Metal head Needs help with building a home recording studio. Please please please!

What's going on guys. I'm a utter complete noob with absolutely 0 experience with home recording.

Here's the scoop. I have about $2500 I want to drop on a recording studio in my room. Now I'm already going to spend about $1000 of that on a MacBook pro for this, which leaves me around about $1200-1300 (after taxes and whatever) to spend.

And now I need help.

I'm mainly going to be recording deathcore and metalcore. Im not looking for being able to record drums. I want to program them.

So where do I start? I already went to guitar center to window-shop and ask the ppl there for their help but I feel like I didn't get anywhere.

I mean I'm not trying to be able to produce "Joey sturgis quality" tracks but I don't want it to sound like an 8th grader with down syndrome tinkering with GarageBand either.

So what specs should I get with my MacBook pro when I order it
Should I try to mic my amp (line 6 spyder III) or should I use stuff like guitar rig
If I mic it, what's a mic that would be good for both micing an amp AND recording metal vocals
What kind of DAWs are out there that are affordable yet good for metal
What kind of guitar interface should I look at getting
What software should I use for drum programming metal drums? (blast beats, "clicky sounding triggerd bass drums, piercing crashes, popcorn snares, etc. )
How can I get bass drops or 808 sounds for breakdowns
What good monitors are out there?
If I do decide to go with direct input guitars, how can I get effects, or that high gain, fatty Mesa tone without it sounding like crap
WTF is asio or phantom power

I have all these questions and more. Please help. In fact honestly, if anyof you who know what your doing, I would actually love for you to pm me with your phone number so I could ask you these questions. I feel like a 10, 15 min phone conversation would be way better then a day or two of messaging back on forth would be.

Please anything helps. Thanks a lot!

Brian.
A dreamcatcher works, if your dream is to be gay.
-- Demetri Martin

Maryland Deathcore
Hang The Wench
pro-tip. read the sticky. Also, dont double post topics in 2 different areas
i have a modest rig which consists of guitar related stuff
Member of the Laney Cult
Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.

my band : Fragments.
Quote by kai2demax
pro-tip. read the sticky. Also, dont double post topics in 2 different areas

Protip. I posted this in the pit first ten someone said to take it to the recording section. Then I posted it here, but since I'm on an iPhone and not a computer, I'm having trouble trying to delete the post I put in the pit.
A dreamcatcher works, if your dream is to be gay.
-- Demetri Martin

Maryland Deathcore
Hang The Wench
Quote by xD3vourm3nTx
Protip. I posted this in the pit first ten someone said to take it to the recording section. Then I posted it here, but since I'm on an iPhone and not a computer, I'm having trouble trying to delete the post I put in the pit.

Pro-Tip.

Don't be a douche when someone's just trying to help you out...
Quote by Zeppelin71
Umm. . .uh. . .your mom touched sjones' dick. YOUR MOM TOUCHED OUR GUITARISTS GENITALS IN A CAMPER AT A BIKER FESTIVAL! truth.
@xD3vourm3nTx - it sounds like you followed the right procedure. Don't worry about it.

If I were you, I would pass on the MacBook. Seriously. You should get a PC (a desktop will give you more power for the money as well), and use the probably $700 you'll save on the computer to expand your range of options for gear.

Now, you want to do programmed drums... not live drums. That means that you only need a few inputs - perhaps even only one or two. That will allow you to get a less expensive interface and have more money for mics or monitors or software.

Many interfaces come bundled with recording software that is perfectly usable. M-Audio products often come bundled with a very usable version of ProTools. Some tascam stuff comes bundled with very usable versions of Cubase. Start with those, I would say.

Scrimp as little as possible on mics and monitors. Ultimately, these will have a FAR greater impact on the quality of your recordings than what interface you use or what computer you use.

Phantom power is used to power condensor mics.

ASIO is a software standard that essentially governs how the drivers for your audio equipment communicate with your software. It was developed by Steinberg, the company that creates Cubase and Nuendo.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Honestly, the best advice I can give is shell out some money on a new amp. Your Spider will not cut it, I'm sorry to say. Go to the gear forum for advice on what, they'll give you some good suggestions.

I agree with Chris when he says don't bother with the Mac, you can get a better PC for a much lower price. Why waste money on a brand name unless it really offers something extra? Put this money towards an amp.

As for software guitar amp sims, there are some OK ones but honestly, if you're serious it's much better and easier (in my opinion) to mic up a good amp.

