hi guys, which telecaster is better and more worth the value? The 72 telecaster deluxe or the American special tele 3? They are similar in price, and are they both made in America? Are these guitars alot better compared to the mexican tele?

Thanks in Advance
The 72 tele deluxe is probably made in mexico. It would say American if it was.

Since one has humbuckers and one has standard (albeit hot) telecaster singlecoils, they're pretty damn different. In general humbuckers are good for more rocking styles, and single coils are good for cleaner styles. But there are exceptions - for example most jazz is played on guitars with humbuckers.
GMW hot-rod telecaster
GMW soloist
PRS Custom 24
The Illegal Les Paul
CAE 3+SE
Soldano SM-100R
Splawn 4x12

“Life is on the wire…the rest is just waiting” - Papa Wallenda
Substitute the stage for the wire, and he's got it.
the '72 imo. better for that stuff, not more versatile.
Last edited by gregs1020 at Oct 2, 2010,
Quote by gregs1020
the '72 imo. better for that stuff, not more versatile.

I would agree with this. If you want to play mostly rock and punk, a humbucker-equiped guitar is probably a good idea. The 72 tele would be a good, no-frills choice.
GMW hot-rod telecaster
GMW soloist
PRS Custom 24
The Illegal Les Paul
CAE 3+SE
Soldano SM-100R
Splawn 4x12

“Life is on the wire…the rest is just waiting” - Papa Wallenda
Substitute the stage for the wire, and he's got it.
I've played a few '72s in stores as they really interested me, but every one I played was fantastically average. It's a guitar, but that's about all you can say to describe it. It's completely unmentionable in every way. The American special has soul to it. I'd go with that. Plus, you'll have more options for it later.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
The '72 is actually pretty versatile. I'm able to get some nice crunchy rocks tones out of it, of course, but the neck gets a very nice and smooooth bluesy tone if you roll back your volume. Kind of like if you smoothed out regular Tele's neck a little bit.

I would go play both and see what you like though, to be honest. The '72 is a COMPLETELY different beast than a normal Tele. Has a bigger neck, which is finished in gloss, LP/SG style electronics setup, the 70s style 3 bolt neckplate with a microtilt adjustment. It comes down to preference, but you really can't go wrong with either one.

Oh, and to answer another one of your questions, the '72 is a MIM guitar. However, that should be taken with a grain of salt as they're high-end enough in terms of the Mexico Fenders that there's very little difference between them and an American Standard or Highway One series guitar.
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Last edited by Natrone at Oct 2, 2010,
Why not take the middle ground and get a '72 custom, bucker in the neck single coil in the bridge.
HI
Quote by corrupt_freedom
so how would these guitars compare to the prs se custom 24? which would be a better buy?

If you have the ability to get American Fender content, why even consider any SE model?
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER