Page 1 of 3
Yo everyone,well ive always heard how totally epic and br00talz opeth is and ive been wanting to listen to them to see if i like em.Im a HUGE Porcupine Tree (and of death metal,black metal etc.) so of course i loved dammnation and watershed alot but i listened to still life and didnt like it much and ghost reveries didnt do it for me (though i didnt listen to the whole album and i wasnt paying much attention so i might re-listen to it).

So wat albums of opeth would u reccomend to someone wanting to get into Opeth?
Quote by JacobTheMe
One time I saw a flower and said "Thats pretty."

My dad responded "Pretty gay..."

The Thread

|
|
|
|
|
V
lstfm

I'm a Nazi, baby
I'm a Nazi, yes I am
I'm a Nazi schatzi, you know I'll fight for the Fatherland
Last edited by The Wildchild at Oct 2, 2010,
Quote by Havoc69
Yo everyone,well ive always heard how totally epic and br00talz opeth is and ive been wanting to listen to them to see if i like em.Im a HUGE Porcupine Tree (and of death metal,black metal etc.) so of course i loved dammnation and watershed alot but i listened to still life and didnt like it much and ghost reveries didnt do it for me (though i didnt listen to the whole album and i wasnt paying much attention so i might re-listen to it).

So wat albums of opeth would u reccomend to someone wanting to get into Opeth?

You are a huge Porcupine Tree?

interesting.
Quote by Deplorable

interesting.

Good catch
| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ
Blackwater Park or Still Life will most likely be the best to start on.

But there is a rec thread at the top of the page so go there if you have any further questions.
and I don't care if I live or die,
because I ain't ever going to no other side,
there ain't no heaven and there ain't no hell,
but I am a sinner so it's all just as well
Quote by Havoc69
Yo everyone,well ive always heard how totally epic and br00talz opeth is

I see.

Well, if you want to keep listening to this fag shit Opeth (or rather, O-pff), go right ahead.
Real metal fans listen to actual metal though, so off you go.
Dyer's Eve is awesome, and has an abnormally large penis, which doesn't act as any hinderance to his everyday life despite its freakishly large size.
For unrivaled obedience, user King_ofKumbucha is awarded this spot of honor.
Quote by Deplorable

interesting.

Lolz yeah evolution and what not

Im also a huge fan of the band.Steven Wilson is God.
Quote by JacobTheMe

Blackwater Park is a great album, my favorite (and IMO their heaviest) is Deliverance. My Arms, Your Hearse and Orchid are good too. It really depends what type of Opeth you're looking for, Damnation is the softest Opeth album, recorded the same time as Deliverance, they had so much material they split it to a heavy album and a soft album. Definitely give Ghost Reveries a full listen... and pay attention lol
Gear:
Epiphone Explorer (Lucy)
Jay Turser Les Paul
1986 B.C. Rich Mockingbird N.J. Series w/Kahler Flyer Trem
Squier Strat
Washburn Lyon Acoustic
Charvel Bass
Fender Frontman 212
Dunlop Original Cry Baby
Deffinitely Blackwater park then as Steven produced it and does some back-up singing on it.
and I don't care if I live or die,
because I ain't ever going to no other side,
there ain't no heaven and there ain't no hell,
but I am a sinner so it's all just as well
Quote by OOgly bOObly
Blackwater Park or Still Life will most likely be the best to start on.

But there is a rec thread at the top of the page so go there if you have any further questions.

Hmm maybe ill start with blackwater park then

Also sorry i just thought the reccomendation thread was only for songs from artists of a certain genre not everything metaL-.-
Quote by JacobTheMe

Quote by dead-fish
I see.

Well, if you want to keep listening to this fag shit Opeth (or rather, O-pff), go right ahead.

Not real metal?

Because they dont prance about in chains and dont swear at their fans?

Maybe we can convince them to start playing BC Rich, would that help?
Quote by Ultragoose
Not real metal?

Because they dont prance about in chains and dont swear at their fans?

Maybe we can convince them to start playing BC Rich, would that help?

As silly a bear was deady was being, you are a lot sillier
Quote by justinb904
im more of a social godzilla than chameleon

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Alright, I'll give them a try, Japanese Black Speed rarely disappoints.

Quote by azzemojo
Hmm judging from your pic you'd fit in more with a fat busted tribute.
Since you have already listened to watershed, the next I would suggest is blackwater park, it has tonnes of great songs on it, most of which are instantly catchy and memorable.

You should try to listen to all of them though, each album is quite different sounding. I'm not that into their first few albums, they are pretty stylistically different, but still worth listening to.

Oh, and because opeth are a bit more reserved in some sections than most death metal bands and the fact that they are more tonally and dynamically variant means that they are not true metal?

