Ok, here's the deal:

I'm looking to buy a new ("metal") guitar (mid high range £750 budget), and I want it to be a fixed bridge guitar. Problem is, 98% of the fixed bridge guitars I have played or researched have one of these "stoptail" bridges:

And I hate playing on those bridges as I think they are not very comfortable at all, especially for metal. I prefer the style of floyd rose bridges, but the problem is I want a fixed bridge for my next guitar.
The current guitar I have is also a fixed bridge (Ibanez), however it has an extremely comfortable "Gibraltar" bridge. This is like a floyd rose bridge except it's fixed:

Only Ibanez seem to make these. Do you guys know of any other fixed bridge metal guitars for me that have these sort of low profile, non-stoptail bridges?

thanks.
Try a string thru body tune a matic. Or Fender, Fender does make a fixed bridge like that. I know both the Jim root guitars have them and a few other fender models with humbuckers.

Also there is an ESP/LTD with it Click this to see it
Last edited by Jaredmkl at Oct 2, 2010,
Yeah, I was going to point out the Jim Root models.

What about string-thru stoptails? They're like the ones you posted, only they don't have the metal piece the strings go into. I don't imagine they'd work either, but we're not sure which part you find uncomfortable.

Also, what about getting something with a lo-pro Floyd Rose and blocking it?
Quote by Wisthekiller
tl;dr How does one safely remove the smell of a corpse from a banjo?

Would you run down past the fence?

Tell us, is the black box lying?
Do you mind about shape? if not the RR5 is probably a good guitar, no stoptail.

You've also got the DKMGT which is archtop superstrat again without the stoptail.

Just some recommendations, definitely worth looking around in your local music store and asking for some recommendations there. (As long as it's not GC.)

Not really familiar with the Gibraltar bridges, so I can't help there, sorry.
Jackson DXMG 2002
Jackson JS30RR 2006
Rockteck 30Watt Combo
Marshall MC212
Dunlop Crybaby-GCB95
Boss Metalcore ML2

Quote by Skagasm
just think......bc rich+nice ring=happy girl

no ring+gibson es-335= no bitch and an awesome guitar.
Last edited by Mazz211 at Oct 2, 2010,

a lot of brands do string thru, no stoptail. if thats what you like.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
i haven't tried them (so this is obviously not a recommendation), but sovereign maybe?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Well, the part I find uncomfortable is actually the bridge part, not where the strings go into a metal thing or go through the body, so either way a string thru or stoptail are uncomfortable (maybe I'm playing the guitar wrong?).
I prefer the flatter and broader surfaces of floyd rose like bridges, or the gibraltar example I posted in OP.
ahh,

low profile bridge. "Tight end"
http://www.ibanez.com/ElectricGuitars/model-RG1421F
or examples.
http://www.ibanez.com/ElectricGuitars/model-FR1620

or back to the RGA series wt gibraltar.

http://www.ibanez.com/ElectricGuitars/Series-rga

or even a fixed bridge Fender, pimped out to be more metal.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Last edited by jj1565 at Oct 2, 2010,
as i said, I think sovereign does one with a bridge like that, it's a gotoh i think. Most of the hardware companies make a bridge along those lines (kinda like a hardtail strat type thing), but it's finding a guitar which comes with it stock, and at your pricerange, which is the problem.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
some other options you have are:

Schecter PT and PT Fastback
Godin Redline 1 and 2 or if you can find the older Godin Freeway EMG models. (I highly recommend Godin guitars, they are great for the price!)

EDIT: Of course Ibanez is probably your best bet for Metal guitars with that style of bridge. Although its not being produced this year, the Ibanez RGT fixed bridge models (one had emg's the other had passives) could probably be found in stock in some stores or on the used market.
Last edited by AkiraSpectrum at Oct 2, 2010,
Quote by Pink Muse

Also, what about getting something with a lo-pro Floyd Rose and blocking it?

I concur. Seems like the simplest solution to me.
Quote by MakinLattes
dwelling on past mishaps is for the weak. you must stride into the future, unabashed and prepared to fuck up yet again.
Quote by itchy guitar
I concur. Seems like the simplest solution to me.

The whole point is that I want to be able to change tunings frequently. Will that be possible with a blocked floyd rose?

EDIT: Those Godin guitars seem really good, but it might be tough finding some to try out.
Quote by Metallica1554
The whole point is that I want to be able to change tunings frequently. Will that be possible with a blocked floyd rose?

Absolutely. It will act like a fixed bridge in that regard. And on top of that, you get the locking nut and you can still use the bar to go down, just not up.
Quote by MakinLattes
dwelling on past mishaps is for the weak. you must stride into the future, unabashed and prepared to fuck up yet again.
What's the advantage of getting a locking nut?

Also how will I block it in a way so it acts as a fixed bridge so I can change tunings? Tremol-no?
Fender JR Strat or Tele

Ibanez RGA Prestige or Ibanez RG Presitge guitars.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
A locking nut, along with the strings being locked at the bridge gives tuning stability. Of course, if you want to change tunings, you will have to get an allen wrench and unlock the nut. But you can keep it unlocked if you really want to.

As far as the tremol-no, it should work. I've never used one, so I can't give an opinion, but that IS what its for. But more simply, any ol' block of wood under the bridge will effectively "block" it.
Quote by MakinLattes
So if I bought a floyd rose guitar, then somehow locked the bridge so it didn't move up or down (or moved just down) I would get the tuning stability of a fixed bridge and also the playing comfort of a floyd rose bridge. And the only way to lock it at the strings is to use a tremol-no?

Also I guess I could keep the locking nut on.
You got the gist of it. Except Floyds are generally regarded as having more tuning stability than fixed bridges because of the locks at the bridge and the nut.

As for the tremol-no, I suppose that would be the "professional" way to do it. But I personally would measure and paint a block of wood to stick between the Floyd and the guitar. Same effect, but pretty much free.
Quote by MakinLattes
^ I see what you did there !
Yamaha SG 800
Tokai USG 118s
Hughes&Kettner Tube Meister
Jet City JCA12XS
Laney Cub 10
Electro Harmonix Big Muff pi (tone/wicker)
Boss CH-1 Super Chorus
Guild D 125 CE <3
Okay, so getting a guitar with a floyd and blocking it sounds like a good plan, or buying another ibanez. Those godins are an option too.
Quote by Metallica1554
Okay, so getting a guitar with a floyd and blocking it sounds like a good plan, or buying another ibanez. Those godins are an option too.

I'd try the Godin's first and the regular fixed bridge guitars before you resort to blocking a floyd. For me that would just be more of a pain than anything, but that's my opinion and it may not be a big deal for you.