So i have been playing acoustic for awhile and have been saving up to buy my first electric. I am going to buy it in the next month, I am going to be playing classic rock and blues rock with this guitar, I cant decide between American Ash Deluxe telecaster or a Gibson Les Paul the telecaster is obviously a cheaper around $1,800 vs the $2,500 for the Gibson. What guitar do you guys think is better for someone who is trying to get Black keys, Led Zeppelin type sounds? Also I need a good amp in the $500-$1000 prince range I've been looking at The fender blues deluxe and the Vox AC30 any opinions on these amps or other suggestions in that price range would be awesome .
The les paul would serve you better, but it's a matter of own preference.
On the other hand, don't you think it's better to buy a mid ranged guitar instead of splurging
your money on a high end prodcut? If you're not in a band or not recording frequently I'd say it's not worth the money.
They're both excellent amps. For classic rock, I'd go with a Les Paul. You don't see that many classic rockers with Tele's do you? But there are more than I can name with Les Paul's. Obviously because that guitar suits that music better than any other guitar really.
How about a Gibson ES-335? Not a new one, but vintage. Your price range is right in there for a vintage 70s ES-335. Check 'em out. There are several YouTube videos with these guitars and the sound is absolutely to die for.
I dont have much/any experience with the gear youve named, but just a quick point - id flip your budget if i were you. Spend $2000 on the amp and $1000 on the guitar.

Roughly 70% of your tone comes from the amp.
Guitars
Ibanez RG350MYE
Yamaha Pacifica 012
Tanglewood Evo Exotic TSF CE XFM

Amps
Vox Night Train w/ V112NT
Vox Valvetronix VT30

GAS List
MIA Strat
Schecter Blackjack ATX C-7
Diezel VH4

"Negative, I am a meat popsicle"
For classic rock, you should go with the Les Paul. Or you could get an Epiphone Les Paul for ~$600 (Mine was £379 GBP). If you got that, you'd have a brilliant instrument for alot cheaper and you'd have alot of money left over for a nice amp, effects or mods on the guitar (e.g. sustainer, new pickups, tremolo)
Quote by blazing riff
The les paul would serve you better, but it's a matter of own preference.
On the other hand, don't you think it's better to buy a mid ranged guitar instead of splurging
your money on a high end prodcut? If you're not in a band or not recording frequently I'd say it's not worth the money.

Do you have a good Les Paul at a lower price range? I can afford the high end guitar without it putting a huge dent in my bank account and it would kind of bother me to by a mid range guitar to only end up buying the high end and be out the money I spent on the mid range. Also I should have mentioned I am more than willing to buy used if I find the right guitar.
And for amps, a Vintage Marshall or one of the vintage series amps. The JCM900 looks quite nice tbh. Or a Diezel VH-4 or Hayden MoFo
Quote by leg end
They're both excellent amps. For classic rock, I'd go with a Les Paul. You don't see that many classic rockers with Tele's do you? But there are more than I can name with Les Paul's. Obviously because that guitar suits that music better than any other guitar really.

Well actually alot of classic rock players used teles. Jimmy Page my favorite gutarist used both obviously he used the les Paul more the only thing holding me back from the Gibson other then the higher price is the QC problems I keep reading about on these forums.
i would go with the les paul, but i kinda love les paul guitars since i was born, so it might be kind of subjective, its your call.
Objective advice: go and try both, they sound completely different, an as for the styles youre playing, i've seen guitar players in those styles with both of them, so try out and get the one youre most confortable with ^^
Quote by ddollar
Well actually alot of classic rock players used teles. Jimmy Page my favorite gutarist used both obviously he used the les Paul more the only thing holding me back from the Gibson other then the higher price is the QC problems I keep reading about on these forums.

I've never played a Gibson, it's my policy not to play guitars I can't afford . My advice here is play as many as you can. If QC is an issue (I think it should always be treated as an issue no matter the brand) you'll find a good one. I do think a Les Paul would be better for you but play them both and see!
Try a PRS McCarty. It's kinda the best of both worlds.

Just throwing that out there. Good luck.
There are a lot of Les Paul models that cost way less than that.
http://www.thomann.de/ie/gibson_lp_studio_50s_tribute_p90_sw.htm
http://www.thomann.de/ie/gibson_les_paul_studio_raw_power_sych.htm
http://www.thomann.de/ie/gibson_gary_moore_les_paul_bfg.htm
http://www.thomann.de/ie/gibson_les_paul_stand_trad_pro_eb.htm
Same goes for Telecasters but a Les Paul will suit the styles a bit better.
What is the amp for? Home, gigging or what?
Your fender is a bit small for gigging but may be a bit too much for home.
For gigging you could look at the Blackstar Club 40 as well.
Home, why not the Blackstar HT-5?
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

Quote by barfrog
I dont have much/any experience with the gear youve named, but just a quick point - id flip your budget if i were you. Spend $2000 on the amp and $1000 on the guitar.

Roughly 70% of your tone comes from the amp.

Absolutely this.
Quote by Helicopters!
Absolutely this.

i used to agree with this.

i don't anymore.

it's true moreso at the lower levels imo. like when it's 500 for a guitar and 200 for an amp. then yea, flip that around.

but when you are at 1000 and 2000, not so much really. there are a lot of amps that are great for starters under 1000 on the used market. that have great tones, not good, great imo.

and at the 1000-2000 level in guitars, there is a vast difference in quality. that's generally what separates the MIK/MIC(im lookin at you epiphone)/MIJ stuff from the USA and EURO builders.

I'd take a PRS and a 5e3 clone to a blues or rock gig over a new standard strat and a vibroking, but that's me. and that's just one example.

not trying to be contradictory to the trends we see here, not even calling it a bandwagon because at some price points is correct. but at the levels we are talking, i think more on the fiddle isn't a bad idea.

*flameshield up*
Gibson Les Paul and Marshall. /thread
Bhaok

The following statement is true. The proceeding statement is false.
i would play them both...in the end buy the one you think feels nicer because imo thats he most important thing
If you want an amp that will last you a very long time seriously look at going up a couple of hundred and buying an axe effects, that way you don't need to but new amps for new tones
Quote by Lurcher
There are a lot of Les Paul models that cost way less than that.
http://www.thomann.de/ie/gibson_lp_studio_50s_tribute_p90_sw.htm
http://www.thomann.de/ie/gibson_les_paul_studio_raw_power_sych.htm
http://www.thomann.de/ie/gibson_gary_moore_les_paul_bfg.htm
http://www.thomann.de/ie/gibson_les_paul_stand_trad_pro_eb.htm
Same goes for Telecasters but a Les Paul will suit the styles a bit better.
What is the amp for? Home, gigging or what?
Your fender is a bit small for gigging but may be a bit too much for home.
For gigging you could look at the Blackstar Club 40 as well.
Home, why not the Blackstar HT-5?

But how much quality am I losing on these cheaper models there definitely not as flashy but sound wise how much of a difference, and I think your getting the blues deluxe mixed up with the blues Jr the deluxe is 40watts while the junior is only 15watts
that's a lot of money if you don't know whether you'd rather have a tele or a LP. Unlike a lot of people here, I have no problem with beginners spending a fair amount of money on an instrument, but you do kinda have to know what you want.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by gregs1020
i used to agree with this.

i don't anymore.

it's true moreso at the lower levels imo. like when it's 500 for a guitar and 200 for an amp. then yea, flip that around.

but when you are at 1000 and 2000, not so much really. there are a lot of amps that are great for starters under 1000 on the used market. that have great tones, not good, great imo.

and at the 1000-2000 level in guitars, there is a vast difference in quality. that's generally what separates the MIK/MIC(im lookin at you epiphone)/MIJ stuff from the USA and EURO builders.

I'd take a PRS and a 5e3 clone to a blues or rock gig over a new standard strat and a vibroking, but that's me. and that's just one example.

not trying to be contradictory to the trends we see here, not even calling it a bandwagon because at some price points is correct. but at the levels we are talking, i think more on the fiddle isn't a bad idea.

*flameshield up*

+1

especially, it has changed a bit, because in the last while a swathe of cheap, decent quality valve amps have appeared- you don't necessarily have to spend $2k now to get an even passable high gain tube amp any more.

And if you're not playing high gain stuff, there are a lot of nice lower gain tube amps for not very much. They're not as nice as the really boutique stuff, but they're good enough, especially if they're the difference between your affording, say, a squier or a tyler.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
that's a lot of money if you don't know whether you'd rather have a tele or a LP. Unlike a lot of people here, I have no problem with beginners spending a fair amount of money on an instrument, but you do kinda have to know what you want.

I felt like its a pretty fair question both guitars are used extensively in the genres I am playing in just wanted some opinions.
try a mccarty dammit.

j/k try every guitar you can with that budget, don't limit yourself to fender or gibson by any means. there are plenty of other arguably "higher" end manufacturers out there. Suhr, Anderson, PRS, Carvin (yea h8ers dem rawk) etc.

again good luck in your search.
Well, you could get a Studio Les Paul, an American Standard Tele, and a decent amp for what you're willing to put out. Just try both, and if you don't like one, sell it.
Just my opinion. Might sound stupid to some people, but that's probably what I'd do...
Main Gear:
Epi Les Paul Ultra II
Bastard Telecaster
Pignose Legendary 7-100

Manga I'm reading!!!
Bleach, OP, Naruto, GE, Rosario+Vampire, Soul Eater, Kyou Kara Ore Wa, Kimi No Iru Machi, HSD Kenichi, and many more!!!
Quote by ddollar
I felt like its a pretty fair question both guitars are used extensively in the genres I am playing in just wanted some opinions.

oh sure, I didn't mean it wasn't, I just meant they're pretty different guitars, and odds are once you try one you'll immediately know.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Get the Telecaster.
The Les Paul does sound nice, but the Tele does alot of good for your budget and playability.
Two of my friends have each one, and they prefer the Telecaster to the Les Paul.
It's up to you what you get.