Hi fellas.
I have been playing electric guitar since April 2009. I'm into thrash/heavy metal and have been mostly playing Metallica (a lot!), Megadeth, Iron Maiden, etc etc, and little bits of Slayer, Kreator, Children of Bodom, etc etc.
To give you guys an idea of my current level of expertise, I can perfectly play the rhythm tracks of: Disposable Heroes, Battery, Welcome Home Sanitarium, Holier Than Thou, Jump In The Fire, Whiplash, etc etc. Haven't tackled the solos yet for these songs, but for Fade to Black (I can do both guitars, rhythm and lead).
Anyway, I know how to play Master of Puppets (except Kirk's solo), but the super-downpicking and fast tempo is just not coming to me. Sometimes when I'm super-warmed up it's easy to play MOP but that's a rarity. I've been into this song for like several months and really want to master this song. I know that picking speed will get better the more I play, but I want to hear from beginners/people who have mastered this song's tempo perfectly (from scratch). How long will it take to get the practical aspect of this song under my belt? Should I try anything specific to help me with playing MOP perfectly?
Thanks.
just my thoughts, but you shouldn't base how long it should take to learn a song from other people's experiences. everyone learns different and since you've only been playing a couple years it will probably take you a good deal longer than someone who has been playing metallica tunes since motp came out...1986 right?

keep it up though. start slowwwww. speed will come as long as you keep at it and focus on playing things right. it sounds like you've got a really good start and if you practice it every day it will come faster than you'd imagine.
I've been playing for as long as you have and can get the tempo perfectly. But that is probably because I prefer downpicking and use it whenever possible so I'm quite good at doing it fast, baisically Johnny Ramone is my hero
Quote by kacper_j
I've been playing for as long as you have and can get the tempo perfectly. But that is probably because I prefer downpicking and use it whenever possible so I'm quite good at doing it fast, baisically Johnny Ramone is my hero

Bah! Good for you then!
Start slow,then speed it up.The tritone riff(the bit after the intro) is the hardest bit to play IMO.If you get that then the rest should follow.It took me a long time to learn the song.I STILL cant play the interlude(the clean bit).
Quote by darkmetalhead
The tritone riff(the bit after the intro) is the hardest bit to play IMO.

Yup. Agreed.

Guys, I do use a metronome. I can play the riffs I find the hardest (intro, the said tritone riff, the verse riff, then the 00-13-00-13-00. 13-00, etc etc near the end) at 150 bpm perfectly. Always practicing at these speeds these days.
hey, i have been playing only a couple months longer than you have and tbh, i think downpicking and MOP is my strong point :P

I have been playing it in a band lately and the hardest part is endurance now, so i think your best bet is just to play it. Downpicking seems to became a physical activity moreso than a skill (Apart from keep your movement very refined) so like other physical activities your best bet is to train it, like you would with running or something. This just means play with the song on the fast bits, or if speed is your initial problem, try just sit down and just downpick as fast as you can, untill you can easily pick fast enough (may take a while as this is muscle training).

At this point endurance is HELL for this song..... lol. And once again practise is the best way to get better, so just play along with the song, or for more extreme practise play with their live performances on youtube =P Its good fun.

So yer, its just muscle training for your pick hand to withstand that much quick movement, so good luck.
I've got the whole song down (save for Kirk's solo) - it's not that hard really. The 1-7-8 bit at the start is probably the hardest bit in the song. In terms of time playing, I only got into metallica after I'd been playing for a few years, and had reasonable chops from playing led zep stuff. I'd say that it took me a few days to get it pretty close to perfect.
Marshall amplifiers are the truest purveyors of rock and roll known to man.

"And give a man an amplifier and a synthesizer, and he doesn't become whoever, you know. He doesn't become us."

Holy crap, check this out!
Guys, do all of you have to warm-up really well before playing this song? Or can you play it perfect straight just after picking up the guitar?

Sometimes when I play Disposable Heroes, or Battery, or Iron Maiden's 'The Prisoner' or 'The Evil That Men Do', or something that really challenges my picking hand, I find it easy to play MOP right after. Then my picking hand does not tense up, and there's no pressure. But like only half an hour later, after playing other stuff, when I try to play and see if I can play the song perfectly again, it's back to square one: It's tough again!

Once my picking speed (specifically down-picking) speed gets better, will I be able to play the song EVERYTIME CONSISTENTLY?
Quote by zuhairreza
Guys, do all of you have to warm-up really well before playing this song? Or can you play it perfect straight just after picking up the guitar?

I usually play a few songs beforehand,but they are easier riffwise when compared to MOP.Usually il play That Was Just Your Life AFTER MOP.And TWJYL is easier.lol
I've been playing 3 months and I can play it...

And those rhythm tracks are pretty easy.
Quote by Athabasca
My ex did the same. Cheated on me and then acted like I'd given her sister a facial. Women are retarded.
There's no certain place you should be at a certain time. Everyone learns differently and at different speeds. Just take it slow practice.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
Quote by Snowman388

I honestly doubt that dude, and I know it is physically impossible for your hands and fingers to be trained and developed to play MOP in three months... Unless of course you don't do anything else in life but to play guitar 24/7 for three months, which is also posible...
Last edited by Windex1108 at Oct 2, 2010,
Quote by Windex1108
I honestly doubt that dude, and I know it is physically impossible for your hands and fingers to be trained and developed to play MOP in three months... Unless of course you don't do anything else in life but to play guitar 24/7 for three months, which is also posible...

HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think he meant that he was playing Master of Puppets for 3 months. Maybe he plays guitar for a long time?
Quote by zuhairreza

I think he meant that he was playing Master of Puppets for 3 months. Maybe he plays guitar for a long time?

I doubt it. It sounds like he's actually been playing guitar for 3 months.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
Quote by Snowman388

I highly, highly doubt it.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
+1 to highly doubt and it will take as long as it takes.

I suppose you know even Tallica warm up extensively before their gigs? Warming up is a good idea in general and in this particular case.
How long will it take to get the practical aspect of this song under my belt?

Depends how much you practice, but you can't just practice that and neglect the other aspects of your playing.

Should I try anything specific to help me with playing MOP perfectly?

I'd say forget about that song for now, work on the technique needed with some slightly easier (for your ability) songs/licks/riffs. Always use a metronome. Come back to it later and i'll be betting you'll be a lot better at it.
Quote by zuhairreza

I mean the rhythm part. The solo I can't play, obviously.
Quote by Athabasca
My ex did the same. Cheated on me and then acted like I'd given her sister a facial. Women are retarded.
if its any consolation, i have been playing nearly 4 yrs....cant play wonderwall