Alright guys, I just hit a plateau in my bass playing. I feel like everytime I pick up the bass, I have nothing to do on it besides warm up and play a few songs I know already. I really need some new song suggestions (preferably bass solo pieces). Can you fellows in this wonderful bass forum of ours give me some help?

As referance for how hard the piece should be, I can play Portrait of Tracy and Continuum by Jaco, Flow My Tears by Stu Hamm, and the Vision of Victor Wooten (not all of it, but you can get an idea of what I like to play and what I can pull off).

Thanks a million.

PS: If any of you have some awesome scale techniques/warm ups, that would be great appreciated.
pinga
Write your own stuff. Or if you can't then learn some theory.

Ibanez K5
Warwick Rockbass Vampyre 4

Line 6 Bass Pod XT Live
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Quote by edgeyyz
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1366816
Some of the stuff in here may apply to you. Learn YYZ and Scarified if you can.

Ive been reading that thread, even contributed but im not having his same problem, I just need new literature.

I'll consider YYZ but I want solo repetoire right now.

Quote by Codytheicecube

Wow, that sounds beautiful but im positive he's not in a standard tuning, probably in tenor tuning with real light guage strings. None of which I have

Quote by Ghefly
Coffee Ship by RHCP. That song is a beast to play!

Ill look into it, but I want mainly solo pieces right now.

Quote by Bassist Rising
Write your own stuff. Or if you can't then learn some theory.

Im bad at writing my own stuff and I already know my theory. I know it might not make sense, but thats just me haha.
pinga
Bach Sonata #1 in G
Quote by MoogleRancha

You sir, are a genius.

I salute you.

Quote by iwontwait
The bestowing of this thread on my life is yours. Thank you, Benjabenja.
Quote by Cb4rabid
The violin solo?

Transcriptions are often harder and more rewarding to play then bass songs. I'm playing charlie parkers au privave saxaphone solo transcribed for my music performance class. If you want i can scan you a copy

EDIT: teen town and continuum are roughly on the same level, teen town has some hard timing i guess
Last edited by Bass First at Oct 2, 2010,
Quote by Pillo114
Improvise?

Haha, not really good at that either, and I would want a supporting track.

Quote by Bass First
Transcriptions are often harder and more rewarding to play then bass songs. I'm playing charlie parkers au privave saxaphone solo transcribed for my music performance class. If you want i can scan you a copy

EDIT: teen town and continuum are roughly on the same level, teen town has some hard timing i guess

Yeah, I just really wanted a strictly bass solo piece like the examples I mentioned I can play. I can't play ALL of continuum either, those 16th note runs always kill me, I need help with my speed . I'll give the sax solo a shot though.

Quote by LadiesBass
anesthesia pulling teeth by metallica... all bass solo

I really hate Cliff Burtons sound. I mean seriously, if all you're gonna do is put distortion on your bass tracks, you might as well play guitar imo. (that and im not a fan of bass effects at all).
pinga
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
Its true.

Well alright im biased cause I really hate the whole metal look and attitude, but his sound is just dreadful imo.
pinga
I don't like his sound either but I don't choose to put him down as a musician. What he did was unusual, almost revolutionary for some and really inspired a lot of people. Still does.
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
Honestly, I dont see what the revolutionary link is/was. I can make my bass sound like an elephant with the right pedal, doesn't make me revolutionary. If you're talking about how he was able to incorporate his distortion sound into the music, I still dont understand because he just made it sound like a guitar, and thats not really.....new.

Im not dogging his talent, the guy could play, but to me, he isn't an inspiration anyway.
pinga
I think gilly's talking about the fact that he created a bass solo from scratch and didn't complain about it.
http://www.youtube.com/user/ladiesbass

Bass: Yamaha RBX374 (4 String)
Bass: Schecter Damien-5 (5 String)
Amp: Fender Rumble 60
Future Stack: Ampeg SVT-7PRO Head, SVT-410HLF Bass Speaker Cabinet
Yeah?

I don't care for making my own as of yet, I made a few diddles here and there, but nothing intricate as I would like to play.
pinga