I was thinking to myself, why does the human fear of things even when they are the most rational thing he can do? Why doesn't he treat it in an everyday matter?

I was wondering about this issue, if anybody had any information about this because this subject really fascinates me. You know, it's one of those moments where you really think to yourself why the hell it happens..

Why do people fear flying, when the chances that your plain will crash are much lower than winning the lottery?

Why do people fear change, personality change or any other radical change that will probably put them at a much better place?

Why do people fear expressing themselves, fear of people opinions when they will just pass away and have nothing to do with you?

Why do people fear stranger's opinion, why do people fear approaching to a girl you don't know, why don't people talk to strangers... if you'll probably NEVER see them again?

One of those things that makes you think... y'know.
Because it's better for us to err on the side of irrational fear than irrational fearlessness. Being scared shitless of a potato has less severe consequences than not giving a shit about the axe murderer behind you.
I'LL PUNCH A DONKEY IN THE STREETS OF GALWAY
Quote by whalepudding
Because it's better for us to err on the side of irrational fear than irrational fearlessness. Being scared shitless of a potato has less severe consequences than not giving a shit about the axe murderer behind you.

Yeah I'm not talking about that axe murderer behind you(Even in that situation fear is bad, you'd do much better in a calm state rather than being a deer caught in the headlights), I'm talking about completely irrational fears that generally have no explanation and no reason to exist in the first place.
i agree pretty interesting stuff

people are afraid of flying because they hear about plane crashes and stuff and thats all thats all their fear is based on and they don't realize the odds of something like that happening

theres somethin in psych that refers to people being a lot more comfortable with things they know even if its something bad. because they know how to deal with it so people are afraid when something is different

for the other two i have no idea, its kind of a subconcious thing for me, i know its irrational but i do anyway.
sig-less
You've missed my point. Being scared of a few harmless things is safer than not being scared of dangerous things, so presumably we've evolved to be more fearful than is necessary.
I'LL PUNCH A DONKEY IN THE STREETS OF GALWAY
Irrational*

And it's part of being human. That's like asking why we feel happiness or sadness. Or why we can't fly.

...Kinda.
You're = You are
Your = Belongs to you

There = Not here
Their = Belongs to them
They're = They are
Thx.

Quote by Tim the Rocker
Good grammar is like sex. It feels good.
Because the fact of the matter is, everyone wants to be the same as everyone else, to fit in and not stand out. It's just human nature... humans want to survive, it's natural instinct... for example if girls like certain types of guys, who dress a certain way, other guys will follow as that is the best way to attract their "attention"... or some shit like that... I don't actually know...
Check out my fitness blog here
Indeed it's human nature. Question is, we have sent people to space, we have developed means of destroying countries with one click of a button and we have also researched the human soul and we have means of analysis and research of the human soul.

But we haven't really developed any means of treating the fear that caused us so many trouble. While fear of death and other rational fears are quite important, paranoia and irrational fears have cost us a lot, they caused wars and they cost us a lot in our everyday life.
Quote by Fivebretz
My girlfriend has a fear of "invisible germs" that she herself freely admits is irrational and stupid but she's still a total slave to it.

Whenever we go "outside", we have to do a full wash of any clothes we're wearing. Once I walked into the hall in pyjamas to pick up the post, literally two steps outside, and she practically burned them.

She sees Cats and Dogs as walking fleabombs, even though I try and tell her cats are cleanly as f***, and would be insulted if she knew what she thought of them.

Hahahahaaha!

Quote by Fivebretz

So my life is now enslaved by "imaginary, invisible germs", because she's hot so I just play along with her now

Check out my fitness blog here
Last edited by maiden_man_666 at Oct 2, 2010,