I've been trying death metal vocals over the last few days and have a few questions. After singing for a few minutes, my throat feels dry (but doesn't sting or hurt - just dry, like after you've gone running while breathing through your mouth), is this normal? If not, what should I be doing? Also, I use the exhale method of singing, should I inhale through my nose, my mouth, or both? Lastly can someone recommend some songs that are good for a beginning DM vocalist to practice to?
Last edited by Xeros606 at Oct 2, 2010,
Okay, here's a big thing that will help keep your voice from getting dry, make sure you sing through your diaphram. If you're doing that, then I guess it's because you've been pushing alot of air... I'd say drink tea with honey.
Quote by DeadlyIllness
Okay, here's a big thing that will help keep your voice from getting dry, make sure you sing through your diaphram. If you're doing that, then I guess it's because you've been pushing alot of air... I'd say drink tea with honey.

People always say that, but can you elaborate on what it actually means? I always assumed it meant to basically fill your lungs with air, and push it all out (this is where the diaphragm comes in) through your mouth while your vocal chords are distorted to give the growling sound (this is basically what I'm doing).

I've been drinking water while singing, and while it does help, I don't think sipping water every 2 minutes is any way to be a proper vocalist. Any other ideas?

I'm really thinking it's mostly a problem with the way I'm inhaling, since I notice that air seems to pass through my throat even when I breathe through my nose.
Last edited by Xeros606 at Oct 2, 2010,
Error #1. No need to breathe in through your nose. Mouth is faster.

Error #2. No, you don't PUSH with the diaphragm. That leads to strain on the throat. Check this link here and go to the bottom of the page under "the hold of the breath" for what you should do.

Brian Vollmer from Helix does a good job of explaining it all - as well as how to do it - on his site. It's in the left column, about four paragraphs down. http://www.brianvollmer.com/

If you want to keep this thread going to discuss breathing, great. We'll keep it open. If you want advice specific on death metal vocals, there is "the only screaming/growling sticky" at the top.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Quote by Xeros606
People always say that, but can you elaborate on what it actually means? I always assumed it meant to basically fill your lungs with air, and push it all out (this is where the diaphragm comes in) through your mouth while your vocal chords are distorted to give the growling sound (this is basically what I'm doing).

I've been drinking water while singing, and while it does help, I don't think sipping water every 2 minutes is any way to be a proper vocalist. Any other ideas?

I'm really thinking it's mostly a problem with the way I'm inhaling, since I notice that air seems to pass through my throat even when I breathe through my nose.

i think drinking water is very important for you..your trying to get distortion with your voice..i dont really sing that like anymore so i ill give no advice on that...

when it comes to breathing..no you dont push with your diaphragm..it simply holds the air in your body..and you release it as you sing....when you breath in deep..you should allow your stomach to poke out not your chest..and every other part of your body should remain normal..

your adams apple shouldnt move up or down MUCH..it should stay in the same spot even on high notes...

if i was you id learn how to sing before learning how to growl or w/e...

if you breath in with your mouth wide open you feel the cool air hitting your sinus cavity...allow that to fill with air then start singing..and sing easy..singing incorrect doesnt take but 30 minutes to wear your voice out..then your not at optimal performance anymore...thats why we drink alot of water..honestly sometimes i drink 5 or more cups just in a hour or 2...

you prolly need to learn projection and resonating your voice

stay RELAXED! good luck
OK, so you're not sure where your diaphram is? Ok. Make an "SSSSSSSS" sound, start quietly and gradually get as loud as you can. That pushing you feel towards the floor? that is your diaphram muscles. Now you need to feel that lock that happens when you are "pushing" with it correctly. Go between "ssss" and "zzzzz" switch back and forth between both quickly. You''ll feel the push down, then the push up. NOw hopefully you're following me here. ... you want the feeling of the "zzzz" when you scream, and yes it is sort of pushing from your diaphram. You are still gonna break out, but that "lock" will sutain your breath pressure. Now as long as you know how to scream, this should work for you. Other than that, get the right amount of sleep (it won't work if your slept worth shit) , and keep hydrated, drink enough water. And do warm up your vocal chords (sing for a bit even if you are bad singer) .
Oh, yeah Green tea with milk and honey, drink it warm, it will warm up your throat, and honey will reduce any swelling that you might already have present, and milk makes you produce phlem...yeah muscus is a lubricant for your throat.
.... of course, that swelling is your body's way of trying to tell you that you're doing something wrong.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Depends on whether the person is just overdoing it while learning. Plus he was already doing it wrong, so be prob already has some irritations.