I've been skimming this forum looking for tips of how to possibly get the best sound out of recording my guitar/vocals and I'm very confused on the guitar part. I see a lot of recording your guitar with microphones and what and I'm confused because interfaces come with guitar inputs... Is the input inferior to recording using a microphone or what exactly is going? Playing normally through your amp and let the mic pickup the sound from it? I would LOVE for someone to tell me in detailed form how or what exactly is being done because I literally just started getting into recording and I would like to absord the best knowledge there is.

Also, what exactly would be good mics for electric guitar, acoustic, a bass, and vocals? And would piano need a microphone too or is the direct plug-in fine?
afaik micing up your amp is the way to go only if you really want to keep your amp's tone.
Bottom of the line, it sounds different, go with the one that sounds best to you
Tbh, for first time recording - it's alot easier, and generally more fun to just use a handheld mic, like the Zoom H4 and so on. And just play everything at once, from then on - if you're that keen, you can then record separate bits, and mix them together with Audacity.

But make sure you have a metronome or you're listening to original thing you recorded, otherwise it's a right nightmare.
You Dont Know Me

I have 10 Anarchy Points - I also have 8 Mythology points!

Peavey Generation EXP Custom White
Yamaha 120S Black
Korg AX5G
Digitech Whammy
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Boss OS2

Quote by mrfinkle213
This man has brains.

Quote by CoreysMonster
Banned for indirect reference.
I don't think you understood what I asked.. I didn't know what "micing up an amp" meant until reading the link Jam had posted. I was just curious as to how it was done and what would work best but it seems that it all just comes down to fiddling with it.

Also, thank you for that link. It helped me understand a bit more of what to expect from recording but it also left me with questions. Where could I get simulated amps to use inside of my audio programs?

EDIT: Thank you for the advice! I guess I'll toy around with the mic for a bit then.
Last edited by TheGreeneRoom at Oct 2, 2010,
Heres what i'd use for each thing:
Electric Guitar Amp - Dynamic Mic (Shure SM57)
Bass Amp - Large Diaphram Mic (AKG 112)
Acoustic Guitar - Condenser Mic (Rode NT1A)
Vocals - Condenser Mic (Rode NT1A)
Piano - 2 Overhead Mics (AKG 1000s)

At the moment i just plug my guitar and bass in Di to my laptop via M Audio Fast Track Pro, and use an amp simulation software called Amplitube 3. For drums i use Midi through the VSTi Superior Drummer, and piano i use Midi through the VST Plugin Reason 4.

Also if it's Metal you're looking at recording then this'll help alot for guitar: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=3176975091479283638#

Quote by TheGreeneRoom
Where could I get simulated amps to use inside of my audio programs?

Well, you could buy them, or you could *ahem* aquire them. My personal favourite is Amplitube 3, but Guitar Rig 4 is also good, but verrrrrrrrry expensive. Theres loads of good free ones too, Peavey do a good free one, and theres also guitar suite which has a good Marshall JCM simulator.
Last edited by Afroboy267 at Oct 2, 2010,
a guitar input is HiZ meaning you can just plug it in direct. it doesn't sound good though.
Audio Ecstasy Productions!

Guitar/Backline Tech in the Los Angeles area and on tour!
Custom guitar pedals and cabling for stage and studio!

I set up DAWs and tweak computers to record audio. Hit me up @ audioecstasyproductions[at}gmail.com
The recording industry is very secretive....we don't want to give away our POD Tact or anything....
See, the thing is, is that there IS no right or wrong way to do it. There are typical conventions that generally work, but the success of a producer is the combination of his/her knowledge of typical conventions and processes, combined with his/her ingenuity to create, capture and present new sounds in new ways.

Case in point.... until George Martin recorded the Beatles (White album?), it was considered "wrong" to close mic individual drums on a drum kit. By 1970, it became pretty much the de facto standard. It achieved a sound that was unconventional at the time, but a sound that quickly "everybody" wanted to achieve.

A couple of generalizations, though, from my experience:

- I have had success with amp modelers (V-Amp, etc.) and with amp simulator plugins. However, I am MOST successful when I use those sounds in conjunction with a real mic in front of a real cabinet.

- mic closer to the cone = more articulated sound, but also more brittle. mic closer to edge of speaker = warmer, smoother.

- mic closer to speaker = very dry. mic farther from speaker = more "live." Don't be afraid to use two mics (one closer, one farther) to combine the best of both.

- interesting study: look up "re-amping."

- if you have an open-backed cabinet, you can also (or instead) mic the *back* of the speaker

- one guitar might sound lonely; doubling guitar tracks makes it sound bigger.

- ^ careful, though... too many layers and you start sucking the life out of your recording. The "life" or "liveliness" of a recording is in the "air" or the "space" around and between the tracks. Layer on a dozen guitars, and all of a sudden, you just have a solid, mass (like a brick) of guitars. While this might sound like a good idea at first, when you hear something like this, you really start to appreciate that space or air between the sounds.

- double-tracking gives a FAR different result from simply copying and pasting a second track. But if you're going to double-track... get it TIGHT!

- before you hit record... for goodness sake.... TUNE!

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Thanks for all the helpful advice guys! I really appreciate it. I think I'm going to try all different ideas when it comes to my head for recording. Could you guys point me in the direction of free simulators? I googled them but I kept coming up empty handed..
I use an internal powercore connected to an external TC Electronics Konnekt 48 Audio interface in which I've pluged in external effects and my digital mixer..
From that digital mixer I send the Master out to an external CD recorder..

For guitar I either use my old Line6 Toneport UX8 rack or I use the booth I've set up to record with a microphone, both work well..

EDIT : I only read the title of the thread Didn't realize you need advice
I put a dollar in a change machine. Nothing changed.
I press a few buttons then make notes fly at me while I hit the colored notes as they come into the right spot
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp