Basically, I suck at guitar and music theory. But I was dicking around quite some time ago and started playing this.

e|-----0------0-----0------0----------------------------------------------|
B|-----0------0-----0------0----------------------------------------------|
G|-----9-----11----9------4----------------------------------------------|
D|----11-----9-----7------2-----------------------------------------------|
A|---------------------------------------------------------------------------|
E|---------------------------------------------------------------------------|

Sometimes I throw the open A string in too.

I want to find some more chords for a chorus or something, and possibly write a little lead part to go over it.

Help, please?
Last edited by GogglesVK at Oct 2, 2010,
Wait, do you want a scale to use over that, or more chords for a chorus?

I don't have my guitar out, so I'm just going to look at the notes:

C# E B E
B F# B E
A E B E
E B B E

E F# A B C# are your notes. It's hard to tell, I might have to hear how it resolves. If it had a D# and/or a G# I'd probably immediately think E major.

The key of D major has two sharps (F# and C#), but this really doesn't look like it resolves to D.
The key of A major has three sharps (F#, C#, and G#). You said you throw the open A string in here and there, so it could resolve to A major
The key of E major has four sharps (F#, C#, G#, and D#). This looks a lot like a vi V IV I progression in E. I actually just got my guitar out, and it sounds like it resolves very strongly to E.

But how much you throw in that open A makes a big difference. If you don't at all, then it's definitely E major. If you do a lot, it's probably A major. What it really comes down to is where YOU want it to resolve. If you want it to resolve to A, use that open A liberally and use the A major scale over it. If you want it to resolve to E, avoid that open E, and use the E major scale over it.

As for more chords for a chorus part, I can't help you out until you determine where you want it to resolve.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
Holy crap.

The open A sounds nice, I guess.

e|-----0------0-----0------0-----------0------0-------0-------0----------------|
B|-----0------0-----0------0-----------0------0-------0-------0----------------|
G|-----9-----11----9------16----------9-----11------9-------4----------------|
D|----11-----9-----7------14---------11-----9-------7-------2----------------|
A|------0-----0-----0------0-----------0------0-------0-------0----------------|
E|----------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

is was thinking of.

But if you say it resolves well to E, then I'll have to screw around with it a tad more, since I know nothing about this stuff at all.
Last edited by GogglesVK at Oct 2, 2010,
Quote by GogglesVK
Holy crap.

The open A sounds nice, I guess.

e|-----0------0-----0------0-----------0------0-------0-------0----------------|
B|-----0------0-----0------0-----------0------0-------0-------0----------------|
G|-----9-----11----9------16----------9-----11------9-------4----------------|
D|----11-----9-----7------14---------11-----9-------7-------2----------------|
A|------0-----0-----0------0-----------0------0-------0-------0----------------|
E|----------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

is was thinking of.
Well, in that case, it resolves very clearly to A. I suggest using the key signature of A major.

Quote by GogglesVK
But if you say it resolves well to E, then I'll have to screw around with it a tad more, since I know nothing about this stuff at all.
Well, as I said, with that A pedal tone, it resolves pretty clearly to A. If you wanted to get rid of that A pedal tone and have it resolve to E you certainly could, but the way it is, it resolves to A very well and you don't need to change anything.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea