I need your help!!
I'm finally making the switch from Solid State to Tubed amps. My Ibanez TB100H crapped out on me the other day so I'm looking for a new Tubed amp. For my price range the best seems to be the Bugera 333XL or 6262.
I play mainly metalcore/deathcore. I'm in a band and we are like Trivium meets Whitechapel meets As Blood Runs Black.
I'm wondering what amp is better for that style. I mainly use hi-gain (lead) channel, and the clean a little. I'm wondering if one is more reliable then the other? and If the built in Noise Gate on the 333XL is any good.
Let me know, Thanks!
I'd suggest the 333.
The 333 is a JSX copy, while the 6262 is a 6505+ copy. Taking that into account, I suggest the 333. it has more bottom end, whereas the 6262 has a sharper mid-chunk heavy sound.
Try both of them out.
Take whatever suits your needs better.
No, the noise gate is useless from what I have heard.
Thay are about as reliable as each other. Which migh be either decent or crap.
Alright thanks. I was leaning more towards the 333XL also. Seems better for my style of music, but alot of people say the 6262 because bands use the 6505+ alot.
I have a 6262 I love it, I've done some sound samples on my profile and there's some covers using the 6262 with a SM57 mic, so the quality is alright, the playing isn't the best though.
Quote by elleild
the 333 is a rectifier copy i believe, i would go with that one

what no its a JSX copy. Actually isnt the 333 the XXX copy and 333xl the JSX copy?

The tri rec is a dual rec copy.
Quote by MatrixClaw
anyway, i must be off, my gf says we gotta go cause i poked her and now she's bleeding

Quote by BobDetroit
The real question is why the **** are you talking to your mom about a Mesa?What the hell did you think she was going to say?"No dear, I prefer Dual Rec tone?!"
The thing I heard about the 333XL is it has good low ends, which is what I love. And the 6262 is more mids and high end.
i would go for the 6262
it has realy good low end but it is quite middy amp, lots of chunkyness
Gear:

Jackson DKMG pro
Schecter omen exreme 7
Tanglewood Che Guivara mk.1
Brunswick electro acoustic

peavey 412ms
some rack stuff
Can the 6262 get a good Dual Rect. tone? I want something along those lines. I heard the 333XL sounds pretty close to it. and Something that won't have a crap load of fuzz and feedback when at higher volumes.
Quote by beforethethrone
Can the 6262 get a good Dual Rect. tone? I want something along those lines. I heard the 333XL sounds pretty close to it. and Something that won't have a crap load of fuzz and feedback when at higher volumes.

Its a 120W tube head. Byt the time it reaches the stage where you get fuzziness, you will be dead.
Quote by GS LEAD 5
Its a 120W tube head. Byt the time it reaches the stage where you get fuzziness, you will be dead.

Haha, so true. With my Ibanez head I had to crank it to about 6 just for practice over drums and feedback was a bitch.
Haha thanks for the help guys. I'm thinking I'm going to go for the 333. I'll let ya know what happens haha.
333XL for more versatility although it can still do teh br00tz amazingly. The 6262 will probably suit better for the bands you listen though.
Gear
Bugera 6262 Head
Harley Benton G212 Vintage
Ibanez RGA 121 Prestige
ESP LTD DJ600
Fender USA Stratecaster
Maxon O808
TC Electronic Flashback Delay
ISP Decimator
MXR 10 Band EQ
Boss T-U3 Tuner Pedal
All of the bands you listed use/used 5150's/6505's early in their career (before they could afford the insane rigs they have now).
I second the guy who said to find a used 5150/6505. That way you'd literally have the same amp that most of your influences have used.

I guess just to validate myself:
Whitechapel used a 5150 mixed with a Mesa Mark IV and a Soldano Avenger on This Is Exile. They used a 5150 for EVERY TONE on A New Era Of Corruption.
Trivium used 5150's on Ascendancy; and considering they record with Jason Seucof most of the time, they probably have used a 5150 on every album.
As Blood Runs Black uses 6505's live.
Washburn HM Idol w/ SD JB in bridge > Ibanez Weeping Demon > Korg Pitchblack > Digitech Bad Monkey > Boss NS-2 > Boss DD-6 > Egnater Renegade > Splawn 2x12 w/ Weber Sig12Bs

as has been said, lots of bands in that style use the 6505, and the 6262 is based off of it, so it should work well for that osund
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Quote by GS LEAD 5
On another topic....the Bugera Tri Rec is a recto copy?
(begins to drool)
EDIT: Never mind. Its USD800....I cant spend a cent over 650.

yea i dont think it even out yet so who knows the price might fluctuate. Plus if it turns out to be good you can always waits a couple of months and look at the used market. I pretty sure it will be under 650$
Quote by MatrixClaw
anyway, i must be off, my gf says we gotta go cause i poked her and now she's bleeding

Quote by BobDetroit
The real question is why the **** are you talking to your mom about a Mesa?What the hell did you think she was going to say?"No dear, I prefer Dual Rec tone?!"
Also, this is actually really helpful for your situation.
We play tons of gigs with this band called Bury The Creator, one guitarist uses a 6505, one uses a Bugera 333XL. The Bugera gets raped hard in the mix everytime. Like, you can't even hear the dude with the Bugera over that retardedly loud midrange the 6505 has. Just food for thought. Also reinforcing the 6262 purchase.
Washburn HM Idol w/ SD JB in bridge > Ibanez Weeping Demon > Korg Pitchblack > Digitech Bad Monkey > Boss NS-2 > Boss DD-6 > Egnater Renegade > Splawn 2x12 w/ Weber Sig12Bs

Quote by Unskathed
We play tons of gigs with this band called Bury The Creator, one guitarist uses a 6505, one uses a Bugera 333XL. The Bugera gets raped hard in the mix everytime. Like, you can't even hear the dude with the Bugera over that retardedly loud midrange the 6505 has. Just food for thought. Also reinforcing the 6262 purchase.

Exactly what I said earlier. 6505/6262=mids
333=low end
And the last time I ehard deathcore, low end is needed. In large chunks.
Last edited by GS LEAD 5 at Oct 2, 2010,
Quote by Unskathed
it depends, the 333 can get much more mids than a 5150 type amp due to the active EQ. It can also get less than a scooped MG if that's what you fancy. Same for bass and treble, it can go pretty far either way.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
While I haven't played a 333, I have played the 333XL, and I found the 6262 to have EASILY as much bass as that.

Pretty much EITHER will have enough mids AND bass available for what you are doing...they just have a little different KIND of distortion. Pick the one that has the texture your looking for.
Ibanez RGR421EXFM, Michael Kelley Vex NV, Ovation Celebrity. Carvin V3
Peavey 412M w/Eminence Wizards & Swamp Thangs, Rocktron Hush Super C, Furman PL-8C,15 band EQ, Boosta grande, ISP Decimator, Dano EQ, Ibanez TBX 150,TC Elec Polytune
Quote by Vinson
While I haven't played a 333, I have played the 333XL, and I found the 6262 to have EASILY as much bass as that.

Pretty much EITHER will have enough mids AND bass available for what you are doing...they just have a little different KIND of distortion. Pick the one that has the texture your looking for.

+1

Whoever said the 6260 and the Peavey it's based off has lots of high end has no ears. They're very dark amps. IMO the 5150/6505 or Bugera clone would suit what you want much better. The 333XL is too bright. And lulz to the sounding like a Recto. Neither of them sound much like the Recto but the 6260 will get closer.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
My vote also goes for the 6262/6260 or a used peavey (which is what I ended up doing after sending my bugera back)
Bugera's arnt bad amps at all, sound pretty nice, mine crapped out and the hassle of sending it back is what made me not get a replacement. Kinda glad I went with the used peavey though.

But yeah, I played death metal/some death core stuff when I had my 6260 and it was a beast at it.
Quote by Levi79
For that music
Definitely the 6262, or better yet, go out and get a used 6505. It will be the same price as the new 6262 but alot better quality and sound.

But the 6505 is going to be loads better for your style

The 6505 has been proven to last....

From quality reviews...you really are throwing the dice with the Bugera.
I bet Charlie Brown's teacher's name was Mrs.Hammett
You are throwing the dice getting a USED Bugera before they fixed the problems.
Currently, they are as reliable as any other amp...and to MY ear, better sounding as well.

Actually, your REALLY throwing the dice on anything used. You don't know what has happened to it, what got spilled on it, how much it's been banged around etc etc.

Don't throw the dice...get an amp with a warranty. And if your REALLY worried about it, buy 2 Bugeras for the cost of 1 peavey, and you'll always have a back-up.
Peavey 412M w/Eminence Wizards & Swamp Thangs, Rocktron Hush Super C, Furman PL-8C,15 band EQ, Boosta grande, ISP Decimator, Dano EQ, Ibanez TBX 150,TC Elec Polytune
Last edited by Vinson at Oct 3, 2010,
How can you actually suggest buying two Bugeras with warranties?
I not trying to be facetious, but that sounds pretty biased to me.
Last edited by Washburnd Fretz at Oct 3, 2010,
Buy NOT wanting to buy ANY amp without a warranty. If you think your rolling the dice with a Bugera, for the same price as a Peavey, you can own 2. Of course I'm being facetious. I don't suggest buying 2 amps when you only need 1.
The warranty covers your butt. IF there would be a problem, you get a new amp...that's not going to happen when you have a problem with a used amp.
The idea that your safer buying a used peavey vs a new Bugera is no longer valid...though at one time it WAS.
You know, if you buy a used Bugera and it turns out to have the clip problem, you could just grab a soldering iron...
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Quote by Vinson
Buy NOT wanting to buy ANY amp without a warranty. If you think your rolling the dice with a Bugera, for the same price as a Peavey, you can own 2. Of course I'm being facetious. I don't suggest buying 2 amps when you only need 1.
The warranty covers your butt. IF there would be a problem, you get a new amp...that's not going to happen when you have a problem with a used amp.
The idea that your safer buying a used peavey vs a new Bugera is no longer valid...though at one time it WAS.

