first of all hello everyone!, this is my first post in this forum. So I have been playing guitar for about 6 years and mainly been playing been doing blues improv and playing off tabs and stuff. But I want to get into jazz improvisation, now i understand that jazz uses the modal system a lot and i have a basic idea about the modal system.

My problem is looking for some good baking tracks to start off. Most of the backing tracks available on the internet has rapid scale changes and chord changes which I find hard to keep up with.

If I could get some advice on where to find some good backing tracks that uses like one scale throughout, just to get me started off that would be very helpful.
And I would like to hear any other advice you might have on starting off on jazz improv.

cheers
Woah there cowboy! How is your knowledge of keys and application of major and minor scales?
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by AlanHB
Woah there cowboy! How is your knowledge of keys and application of major and minor scales?

I know how to figure out relative majors/minors
and uhmm key signatures
I dont use minor scales much, but i can do basic stuff with them on the fretboard(harmonic minors that is, ive hardly used melodic though i should be able to work it out)

and i know the kind and position of triads on the major/ minor scales.
Cocaine.

Lots and lots of cocaine.
Quote by silent caution
When i was younger i used to pee in peoples shoes and blame their dog
Okay well first off there are two ways to improv, one way is soloing over the track: that's where the scale you're using changes over each chord change of the rhythm. The other way is soloing through the track where you only use the scale of the key signature. The latter obviously sounding more bland, not wrong, 'cause all the chords are in the same key, but it's a good place to start. You'll have trouble finding 'slow progressions' in jazz, the slow progressions in jazz are mostly 2 chords per bar throughout the song with a 1 chord per bar every now and then.
Anyway yea, you can start out by soloing through. I personally went straight for the soloing over, just embedded the shapes of the scales I needed(took the correct dorian mode of every chord, chose the shapes so that they're close to each other) in my mind and worked my ass off!
Anyway good luck
Quote by chandin69
first of all hello everyone!, this is my first post in this forum. So I have been playing guitar for about 6 years and mainly been playing been doing blues improv and playing off tabs and stuff. But I want to get into jazz improvisation, now i understand that jazz uses the modal system a lot and i have a basic idea about the modal system.

My problem is looking for some good baking tracks to start off. Most of the backing tracks available on the internet has rapid scale changes and chord changes which I find hard to keep up with.

If I could get some advice on where to find some good backing tracks that uses like one scale throughout, just to get me started off that would be very helpful.
And I would like to hear any other advice you might have on starting off on jazz improv.

cheers

While I understand what Purple Bear is trying to say I disagree. I could carpetbomb a progression all day long, but if I apply MY way of playing other music to a Jazz progression, Im not truly getting the point. The point of playing over Jazz changes is to learn to understand Jazz,. If I merely treat Jazz as another jam track to solo over, what have I learned? Will it sound good, most likely, but I have the ability to do that over anything...that doesnt mean Ive learned anything. To play Jazz you have to play like a Jazz player does when he sees the progression, otherwise you missed the whole point.

Can you play on the fly and make changes in all 12 keys at will?

Do you know your Circle of 5ths and can you make changes, or switch keys up a minor 3rd etc?

Can you play arp lines for the min7 dom7 and maj7 in each key?

If the answer is no, then find some ii V I and vi ii V I's for backing tracks or make some in every key and practice them until you can do the above. Most guys playing or learning or practicing Jazz get a program called Band In a Box to accomplish their own midi background tracks.

Best,

Sean
Last edited by Sean0913 at Oct 2, 2010,
Quote by chandin69

cheers

http://www.ralphpatt.com/Backing.html#M

That should keep you busy for a few years.

As far as jazz songs that stay in one key, well there's not too many because part of the fun of jazz is changing tonalities.

A few that primarily stick to one key are:

All of Me
Autumn Leaves
Blue Monk
Fly Me to the moon
Jeepers Creepers