I currently have four Groove Tube 12AX7-R preamp tubes that came stock in my Crate BV120H head. The extreme static with the volume around 5 without a noise suppressor is pretty annoying, and I was looking to replace them with some new 12AX7s.

My budget is under $100 for all 4 and I want something with a very good crunch, is pretty high gain, decent-enough cleans, and a nice low end on top of it all.

Would any GT models be good for me? I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to tubes still - this is my first time considering replacing them.
first off, how much gain are you using, because tubes dont cause static unless they are going out, and its usually not volume related. because if a noise supressor stops the static it makes me believe its not the tubes but gain settings.

and if any tube were to cause any static noise in an amp it would be the power tubes if they were dying on you. preamp tubes can become microphonic but that sounds more like faint christmas bells following all your notes(thats at least what i'd describe it as).
Last edited by WaltTheWerewolf at Oct 2, 2010,
I would recommend JJ's, they cost about £35 for a set of four 12ax7's
Quote by Kensai
You'll find whisky very different, but try it and you'll grow into it, soon you and whisky are one, but still two, lovers dancing across a frozen lake under moonlight, wrapped in honey and warmth.

Sums up whisky perfectly
Quote by Archer18
I would recommend JJ's, they cost about £35 for a set of four 12ax7's

+1 for the JJ's.
Totally transformed my amp which wasn't anywhere near bad to begin with.
Gibson Les Paul Studio // BKP Nailbombs
Dean Performer Key Largo

Marshall JVM215C
Fulltone Octafuzz
Dunlop ZW-Wah
My gain is set to only about 6-7/10 on my Lead channel. It's still a hefty amount of gain, but the amp moreorless has a "light crunch" or "very heavy crunch" to it - there's not much of a middle ground, and I tend to use the heavier crunch.
It sounds like what most people would refer to as hum. Isolate components until you find the source of the noise.

Quote by WaltTheWerewolf

and if any tube were to cause any static noise in an amp it would be the power tubes if they were dying on you. preamp tubes can become microphonic but that sounds more like faint christmas bells following all your notes(thats at least what i'd describe it as).

Preamp tubes crackle and shit as they go bad. Microphony is loud crackling too.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Necro-time.
I've replaced my Tube, and still getting a fuzz, a hum or wat, I can still play, but it sounds as if the noise gate would if it just wasn't working. Or something.

Is this a grounding issue perhaps?
It just happened when I moved it slighty from once place to another perhaps.
Also Isolate whar noise coming from?
How do I do that?
On playing the Paul Gilbert signature at the guitar store extensively, my missus sighed:
"Put it down now, It's like you love that guitar more than me!"
In Which I replied.
"Well it has got two F-Holes!"
Always worth searching ebay for cheap NOS (New Old Stock) tubes too, esp for 12AX7's. Anything made in the UK, Germany, Holland or the US will make a modern 12AX7 sound like smeg.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Yeah, so it turned out my pedal was faulty HA.
DOH
On playing the Paul Gilbert signature at the guitar store extensively, my missus sighed:
"Put it down now, It's like you love that guitar more than me!"
In Which I replied.
"Well it has got two F-Holes!"