Picked it up today for $50, and it's not at all what I Imagined it'd be.

First off, the negatives:
So, like I said, it's not at all like I imagined it'd be. it's kind of like a fuzz face, but it's a lot nastier sounding. Not good for hendrix stuff at all. The red and blue Fuzz Faces they put out now are better than this one at getting Jimi sounds. It doesn't clean up very well either, but that might be my guitar's fault. I don't have my other guitars to test it with ATM, so I'll give the pedal the benefit of the doubt on this one.

another thing I don't like about it is that it doesn't seem to get along with my amp. If I leave the "bright" switch on my amp, it's a horribly trebly sound that could probably be used in an abortion clinic to save money on medical supplies. I pretty much had to readjust every parameter on my amp to use it.

Finally, the Fuzz knob doesn't really seem to do anything. If i crank it back to the lowest setting, i might as well crank it back to 9 o'clock. I pretty much leave both knobs on full. maybe there is something wrong with it?

Now for the sunny side of things:
it's kickass for grungier stuff. Like I said, it's a lot nastier than the fuzz face. It sounds even better when I run it before my compressor to brighten it up a little. It's got the "Bullet With Butterfly Wings" tone down, much to my surprise. I want to try it with a bass, I have a feeling it might get some cool sounds.

All in all, not a bad buy for $50. I wouldn't reccomend it to anyone, though. It's an okay fuzz pedal, but nothing to jump on. I'll probably try to flip it sometime in the future. I would reccomend the Dano fuzz before this one.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
happy new shitty pedal day!

reminds me of the time i got a bsiab from kevin saale.
^bsiab?

HNPD
We've dressed up in our best...

...and are prepared to go down like gentlemen.

Quote by bogg808
The PBT is for those too TGP for the rest of UG.

lulz. How much was it?
We've dressed up in our best...

...and are prepared to go down like gentlemen.

Quote by bogg808
The PBT is for those too TGP for the rest of UG.

jhachey i'm sorry about the threadjack.

the bsiab sucked balls. sounded nothing brown or box.

/threadjack

on with your regularly scheduled NPD thread...
Thanks you.

(takes mic)

Gregs, im happy you got rid of your pedal, immma let you finish, but my NPD features one of the crappiest pedals of all time, OF ALL TIME!
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Quote by Jhachey22

Gregs, im happy you got rid of your pedal, immma let you finish, but my NPD features one of the crappiest pedals of all time, OF ALL TIME!

so you've never tried the washburn soloist distortion pedal then huh?

Probably a stupid question, but is there any difference between what you have and the Jimi Hendrix System 'Classic Fuzz?'
Board:
Pitchblack - Fulltone Octafuzz - Hardwire OD - Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina - MXR Micro Chorus - Diamond Memory Lane Jr - EHX SMMH - Neunaber Wet
lol

Washburn soloist is awful. The BSIAB is okay. If it weren't called the BSIAB people might like it a bit more. It doesn't sound anything like EVH.

I'm surprised you expected a Hendrix tone out of it. They're pretty notorious grunge boxes.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
ah. just remember, it was forsaknazrael who told you to get it, not me.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by IsThereLoveInSp
Probably a stupid question, but is there any difference between what you have and the Jimi Hendrix System 'Classic Fuzz?'

It is the classic fuzz, the name's just been stripped off.

EDIT: ^

I'm not saying i regret buying it, I'm just saying it's not quite what I expected. now I just have to find a better fuzz for Fuzz Face sounds.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Last edited by Jhachey22 at Oct 2, 2010,
Is your amp on the clean channel?
Putting through a distorted amp is obviously going to make it sound like shit.
Quote by SteveHouse
This thread is officially about sucking Sleaze off for a sig.

Quote by tayroar
Hey Sleaze I'll give you a blowjob if you sig me. Maybe even some nudey photos?

Quote by crazy8rgood

Sleaze, that made me lulz in my pants.

Quote by 36mikeyb36
hahaha Sleaze i'd give you my mom for that one.
Quote by Jhachey22

I'm not saying i regret buying it, I'm just saying it's not quite what I expected. now I just have to find a better fuzz for Fuzz Face sounds.

yeah, i know. I mean $50 isn't the end of the world, especially if you can flip it, but I guess it's still a bit disappointing.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Sleaze Disease

wat

Fuzz Face type fuzzes usually sound considerably better in front of a distorting amp. That's fairly common knowledge.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Or not.
They sound the best through a clean tube amp, IMO.
Quote by SteveHouse

Quote by tayroar

Quote by crazy8rgood

Quote by 36mikeyb36
Quote by Sleaze Disease

OMG! thanx! I kept trying and trying, but I nevur thaut of that!!!1!!!

of course i thought of that, genius

it sounded like an 8-bit simulator with the amp set dirty.

Mmtolerx: it's not really a fuzz face anyways, but i do agree with you. I used to have the silicon FF from Dunlop, and it was teh secks with the amp slightly overdriven and the fuzz at 75%, volume full.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Quote by Sleaze Disease
Or not.
They sound the best through a clean tube amp, IMO.

If you like a dirty raspy fuzz, then yea. It would sound better through a clean amp. Putting it through a dirty amp makes it considerably smoother and less harsh. Just listen to Eric Johnson, Cream or Hendrix and you'll hear it.

EDIT: ^I thought the System was a FF? I'm not sure. There were like 3 or 4 Hendrix fuzz pedals back then.

EDIT2: Yup. It's a Ge Fuzz Face with an input buffer. There should be a bias trim pot in there. It's probably poorly biased like most were.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Last edited by mmolteratx at Oct 2, 2010,
Quote by Jhachey22
OMG! thanx! I kept trying and trying, but I nevur thaut of that!!!1!!!

of course i thought of that, genius

It was a legit question, you dick.

Some effects work best through a clean setting and some people honestly don't think to try it.
Quote by SteveHouse

Quote by tayroar

Quote by crazy8rgood

Quote by 36mikeyb36
Quote by mmolteratx
If you like a dirty raspy fuzz, then yea. It would sound better through a clean amp. Putting it through a dirty amp makes it considerably smoother and less harsh. Just listen to Eric Johnson, Cream or Hendrix and you'll hear it.

EDIT: ^I thought the System was a FF? I'm not sure. There were like 3 or 4 Hendrix fuzz pedals back then.

EDIT2: Yup. It's a Ge Fuzz Face with an input buffer. There should be a bias trim pot in there. It's probably poorly biased like most were.

Intersting. it sounded nothing like a FF.

I opened it up, and i saw no buffer, unless it's on the other side of the circuit. in which case, i have nothing to take the washers off. I left my pedal tinkering kit at home.

Sleaze Disease: just a joke buddy, sorry if you got offended.

man, i need to work on my replies on this forum. people think I'm some sort of dick
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
It looks like this when you open it right?

(Invalid img)

You'll need to remove the jacks from the case to see what the board looks like. The trim pot labeled TP3 (between the pot and output jack) is the bias pot. You might be able to get it by ear with no other mods.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Quote by mmolteratx
It looks like this when you open it right?

(Invalid img)

You'll need to remove the jacks from the case to see what the board looks like. The trim pot labeled TP3 (between the pot and output jack) is the bias pot. You might be able to get it by ear with no other mods.

I can't see the picture. i need authorization to see it. also, see my previous post about not having access to tools. I needed to use scissors just to open the thing

but on another note, could adjusting the bias pot help with the lack of range in the Fuzz knob? on 10 it's gungy as hell, and on 0 it's like the lead from "Mainstreet".
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Scissors may be able to get enough grip on the nuts to get them off. I'd try anyways. If it's biased right, it should clean up better but it shouldn't make a huge difference. At least in my experience.

Search Dunlop JH-2S on Google and click on the Freestompboxes.org link. You'll probably have to register to see stuff but who doesn't want to see pedal pr0nz?
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Quote by mmolteratx
Scissors may be able to get enough grip on the nuts to get them off. I'd try anyways. If it's biased right, it should clean up better but it shouldn't make a huge difference. At least in my experience.

Search Dunlop JH-2S on Google and click on the Freestompboxes.org link. You'll probably have to register to see stuff but who doesn't want to see pedal pr0nz?

Is it a real picture of the circuit, or just a schematic? If it's a schem, it might as wel be chinese
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
nope, pasted the link in my browser and i'm still not authorized.

WAIT! I have in idea so crazy it just might work...

save the picture on your computer, upload it to photobucket/flickr/etc and then post it here.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
*removed*
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Last edited by mmolteratx at Oct 2, 2010,
Yeah, that's exactly what the board looks like. So the bias will be on the other side, between the output and the fuzz pot?

and how should i go about adjusting it? is there a standard way, or is it just by ear? I'm starting to think about modding it to make it easier to adjust, like switch what side the bias pot is on and maybe make the buffer switchable with a push/pull pot. would this be possible?
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Do you own a multimeter? If not, doing it by ear is the only option. If you do, set the bias pot so that you get 4.5V at the collector of Q2.

For switching in and out buffers, it would be too much of a PITA with the circuit board. You'd have to trace where the input buffer ends and use a DPDT switch for that and find where the output buffer starts and use a DPDT switch for that. You won't find a pot with a 4PDT switch so you'd have to use a real switch and there's not enough room in there for that. You'd also have to cut some circuit traces.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Quote by mmolteratx
Do you own a multimeter? If not, doing it by ear is the only option. If you do, set the bias pot so that you get 4.5V at the collector of Q2.

For switching in and out buffers, it would be too much of a PITA with the circuit board. You'd have to trace where the input buffer ends and use a DPDT switch for that and find where the output buffer starts and use a DPDT switch for that. You won't find a pot with a 4PDT switch so you'd have to use a real switch and there's not enough room in there for that. You'd also have to cut some circuit traces.

I see. well, i'll have to see what it sounds like after the bias adjustment.

I successfully removed the washers from the pots with scissors, but that are not working very well on the others

grsah... why did i leave all my shit 750km away

and once again: would the bias adjustment help with the range of the Fuzz knob?
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Quote by Jhachey22
It is the classic fuzz, the name's just been stripped off.

Ah, that's disappointing. I had heard from various places that this is a good way to go if you want a germanium Fuzz Face on the cheap, but I guess not. Is there any way you could make a clip showing off its grungier side?
Board:
Pitchblack - Fulltone Octafuzz - Hardwire OD - Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina - MXR Micro Chorus - Diamond Memory Lane Jr - EHX SMMH - Neunaber Wet
Quote by IsThereLoveInSp
Ah, that's disappointing. I had heard from various places that this is a good way to go if you want a germanium Fuzz Face on the cheap, but I guess not. Is there any way you could make a clip showing off its grungier side?

I don't have any good recording gear, just the mic from my webcam.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
never bought a pedal I didn't like (it's called research aka: try before you buy)

unless it was very cheaply priced on CL or something
Last edited by stymye at Oct 2, 2010,
Quote by stymye
never bought a pedal I didn't like (it's called research aka: try before you buy)

ZOMG, ur so smrt!

of course I tried it. I wouldn't have bought it if I didn't like it.

n00b.

^Nice edit
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Quote by Jhachey22

man, i need to work on my replies on this forum. people think I'm some sort of dick

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?