I love it when Fanboys pitch gear like they own stock in the company.

Peavey's 5150/6505 Series has been proven reliable amps, even for touring bands who push them to the limit almost every night for well over two decades. Bugera amps can't be compared in the quality department with their hit and miss numbers.

A Warranty isn't worth the paper it's printed on when you buy an item knowing that most likely you will have to use it....especially when you have a gig coming up and your amp is being repaired.

Tonewise, the 6262 line is very impressive. No doubt about that....but personally,
I'd go with the Peavey.
Last edited by Washburnd Fretz at Oct 3, 2010,
Any big difference in the 6260 and the 6262? I don't use clean channels a whole lot, so the singe EQ for both channels doesn't bother me. let me know
Quote by Vinson
You are throwing the dice getting a USED Bugera before they fixed the problems.
Currently, they are as reliable as any other amp...and to MY ear, better sounding as well.

Actually, your REALLY throwing the dice on anything used. You don't know what has happened to it, what got spilled on it, how much it's been banged around etc etc.

Don't throw the dice...get an amp with a warranty. And if your REALLY worried about it, buy 2 Bugeras for the cost of 1 peavey, and you'll always have a back-up.

The thing is they're not. I asked a friend who works in a music store here about them last week to clarify things and he said that Bugeras do indeed come back more often than any other amp. The difference in warranty claims isn't massive like it was at one point between Bugera and other brands but it's definitely there.

I still need to ask the tech at another store to see what his opinion is on them. I've seen a few sitting on his shelf when I go in there but there are so many amps I've never bothered to count.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Alright, I have one other amp i'm looking at besides the 6260. The B-52 AT-100 all tube head. Anyone think it could be a good amp?
The B-52 is sweet. Poor mans Mesa. Its a Triple Rec clone (Maybe dual I'm not sure) but it sounds fricken amazing.
Quote by Washburnd Fretz
I love it when Fanboys pitch gear like they own stock in the company.
Maybe he does.
Peavey's 5150/6505 Series has been proven reliable amps, even for touring bands who push them to the limit almost every night for well over two decades. Bugera amps can't be compared in the quality department with their hit and miss numbers.
I agree, unless you're talking about the new 6505+ 1x12 combo.
A Warranty isn't worth the paper it's printed on when you buy an item knowing that most likely you will have to use it....especially when you have a gig coming up and your amp is being repaired.
The warranty is for when you get a fluke which breaks down in two days. If you get a good one, you're fine.
Tonewise, the 6262 line is very impressive. No doubt about that....but personally,
I'd go with the Peavey.
Yeah, if you can find a Peavey for the same price as a Bugera, I'd do that too.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Quote by beforethethrone
Alright, I have one other amp i'm looking at besides the 6260. The B-52 AT-100 all tube head. Anyone think it could be a good amp?

I have the B-52 AT-100 and its a great amp...but I wouldnt recommend it.

The advertising is deceptive. You can do some nice classic rock and early heavy metal, but it doesnt push out the gain you would want for Numetal, Industrial, Death Metal, etc....Pinch Harmonics are nice, but dont compare to the high gain amps mentioned in this thread. IMO with 6505 and 6262 being considered 10 on a scale from 1-10
The AT-100 sits at around 6.5/7.

It does a wide range of tones with ease, but it doesnt rate high for extreme genres.

You get a nice rectified tone with a lot of midrange power. The cleans are very sharp, but not as glassy as the VOX clean. Thats my fave. The extra mid presence makes basswood guitars sound nice, even when they dont sound as good on other amps. Its the secret behind my Stedman Pro lp model. People cant figure out why it sounds like a SG. I just let them assume that it's mahogany...or its the pickups.

You get Class A, Class B, and Class A/B. The reverb doesnt have as big of a presence as most players are used to.

It also has been described as having a bland or boring tone to some players. It doesnt really have a recognizable tone like the high end amps on the market, but
the uncolored tone makes every detail of a guitar sound much different than the next. You can dial one guitar in and when you switch guitars the tone will show up on the other end of the spectrum. I dont think any other amp does it as well.

For recording purposes this is a major plus, but for live shows...it can be a show stopper if you use multiple guitars.

So basically, everything that makes it a great choice for some players, makes it the absolute worse for others.
Last edited by Washburnd Fretz at Oct 4, 2010,