writes their own parts for that. A song will be played upon everyone knowing the chords, which is simply a matter of looking at the chord sheets.

So that's what you should do. With your fully prepared songs, write out chord sheets for all members, and let them write their own parts.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by AlanHB
Well, it's no wonder that everyone gets bored if you use practice time for learning. Usually in my bands someone comes up with a chord progression and everyone writes their own parts for that. A song will be played upon everyone knowing the chords, which is simply a matter of looking at the chord sheets.

So that's what you should do. With your fully prepared songs, write out chord sheets for all members, and let them write their own parts.

ughh im a control freak and i have problems with that haha. besides, with all the instrumets we have, its damn near impossible for each of us to come up with their own part and expect it all to work together, and most members don't know crap about theory anyway
Quote by TMVATDI
ughh im a control freak and i have problems with that haha. besides, with all the instrumets we have, its damn near impossible for each of us to come up with their own part and expect it all to work together, and most members don't know crap about theory anyway

I don't really see the point of you having a band then at this point. It's better that you write everything completely, then write out sheet music for everyone else. Either that or pay session musicians to back you on stage.

But if you're going to be this controlling about everything, you'll have to ensure the other band members are fine having no creative freedom at all. That may not happen.
Soundcloud
Quote by AlanHB
I don't really see the point of you having a band then at this point. It's better that you write everything completely, then write out sheet music for everyone else. Either that or pay session musicians to back you on stage.

But if you're going to be this controlling about everything, you'll have to ensure the other band members are fine having no creative freedom at all. That may not happen.

i've already got a set of band members who are fine with it, i had to piss off a couple guitarists first but i got the right people now. i can't afford session musicians, and yeah the plan is for me to write everything out in sheet music (or tab for the 2 guitarists who can't sight-read well) i'm just having trouble staying on 1 song at a time when i write cuz my ideas go in like several different directions.

i guess my main question is, when you have trouble finishing a song, should you take a break and finish it later, or just push through the obstacle and get it done right then and there?

edit: and the deal me and the band members have worked out is that i'll teach them what i know about jazz improvisation techniques, then all their "creativity" can be let out in improvised jams, while the original songs (which we would record if we had the equipment) are written usually completely by myself or occassionally with the violinist/keyboardist/back-up vocalist. and every1 can contribute ideas, i just decide whether or not those ideas are worth using
Last edited by TMVATDI at Oct 3, 2010,
I really prefer to be in smaller bands. That way when I write a song or someone else writes a song we can click very easily and quickly. In my new band now it's just me as a guitarist, a bassist and a drummer. The drummer is fantastic as expected and the bassist can play guitar and I can play bass so musically we know our way around things. It just makes things so much easier if you don't try to force things. I write most of the songs, bring them to the table. I'll lay out my ideas for a bass line and he'll give his thoughts on what could be changed for certain parts.

When writing songs...

a, go to the songwriting forum for advice
b, don't write a song from start to finish. Have a main idea and work off of it. Be flexible with it since it can easily be changed in practices.
Quote by the_white_bunny
your just a simpleton that cant understand strategy apparently.

Quote by the_white_bunny
all hail king of the penis sucking(i said balls. you said dick for some reason?) Isabiggles
Quote by TMVATDI
edit: and the deal me and the band members have worked out is that i'll teach them what i know about jazz improvisation techniques, then all their "creativity" can be let out in improvised jams, while the original songs (which we would record if we had the equipment) are written usually completely by myself or occassionally with the violinist/keyboardist/back-up vocalist. and every1 can contribute ideas, i just decide whether or not those ideas are worth using

I'll be interested to hear some songs if you ever get them together. For me personally it sounds like both a too-controlling an environment to create music in.

As for jazz-improvisation techniques, I don't think I'd seek such advice from somebody who's having a hard time writing songs.
Soundcloud
Quote by AlanHB
I'll be interested to hear some songs if you ever get them together. For me personally it sounds like both a too-controlling an environment to create music in.

As for jazz-improvisation techniques, I don't think I'd seek such advice from somebody who's having a hard time writing songs.

oh we've got songs together, just not a lot, and they're simple songs that kinda bore me :p

hey i think im an adequite improviser. i'm not great, but compared to most musicians we know im a damn expert haha. most musicians we know aren't interested in improv, just shreddin out some deathcore and emo (usually without even using a lead guitar), which is fine if thats your thing, but they cant exactly teach jazz