People like you are a disgrace and are what make people think that metal fans are freaks. The point about metal isn't the brutality, it's just that metal bands can use that very well when they want to. I wish there were more bands like opeth with more refreshing and varied sounding music which sounds like they've actually put consideration into the sound of each part of the song, instead of just thinking "hmm, let's make this bit brutal, oh, and this part too...."
Last edited by Jamma at Oct 2, 2010,
Quote by Deplorable

interesting.

Hahaha....made me spit tea all over the laptop.
Quote by Ultraussie
I want to try that while playing the opening riff to "Tempting Time".

0-0-0-13-0-0-0-0-13 or something like that alalalala but It;s so heavy and off time and awesome and you could not f**k anyone to it.

Quote by Ingested
burzum IS nazi. well, varg is.
Ya know, because I only want brutality in bands, that's the only thing that matters to me.

Opeth just don't cut the mustard I'm afraid, a 3 on the brootometer.
Quote by Stranglehold
Hahaha....made me spit tea all over the laptop.

whiskey laced or you're not kvlt anymore
lstfm

I'm a Nazi, baby
I'm a Nazi, yes I am
Dumbass? Ok im thinking...

They play metal... really well, call themselves a death metal band, and given that metal is one of the only certainties with Opeth, im missing your point.

Pray tell.
If Train calls themselves a black metal band, are they a black metal band?
lstfm

I'm a Nazi, baby
I'm a Nazi, yes I am
Quote by Ultragoose
Dumbass? Ok im thinking...

They play metal... really well, call themselves a death metal band, and given that metal is one of the only certainties with Opeth, im missing your point.

Pray tell.

Exactly how are they metal?
Dyer's Eve is awesome, and has an abnormally large penis, which doesn't act as any hinderance to his everyday life despite its freakishly large size.
Quote by dead-fish
I see.

Your probably from the states, im assuming?
I'm from Finland, we know metal. We spawn more real metal bands (along with our brothers in Sweden) than America ever will. We definitely consider Opeth real metal here. The fact that they are one of the most important progressive metal bands of all time is really not even debatable, despite if a person likes them or not.

Really you should be the one getting out of this Conversation.

To the Original, id say if you dont like the albums you have already tried, you really may just not like they band, as they are both good albums. Try "In Mourning" and their new album Monolith. They are a wonderful Swedish melodic death metal band in the same vein as Opeth.
Microsoft Works...there's and oxymoron for you.
Quote by The Wildchild

Only if the train is a black metal band.

It's cool, avoid reason and think of yourself as funny.
Quote by Jamma

Oh, and because opeth are a bit more reserved in some sections than most death metal bands and the fact that they are more tonally and dynamically variant means that they are not true metal?

People like you are a disgrace and are what make people think that metal fans are freaks. The point about metal isn't the brutality, it's just that metal bands can use that very well when they want to. I wish there were more bands like opeth with more refreshing and varied sounding music which sounds like they've actually put consideration into the sound of each part of the song, instead of just thinking "hmm, let's make this bit brutal, oh, and this part too...."

Lots of cookies for you, I agree entirely.
As a metal fan I am embarrassed to be associated with people like him, who are elitists and close-minded pricks that won't listen to any other "fAg sHit" other than their brootalz.

Go die.
Quote by eetfuk58
I'm from Finland, we know metal. We spawn more real metal bands (along with our brothers in Sweden) than America ever will. We definitely consider Opeth real metal here. The fact that they are one of the most important progressive metal bands of all time is really not even debatable, despite if a person likes them or not.

Really you should be the one getting out of this Conversation.

To the Original, id say if you dont like the albums you have already tried, you really may just not like they band, as they are both good albums. Try "In Mourning" and their new album Monolith. They are a wonderful Swedish melodic death metal band in the same vein as Opeth.

yep tr00 finnish metal mate

TRY RECOMMENDING MOTHERFUCKING BEHERIT NEXT TIME OK?!
lstfm

I'm a Nazi, baby
I'm a Nazi, yes I am
Last edited by The Wildchild at Oct 2, 2010,
Quote by eetfuk58

Yeah? Well, I'm jewish, and I rule the media, and I can decide what's metal and what isn't, because the music industry is part of said media, which I rule.

So nyah.
Quote by The Wildchild

More so than if they don't.
Up The Boro!
Quote by Vitor_vdp
Is this dead-fish for real? Do you have ANY idea how much of a dumbass you sound like?

Funny you should only attack me, seeing as Mr. Finnish Metal Connoisseur before me acted pretty much exactly the same.

Do you have something against me specifically?
Quote by dead-fish
Funny you should only attack me, seeing as Mr. Finnish Metal Connoisseur before me acted pretty much exactly the same.

Do you have something against me specifically?

Isn't it obvious, you said you're from Israel...
I said no such thing, I merely mentioned my heritage!

We get circumcised without choice! DON'T WE SUFFER ENOUGH?!
Page 1 of 3