Hi, I'm in a 3-piece band, guitarist and backing vocalist (Not very good). So I was thinking of using the money I will get from gigs to put towards vocal lessons. I was wondering if this is a good idea or is it a waste of money.

Also, the lessons I'm looking at are £140 for 4 hours of lessons with a level one certified instructor.

Here's the webite - http://www.medleysingingstudios.co.uk/index.htm

Thanks,
Quote by Kensai
You'll find whisky very different, but try it and you'll grow into it, soon you and whisky are one, but still two, lovers dancing across a frozen lake under moonlight, wrapped in honey and warmth.

Sums up whisky perfectly
Last edited by Archer18 at Oct 2, 2010,
Well, you could do that, but.....
I am the guitarist/backing vocalist of my band. I wasn't very good so I decided to work on my voice. I didn't take voice lessons though, I learned a lot just from the internet. Youtube has tons of stuff, rockthestagenyc has a bunch exercises and mini-lessons for free. You'd be surprised by all the stuff you can learn for free. I also borrowed some one's copy of Mark Baxters "Rock-N-Roll Singer's Survival Manual." I am much more confident in my singing, extended my range, and even do lead vocals on one song now.

Up to you. Also, the studio you linked looks legit, SLS is a method used by Brett Manning. Just don't take classical voice lessons, unless want to sing classical (which you don't).

Even if you do take the lessons, still google vocal lessons and exercises, it can only help you.
^Thanks, I will check out rockthestagenyc stuff and I will go from there. Also, is that Rock-N-Roll Singer's Survival Manual book worth buying?

Quote by Kensai
You'll find whisky very different, but try it and you'll grow into it, soon you and whisky are one, but still two, lovers dancing across a frozen lake under moonlight, wrapped in honey and warmth.

Sums up whisky perfectly
Last edited by Archer18 at Oct 2, 2010,
And for a completely different point of view....

Taking singing lessons was one of the best things I ever did. I couldn't sing to save my soul. I was the person, at family birthdays, that people looked at funny as if to say, "please... just mouth the words." If you think I'm exaggerating... I'm not.

I thought, "meh... I'm a guitarist. I don't need to be able to sing."

Long story short, I did learn. I got SO much more out of it, though.

1. Learning to sing is the absolute BEST way to develop your ear. You think your ear is good now? Wait until you start singing!

2. Two people show up to audition for a band. Both are good enough to play the material with no difficulty. One is a better guitarist. The other can provide backing vocals. Guess who gets the gig?

Now, about classical technique....

Good singing is good singing. I studied a technique called Bel Canto. Though it is a classical technique, it is used by people who have had considerable success in a variety of genres. Listing only the people who studied with my instructor (to be assured that they learned the same technique I did... or more to the point... that I learned the same technique they did....), there is:

Helix, Triumph (multi-platinum selling hard rock / '80's metal)
Daniel Lanois (yes, THAT Daniel Lanois) - roots
Beverley DiAngela - Hollywood/Broadway
Ian Thomas - Juno Award winning folk artist
Rita Chiarelli - blues

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Quote by axemanchris
And for a completely different point of view....

Taking singing lessons was one of the best things I ever did. I couldn't sing to save my soul. I was the person, at family birthdays, that people looked at funny as if to say, "please... just mouth the words." If you think I'm exaggerating... I'm not.

This is what I'm like. I think I will go with singing lessons because I find it hard to motivate myself when there's just a dvd/book.

Thanks everyone for the advice
Quote by Kensai

Sums up whisky perfectly
Also, is £140 for 4 hours a good price?
Quote by Kensai

Sums up whisky perfectly
Yes take vocal lessons with a real person. My teacher is the best. I learn so much. Im not good but im learning. Best of luck. Also learn the right way to breath. THats 80% of singing
My newest cover Rivers Of Babylon sublime style.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=J_E7iWLxmiA

My gear:
taylor 310
Fender strat MiM
Cry Baby-GCB-95
Tone port ux2
tascam dp4
80s rock, classic rock, classic metal
Yes get lessons! I just started and it makes an incredible difference to your voice.

My opinion is that you can pretty much self teach yourslef guitar these days to a certain extent, but with singing you need someone with a good ear to help you out.

Good luck.