Metal head needs help with building home recording studio. Please please please help!

What's going on guys. I'm a utter complete noob with absolutely 0 experience with home recording.

Here's the scoop. I have about $2500 I want to drop on a recording studio in my room. Now I'm already going to spend about $1000 of that on a MacBook pro for this, which leaves me around about $1200-1300 (after taxes and whatever) to spend.

And now I need help.

I'm mainly going to be recording deathcore and metalcore. Im not looking for being able to record drums. I want to program them.

So where do I start? I already went to guitar center to window-shop and ask the ppl there for their help but I feel like I didn't get anywhere.

I mean I'm not trying to be able to produce "Joey sturgis quality" tracks but I don't want it to sound like an 8th grader with down syndrome tinkering with GarageBand either.

So what specs should I get with my MacBook pro when I order it
Should I try to mic my amp (line 6 spyder III) or should I use stuff like guitar rig
If I mic it, what's a mic that would be good for both micing an amp AND recording metal vocals
What kind of DAWs are out there that are affordable yet good for metal
What kind of guitar interface should I look at getting
What software should I use for drum programming metal drums? (blast beats, "clicky sounding triggerd bass drums, piercing crashes, popcorn snares, etc. )
How can I get bass drops or 808 sounds for breakdowns
What good monitors are out there?
If I do decide to go with direct input guitars, how can I get effects, or that high gain, fatty Mesa tone without it sounding like crap
WTF is asio or phantom power

I have all these questions and more. Please help. In fact honestly, if anyof you who know what your doing, I would actually love for you to pm me with your phone number so I could ask you these questions. I feel like a 10, 15 min phone conversation would be way better then a day or two of messaging back on forth would be.

Please anything helps. Thanks a lot!

Brian.
A dreamcatcher works, if your dream is to be gay.
-- Demetri Martin

Maryland Deathcore
Hang The Wench
I'd start by taking this thread to the Recording forum, perhaps.
Quote by Zeppelin71
Umm. . .uh. . .your mom touched sjones' dick. YOUR MOM TOUCHED OUR GUITARISTS GENITALS IN A CAMPER AT A BIKER FESTIVAL! truth.
Spending that much on recording gear then using a Spider is a complete waste of money.
Wait.

Roger Waters - 12th May!
Quote by Holy Katana
I lol'd at "what DAWs are good for metal."

Lol yeah that was kind of stupid I'm not sure why I said that. I dunno just like which ones do kids that record metal find most useful I guess is what I'm trying to say.
A dreamcatcher works, if your dream is to be gay.
-- Demetri Martin

Maryland Deathcore
Hang The Wench
Quote by xD3vourm3nTx
Lol yeah that was kind of stupid I'm not sure why I said that. I dunno just like which ones do kids that record metal find most useful I guess is what I'm trying to say.

They all do metal fine. That's why I was laughing. None of them really come with specifically "metal" plugins, so really, it's up to you. Just research the various DAWs and see which one has the features you like.
Joey Sturgis produces really terrible bands.

Say Kurt Ballou quality. Then you're actually making music.
Should I try to mic my amp (line 6 spyder III) or should I use stuff like guitar rig
Depends on the sound you're going for. If you want a tight, processed, "perfect" sound, plug it through modelling software, but if you want more natural sounds, mic up the amp.
If I mic it, what's a mic that would be good for both micing an amp AND recording metal vocals
Dynamics mics for amps, condensers for vocals. SM57 usually works well, or a Sennheiser(sp?) E609. You can get decent affordable condensers (AKG or Shure SM27) which need an ASIO interface usually, or you can go cheaper and get a direct USB one, but I'm always skeptical about their quality.
What kind of DAWs are out there that are affordable yet good for metal
There are no genre-specific DAWs, they all work the same in principle. Reaper is free and works fine, but if you want to spend moneys, get Cubase or Logic Pro
What kind of guitar interface should I look at getting
Line6 PODs are good for interface, UX1 I would recommend. If you get a general ASIO one they tend to be quite expensive.
What software should I use for drum programming metal drums? (blast beats, "clicky sounding triggerd bass drums, piercing crashes, popcorn snares, etc. )
Toontrack EZDrummer. You can upgrade from there to SuperiorDrummer and then onto the Metal Foundry Drumkit From Hell which is what I want, but will never afford.
How can I get bass drops or 808 sounds for breakdowns
Same place, just edit sounds
What good monitors are out there?
Behringer MS-20s. I used to own a pair, and they are beasts.
If I do decide to go with direct input guitars, how can I get effects, or that high gain, fatty Mesa tone without it sounding like crap
EQ, EQ, EQ, EQ and more EQ. Digital Modelling always will sound crap you've just got to learn how to edit it well.
WTF is asio or phantom power
ASIO stands for Audio Stream Input/Output and is literally just a latency reducing interface between the external hardware (guitar/amp/drums etc) and the computer's sound card.
Phantom power is usually a 9v supply which is sent out of a device which you plug a condenser microphone into (Preamp, Interface or mixing desk) which is required to power the diaphram in it. They won't work without it.