Other than that:

DAW: Reaper - Cheap and fantastic. Unlimited trial so you can try if first to see if you like it.

Drums: Superior Drummer 2.0 - The Metal Foundry expansion pack for this is great too if you want to spend some extra. There are other options to look into as well like Addictive Drums or Steven Slate drums, but I have no experience with these.

Mics: Shure SM57 - The place to start for guitars (assuming you have a good amp). You may be able to get away with it for the kind of vocals you're doing if you have a pop shield, but it won't be the best. Get another mic too if you can, may be best to try some out and see what works for your voice.

Monitors: A lot of people around here (including me) have KRK RP5G2s. Try a few out and see how they compare though, you'd be surprised how different monitors can sound.

Interface: Yeah, what Chris said. Something with one or two inputs, preferably ones that double as instrument and XLR inputs. Maybe some MIDI connections too if you want to use MIDI later on.

Any questions, just ask
Quote by Liberation
Every time I see your avatar I want to slit your neck with a butterknife. Goddamn Pingu.
Quote by xD3vourm3nTx
1 So what specs should I get with my MacBook pro when I order it
2 Should I try to mic my amp (line 6 spyder III) or should I use stuff like guitar rig
3 If I mic it, what's a mic that would be good for both micing an amp AND recording metal vocals
4 What kind of DAWs are out there that are affordable yet good for metal
5 What kind of guitar interface should I look at getting
6 What software should I use for drum programming metal drums? (blast beats, "clicky sounding triggerd bass drums, piercing crashes, popcorn snares, etc. )
7 How can I get bass drops or 808 sounds for breakdowns
8 What good monitors are out there?
9 If I do decide to go with direct input guitars, how can I get effects, or that high gain, fatty Mesa tone without it sounding like crap
10 WTF is asio or phantom power

This is copied from your previous thread.

1. Lots of memory, high processor speed and a decent hard drive.

2. Mic'ing ALWAYS sounds better than DI and plugins. You'll want a Shure SM57 for that. You can look on youtube and such for mic comparisons for recording distorted guitars, but the SM57 is the industry standard, it's good for everything.

3. Like I said, SM57. But with vocals you want a nice condenser mic, they're more expensive but they really shine with vocals and acoustic guitars. Shure SM7B is used a lot for metal vocals, but it's crazy expensive (over here in the UK at least, I'm not sure about US). If you're tight on budget, check out some of the Audio Technica mics. My old singer used one and got pretty good results.

4. Logic. If you're getting a mac, get Logic. It's exclusive to Mac and it kills me because its the friendliest DAW I've ever used and I can't afford a Mac.

5. For an interface in just your bedroom you don't need many inputs unless you actually will fit an entire drum rig in your room and mic it up. If it's too small and you use an electroc kit/programming, look at Alesis' 4 track USB mixer. I use that and it works grand. Firewire is a better route to go on though, higher data rate.

6. Steven Slate Drums provides so really good samples right out of the box all ready for mixing. They do "mega deals" every now and then and throw their software away for super cheap. I got my set (about 100 drumkits) for about £50. Superior Drummer Metal Foundry is one to look at aswell, it comes with presets but you can process the drums to however you like, but this can be frustrating if you're new to it.

7. That is something I've never had to do and as far as I'm aware, it's usually on the Alesis DM5 drum module (which is standard for metal bands using triggers). Try to find a sample online somewhere, or if you know someone with a DM5, ask them to come over and let you record a sample.

8. I use Alesis' M1Active monitors (I use a lot of Alesis gear.. I have next to no budget) and they're pretty decent, but I always end up mixing using my headphones.

9. Near impossible if you want pro sounding recording. I got lucky on my Corneria mix and ended up with a decent recording using just DI, but nearly every other recording attempt ended up with me unsatisfied. See Pokemon for bad sound (ew).

10. ASIO is what your DAW uses to route all incoming/outgoing audio. ASIO4ALL is a low-latency ASIO, but quite a bit of hassle. I use a generic low-latency ASIO included with Cubase. I really don't know if it effects tone.

Phantom Power is needed to power condenser mics or some DI boxes. Condenser mics are like active pickups, they needed extra juice to work. Phantom Power sends that juice down the XLR cable and powers it. My MXR Bass DI box also runs on Phantom Power (look into that or a Sansamp for bass recording, they f*cking rule).

