I use guitar pro 5 but I saw there is now a 6 and I watched a youtube video and it looks way better.

however I heard of another program called sibelius which is suppose to blow any guitar pro version out of the water. however i cant find any video reviews on it.

also there are other programs that are "suppose" to be better but I don't know them.

please link reviews explain what you use or know of thanks
Sibelius is better in that it's not specifically for guitar, bass, and drums. However, using it for guitar tabs is comparable to using a high-end PC exclusively for email and YouTube videos. It can do guitar tabs, but it does so much more. It's more for writing scores, really.
Sibelius is a scorewriter. It's not EXCLUSIVELY a tablature editor like Guitar Pro. In fact, it's not even aimed at guitarists. It's aimed at people who want to easily write orchestral music scores.

Yes, you CAN use it for guitar tablature, but why would you want to spend $600 on a program if you're just going to use it for the same thing you'd use Guitar Pro for?

However, using it for guitar tabs is comparable to using a high-end PC exclusively for email and YouTube videos.

This, exactly.
Q: Favourite Pink Floyd song?
A: The one where they get wicked high and play Emin and A for an hour.
okay so not Sibelius.

Are there any other programs you guys know of or recommend. Is the new guitar pro still #1?
I picked up guitar pro 6 not too long ago. It is amazing. Especially if you like to write down original songs. I make demo tracks with it. The amps and pedals make the playback pretty great sounding. The drums sound much better, and are much easier to write. It's just great. haha I recommend it completely.
hey I posted this over 2 months ago. totally forgot about it.

any other opinions? I still didn't decide.
gp6 really has no competitors.

powertab is alright but not really the same. everything else costs like 600 dollars and is for writing piano and orchestra scores.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
I've been using an older version for a while now, not really aware of any real competitor. GP does everything I need, and the tab files are plentiful on UG. I may upgrade to the newer version if the sound is really that much better though. Sometimes it sounds cheesy as hell... like 80's video game music or something.
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
Quote by jpatan
I've been using an older version for a while now, not really aware of any real competitor. GP does everything I need, and the tab files are plentiful on UG. I may upgrade to the newer version if the sound is really that much better though. Sometimes it sounds cheesy as hell... like 80's video game music or something.

yes it does sound cheesy I agree. But it can't be perfect. I was just wondering if there is anything better. Apparently not

GP6 sound is suppose to be a bit better for other instruments too if you want to write stuff. I am not at that stage yet.
the rse engine add on for gp5 doesn't sound that bad.

gp6 sounds way better and they redid the interface and everything as well.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
In my opinion GP5 > GP6 > Everything else

I feel they over complicated everything in GP6 and made it much harder to use. And anyway if you really need your compositions to sound THAT real then you're doing it wrong.

Until recently I wrote solely using my guitar and Guitar Pro. Now I've discovered how much more fun AND how much more free recording demos is over composing in Guitar Pro. There's stuff I can do in REAPER I could never dream of doing in Guitar Pro.

Dubstep Breakdown anyone?
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Quote by AcousticMirror
the rse engine add on for gp5 doesn't sound that bad.

gp6 sounds way better and they redid the interface and everything as well.

yeah I have the RSE for GP5. It does make it sound less midi and weird. Still want to try GP6.
damn, now I have ANOTHER thing to spend money on... thanks a lot.
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
Quote by ChemicalFire

I feel they over complicated everything in GP6 and made it much harder to use. And anyway if you really need your compositions to sound THAT real then you're doing it wrong.

Until recently I wrote solely using my guitar and Guitar Pro. Now I've discovered how much more fun AND how much more free recording demos is over composing in Guitar Pro. There's stuff I can do in REAPER I could never dream of doing in Guitar Pro.

Dubstep Breakdown anyone?

Reaper what is Reaper? Please tell us other users
Reaper is just a DAW like Logic or Cubase but you can run it on a trail indefinitely for free. Then when you do chose to buy it's very reasonably priced.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Quote by ChemicalFire
Reaper is just a DAW like Logic or Cubase but you can run it on a trail indefinitely for free. Then when you do chose to buy it's very reasonably priced.

ok I am gonna read up on that tomorrow thanks
IIRC there's a pretty good one for Linux as well. Might be worth looking into (if you use Linux).
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
Quote by ChemicalFire

+1

I have no clue how many songs I've made on GP5 and posted on here. Probably over 100. GP5 is so much easier to learn. RSE in itself is just stupid. GP5 and GP6 both suck. Just use the midi and have your band mates learn off of that. That's what I do.
Guitars:
Ibanez UV777P
Ibanez RGD2127FX
Ibanez RG3120TW
Ibanez RGD7321
Ibanez RG6003FM
Ibanez SA160
Jackson Slatxmg3-7
Amps:
Baron Custom Amps K88
Rivera Knucklehead TRE
Fryette Sig: X