Take each question to the recording forum for more detail. I'm in a bit too much of a rush to type books of info here, and it still takes years to learn it all well.
dont waste time or money miking up a line 6 amp. instead, i would recomend one of the line 6 ux series. i would say the ux1 if its just you, or the ux2 if you want to record 2 people at once. if you pair that up with some good recording software like cubase, you will get an epic sound.on youtube theres a guy called ondskapens hersker, and thats what he uses along with the toontrack easy drummer, and he gets professional sound
Quote by rokkit
dont waste time or money miking up a line 6 amp. instead, i would recomend one of the line 6 ux series. i would say the ux1 if its just you, or the ux2 if you want to record 2 people at once. if you pair that up with some good recording software like cubase, you will get an epic sound.on youtube theres a guy called ondskapens hersker, and thats what he uses along with the toontrack easy drummer, and he gets professional sound

I agree.
Dump the MacBook Pro, get a decent USD600 notebook, spend the rest on a Peavey Vypyr 75/60 and a Sanpera pedal. Record using the USB interface.
OR
Buy an MFX pedal (like my RP500) and record direct. Some of the higher end ones, like the RP's and Vox Tonelab SE have really good amp models. Use it to record directly using the USB interface. You wont need to buy a preamp either. You get Cubase LE 4 free with most MFX pedals. Again, use EZ Drummer. Ive used it with reaper, and you can get truly awe inspiring sound if you know what you are doing.
get logic with the mac. It's brilliant
Also SkepsisMetal knows what he is talking about.
But I'd think about getting a better amp if you want to mic it
RIP Gooze

cats
I recommend Superior Drummer or Steven Slate Drums.

And if you're intending to use amp modelling, don't buy anything like Guitar Rig or Pod Farm, the free ones tend to be better IMO. Check out Acmebargig, Nick Crow and Lepou for heads (my favourites are Acmebargig's C-15 and Lepou's SoloC), Catharsis' awesometime cab impulses, and LePou's LeCab for loading them.

And I'd also suggest getting a sonic maximiser plugin, Acmebargig's Cab Enhancer, Acmebargig's LSHS corrective EQ, and Izotope Ozone. They all improve guitar sounds massively.

EDIT: Also, BTE Audio's "TS' Secret" is a good emulated overdrive pedal, and Nick Crow's preamp emulator is good at adding warmth to an emulated tone.
I'LL PUNCH A DONKEY IN THE STREETS OF GALWAY
Last edited by whalepudding at Oct 2, 2010,
Quote by Holy Katana
I lol'd at "what DAWs are good for metal."

I didn't even get that far, I got to 'shall I mic my Line 6 Spyder'

Quote by xD3vourm3nTx
Should I try to mic my amp (line 6 spyder III)

Lost you there. Doesn't matter how much money you pour into the equipment, it'll still sound like poo with that amp.
edgy meems only friendo :^)
Quote by xD3vourm3nTx

1 So what specs should I get with my MacBook pro when I order it

2 Should I try to mic my amp (line 6 spyder III) or should I use stuff like guitar rig

3 If I mic it, what's a mic that would be good for both micing an amp AND recording metal vocals

4 What kind of DAWs are out there that are affordable yet good for metal

5 What kind of guitar interface should I look at getting

6 What software should I use for drum programming metal drums? (blast beats, "clicky sounding triggerd bass drums, piercing crashes, popcorn snares, etc. )

7 How can I get bass drops or 808 sounds for breakdowns

8 What good monitors are out there?

9 If I do decide to go with direct input guitars, how can I get effects, or that high gain, fatty Mesa tone without it sounding like crap

10 WTF is asio or phantom power

1. Lots of memory, high processor speed and a decent hard drive.

2. Mic'ing ALWAYS sounds better than DI and plugins. You'll want a Shure SM57 for that. You can look on youtube and such for mic comparisons for recording distorted guitars, but the SM57 is the industry standard, it's good for everything.

3. Like I said, SM57. But with vocals you want a nice condenser mic, they're more expensive but they really shine with vocals and acoustic guitars. Shure SM7B is used a lot for metal vocals, but it's crazy expensive (over here in the UK at least, I'm not sure about US). If you're tight on budget, check out some of the Audio Technica mics. My old singer used one and got pretty good results.

4. Logic. If you're getting a mac, get Logic. It's exclusive to Mac and it kills me because its the friendliest DAW I've ever used and I can't afford a Mac.

5. For an interface in just your bedroom you don't need many inputs unless you actually will fit an entire drum rig in your room and mic it up. If it's too small and you use an electroc kit/programming, look at Alesis' 4 track USB mixer. I use that and it works grand. Firewire is a better route to go on though, higher data rate.

6. Steven Slate Drums provides so really good samples right out of the box all ready for mixing. They do "mega deals" every now and then and throw their software away for super cheap. I got my set (about 100 drumkits) for about £50. Superior Drummer Metal Foundry is one to look at aswell, it comes with presets but you can process the drums to however you like, but this can be frustrating if you're new to it.

7. That is something I've never had to do and as far as I'm aware, it's usually on the Alesis DM5 drum module (which is standard for metal bands using triggers). Try to find a sample online somewhere, or if you know someone with a DM5, ask them to come over and let you record a sample.

8. I use Alesis' M1Active monitors (I use a lot of Alesis gear.. I have next to no budget) and they're pretty decent, but I always end up mixing using my headphones.

9. Near impossible if you want pro sounding recording. I got lucky on my Corneria mix and ended up with a decent recording using just DI, but nearly every other recording attempt ended up with me unsatisfied. See Pokemon for bad sound (ew).

10. ASIO is what your DAW uses to route all incoming/outgoing audio. ASIO4ALL is a low-latency ASIO, but quite a bit of hassle. I use a generic low-latency ASIO included with Cubase. I really don't know if it effects tone.

Phantom Power is needed to power condenser mics or some DI boxes. Condenser mics are like active pickups, they needed extra juice to work. Phantom Power sends that juice down the XLR cable and powers it. My MXR Bass DI box also runs on Phantom Power (look into that or a Sansamp for bass recording, they f*cking rule).

Hope this helps