Hope this helps
I'm trying to paste the link of this video but it's not working, but in the video it's saying how a Spider won't get you a great recorded sound. Amp sims sound much better in heavier music in my opinion so I would use those. Look into buying drum software like Addicitive Drums or Superior Drummer. Hope I helped a bit.

Edit: To guy above me.. Mic'd guitars don't always sound better.
Matthew 7:7 ""Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you."

Pop Punk! Check us out!: Flinch
Last edited by tr3nt at Oct 2, 2010,
Quote by tr3nt
I'm trying to paste the link of this video but it's not working, but in the video it's saying how a Spider won't get you a great recorded sound. Amp sims sound much better in heavier music in my opinion so I would use those. Look into buying drum software like Addicitive Drums or Superior Drummer. Hope I helped a bit.

I disagree. With some tweaking you can get a usable metalcore sound out of a Spider. Just don't crank the gain, find a good middle ground and it's fine.
Quote by Bearded_Seth
I disagree. With some tweaking you can get a usable metalcore sound out of a Spider. Just don't crank the gain, find a good middle ground and it's fine.

Alright well it's all preference and I'm giving him my opinion.

Just try both and see what sounds better.
Matthew 7:7 ""Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you."

Pop Punk! Check us out!: Flinch
Quote by xD3vourm3nTx
What's going on guys. I'm a utter complete noob with absolutely 0 experience with home recording.

Here's the scoop. I have about $2500 I want to drop on a recording studio in my room. Now I'm already going to spend about $1000 of that on a MacBook pro for this, which leaves me around about $1200-1300 (after taxes and whatever) to spend.

And now I need help.

I'm mainly going to be recording deathcore and metalcore. Im not looking for being able to record drums. I want to program them.

So where do I start? I already went to guitar center to window-shop and ask the ppl there for their help but I feel like I didn't get anywhere.

I mean I'm not trying to be able to produce "Joey sturgis quality" tracks but I don't want it to sound like an 8th grader with down syndrome tinkering with GarageBand either.

So what specs should I get with my MacBook pro when I order it
Should I try to mic my amp (line 6 spyder III) or should I use stuff like guitar rig
If I mic it, what's a mic that would be good for both micing an amp AND recording metal vocals
What kind of DAWs are out there that are affordable yet good for metal
What kind of guitar interface should I look at getting
What software should I use for drum programming metal drums? (blast beats, "clicky sounding triggerd bass drums, piercing crashes, popcorn snares, etc. )
How can I get bass drops or 808 sounds for breakdowns
What good monitors are out there?
If I do decide to go with direct input guitars, how can I get effects, or that high gain, fatty Mesa tone without it sounding like crap
WTF is asio or phantom power

I have all these questions and more. Please help. In fact honestly, if anyof you who know what your doing, I would actually love for you to pm me with your phone number so I could ask you these questions. I feel like a 10, 15 min phone conversation would be way better then a day or two of messaging back on forth would be.

Heres my take on this
In regards to the DAW, I don't think theres any specific DAW specially for metal, but i could be wrong. Any (quality) DAW you use could be find. Look into these : Cubase, Pro Tools, Reaper, Ableton, CakeWalk/Sonar.

For guitar interface, for the Budget, I would definitely recommend the POD X3. This thing is truly amazing, but If you don't want to spend that money, look into the Pod Studio UX1/UX2. But i would definitely go for the X3. Here is a friend of mine that records bands with ONLY a pod x3(all guitars(including bass), and tell me what you think about the quality this can give. http://www.myspace.com/bighitrecordings

Drum programming.... hmmmm theres a lot of good ones. Definitely Slate drums or a good thing to START OUT WITH would probably be ez drummer with that metal expansion pack thing.

For bass drops/808 you could probably find them online if you looked for it, but i also make my own so i could send you some if you need. I would just tell you to give me credit if you used them. plus, they're also copyrighted, so i wouldn't recommend trying to steal them.

Monitors are a HUGE topic. I posted this on another forum, and it 3 days, their were at least 72 posts back. If i find the link, i'll give it to you. But if you want some decent ones, and dont want to spend to much. Look into the KRK monitors, or M-Audio. But NEVER go cheap on monitors, because that will be the most important part in your mixing/mastering.

If you go direct input, get VST effects. Their you go.

Aiso and phantom have already been stated above so theres no need for me to repeat.

Hope this helps

Sk8a123
i think UG should have a sub forum to the gear ads... for like recording equipment. not just guitars and amps and that stuff