Hi guys, I'm in need of a little help here ! I started playing electric about year ago, out of curiosity, and I still really enjoy it. However I realize that often I don't wanna go play in my basement where my amp is, so I end playing with my semi-hollow unplugged.
So now I'm thinking of getting an acoustic for christmas, or whenever I get the money .

Anyways here are two guitars that I'm intested in:

http://www.thomann.de/fr/yamaha_fg_720s_obb.htm

http://www.thomann.de/fr/artlutherie_dreadnought_blue.htm

I know allmost nothing about acoustics except three things: From what I heard, I need a solid top to get a good sound. I don't need electronics since I don't have an acoustic amps, and it actually bothers me to play in basement. Since I would like to have a bit of low end, a big body is better for me.

Now you'll notice that both have blue finishes, and that's not a coincidence. While I don't necessarly need it to be blue, I generally don't like natural finishes, at least not in my price range (up to 330€ I'd say). I know I'll get flamed for chosing because of looks, but for me it's important and part of the pleasure of playing the instrument.

Anybody here has experience with these two guitars ? I would like to give them a try, but unfortunately I'm pretty I can't find any of these in my local stores which are all relatively small shops.
I'm mainly concerned about the action of these, if it's too high, then I think I'm gonna struggle, especially with the bigger gauge.

By the way, I prefer the second one because I think it looks better and it's supposed to be canadian made. On the other hand, I've allways heard good things about yamaha guitars, and it's a little bit cheaper...

Thanks for your help guys .
Yamaha SG 800
Tokai USG 118s
Hughes&Kettner Tube Meister
Jet City JCA12XS
Laney Cub 10
Electro Harmonix Big Muff pi (tone/wicker)
Boss CH-1 Super Chorus
Guild D 125 CE <3
in person the yamaha sounds better to me than the a&l, which sounds a very little muffled when i tried them - and i tried a lot of them. i'm surprised how it sounds in their recording, 'cause i've played more than 10 of them and none of them sounded that bright or had that much sustain but a lot will depend on what strings you use.

the yamaha would be my pick based on personal experience, but the a&l would be my pick based on the website recordings. perhaps they changed the strings, which can make a lot of difference. might as well get the one you like - they're not that far apart, honestly.
Last edited by patticake at Oct 2, 2010,
thank you guys . Anyone else has experience to share ?

I'm not really in a hurry since I don't have the money yet, and I ain't sure how I'll get it... so if I don't find a way before that, I'll have to wait till christmas.

I'll see if any of the local shops in my area have these models (I doubt it), or at laest models from the same brand, so I can see how the neck feels .

Also if anybody has an alternative to these two, let me know. If I like the finish, I'll consider it.
Yamaha SG 800
Tokai USG 118s
Hughes&Kettner Tube Meister
Jet City JCA12XS
Laney Cub 10
Electro Harmonix Big Muff pi (tone/wicker)
Boss CH-1 Super Chorus
Guild D 125 CE <3