To learn the main solo to Sweet Child 'O Mine? I've got the official sheet music for it, I've got a Guitar Pro tab so I can break it down and hear it properly. How long should it take me and how long did it take you if you know it? I've been playing 3 years and think I'm good enough to tackle it.
there are essentiall only 3 hard parts to the main solo:

the fast run at the as the solo goes from slow to fast. this takes quite a while to get perfect at the right speed so maybe 6 weeks to get that bit perfect.

the pattern up the scale near the end of the solo - this bits pretty easy oce you get your picking right for it, but again maybe 1 month at a reasonably speed and quality

the alternating lick at the very end - again not to hard

overall its quite an easy solo and sounds pretty awesome if youve got a wah pedal, and also on of my favourite and most enjoyable solos to play.

i reckon youll have it if you practice it heaps in 6 weeks. then again i dont know your skill level. this is just how long it took me.
Last edited by CreepingDeath13 at Oct 2, 2010,
Ive just learnt this and i've been playing about 2 years. It took me about 3/4 weeks too nail it 100%. when you learn it split it up and take it very slow.
bout a month.
Belief is a beautiful armour but makes for the heaviest sword.
just take it slow and you should be fine
GENERIC SIGNATURE
So I'm gunna learn it against a metronome, what speed do you guys reckon will be a good start? The original song is 122bpm
Honestly depends on how much you practice it (as Wisthekiller said), and how well you already play. Over time it will obviously get better, like everything you practice. But as long as you practice it frequently (even if it's for 5 minutes or so a day), you will gradually get better.
Quote by slash_GNR666
You sir, are a giant c*** and you finger will forever haunt my dreams.

Quote by Kind, Non-Existant User
Coco-Loco is the finest bit of meat on the butcher block.
Bit of a progress report if you like, since I made this thread, I've been learning the fast run into the main solo. I can play it off by heart and in time, just trying to get it up to speed now. I don't think this solo will take me too long. Maybe three weeks? I don't have school or a job so all my time is free time.
To be honest with you a solo shouldn't even take you a day to learn and if it does, you might be shooting a little high for your skill level. I say work on your technique overall with all of that free time you have. Then you can play whatever
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
To be honest with you a solo shouldn't even take you a day to learn and if it does, you might be shooting a little high for your skill level. I say work on your technique overall with all of that free time you have. Then you can play whatever

You can learn absolutely anything if you break it down and start slow. Get each bit perfect before you move on. That's going to do you a lot more good than learning Green Day solos haha. And learning the Sweet Child 'O Mine solo in a day?
It all depends on your skill level and how much time you put into practising. The more you practice, the quicker you will learn.

ron666
I've been playing for about 5 years and I got it down in an hour or so without any tabs... shouldn't be too hard for you. Theres only really one fast lick, the rest is more of a "feel".
Quote by pielover375
So last year, I put some potatoes in this jar and forgot about them. Today, I found them, and when I opened the jar, there is a puddle at the bottom and it smells like alcohol. If I drink this, do you think I will die, or have I made potato vodka?
Quote by BobDetroit
5 days 7 hours 23 minutes 12 seconds.

Wow, are you ever precise???

ron666