Hi,
for a week (or two) ive been having a problem with enjoying my playing. I can play the songs i know (aint fun. dude, we heard them before), i can play scales and technical excercises (again, no joy of it) and when i want to learn something new i just give up (cause its do hard for me). And playing my own stuff isnt great idea, im really not creative type and anything i create sounds like crap. Any ideas what could i do?
LP owners unite!
Boss OD3
try another instrument, like bass or drums. that's what did it for me when i got frustrated with the guitar.
Guy Stabs

-like a snail along a straight razor, dividing itself through motion
M E S H U G G A H
im learning to play the piano and sometimes i play the mandolin. doesnt seem to affect my enjoyment of guitar.
LP owners unite!
Boss OD3
You're in a rut. It seems like i go a long period of time and don't get any better. Than one day I pick it up and I'm doing something I never thought I could've. Just stick with it man
"[Bleach] is mostly water, and we are mostly water, therefore we are bleach"

I feel we should go to...

Purple Alert
so keep on playing no matter what. guess i have no other choice
LP owners unite!
Boss OD3
this seems to happen surprisingly often...

just try to learn an easy song that you enjoy listening to, or try doing some improv or something... anything you can do to enjoy yourself.
could you suggest me any easy song? Since i listen mostly metal stuff, there arent many easy songs (or i already know them). I wouldnt mind a song from any other genre
LP owners unite!
Boss OD3
Last edited by Cahir at Oct 2, 2010,
Quote by Cahir
could you suggest me any easy song? Since i listen mostly metal stuff, there arent many easy songs (or i already know them). I wouldnt mind a song from any other genre

If you're cool with dropped C/C# tunings, most SOAD stuff is pretty easy and catchy.
not really since my strings are 010 :\
LP owners unite!
Boss OD3
you can always try alternate tunings (not just drop d or dropping it a step or something, but something actually different), I've found that when I lose interest, I just try some open tuning to fool around with... my favorite is open C (CGCGCE) it sounds cool, and if you enjoy it try to learn some boy hits car stuff, it's pretty fun to try to figure them out... most of the tabs for them suck, but they are pretty cool......
Get out of that rut. And if you have trouble learning something new, because you tend to give up, break it into small pieces. Here is some advice to keep you going: http://www.theloneguitaristblog.com/motivation/3-time-proven-ways-stick-practice-routine/

Try and play something completely different from what you usually play.

What krypticguitar87 said is a good idea. Buy a slide (bottleneck), tune your guitar to DGDGBD (from low to high), and try and play a 12-bar blues in D! It's not hard to get something good sounding going in that tuning, with a slide.
the open c tuning is pretty cool. but i have no idea what to play and figuring out how to play something is far too difficult for me since i just cant hear a note a tell what note it is. It would take me ages :/
LP owners unite!
Boss OD3
Last edited by Cahir at Oct 3, 2010,
Those ruts and loss of motivation happen. It's normal - nobody can be super high intensity into something at all times - there are ebbs and flows. The most important thing is to not stop playing. Just play a bit less for a while, and play easy stuff, or just noodle and explore some ideas, and in general don't put any of pressure on yourself. The motivation and enjoyment will come back by itself in a few weeks or so.
I like to use magazines like Guitar Techniques or Total Guitar. They give you lots of little licks and lessons you can mess around with. You can take all of those things and alter them/link them and make your own things.

Trade guitars with someone. Getting new stuff always makes me play a ton. I just traded my guitar for a new one. Got it friday, and I'd say I put in 10+ hours this weekend.

Building upon other people's riffs is always fun too. I do this with Metallica riffs a lot.

Coming up with your own powerchord riffs is a lot of fun too. Its easy too.
Last edited by big_aug at Oct 3, 2010,
Listen to new music.

***Pick up Creative Guitar 1 and Creative Guitar 2 by Guthrie Govan. Also, listen to Guthrie Govan's music.***

Get a different guitar. Looks like you have a Les Paul cause your sig. I have a Les Paul and I've grown to hate it. Not versatile, no trem bar, super thick neck.
Sounds like you are just not challenging your self enough.

This happens to all of us at one point or another (at least I will speak for myself here) - when I am feeling bored with everything I am doing I will start working on something new: new chord voicings, new modes of a scale that I havn't mastered yet, etc.

Also something fun - turn on the radio and start trying to play along. Write down new songs that you like and try to learn them.

I also have had some fun on youtube - I see a 12 year old kid shredding the shit out of his guitar and it challenges me to improve my own playing.

Just don't give up.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
-Gibson Les Paul Studio - Gem Series
-ESP Eclipse II Standard
-ESP Horizon FR II Standard
-Marshall TSL 602
-Peavey 6505+
-Mesa 2x12 Rectifer Cab
Quote by ESP_Azrael

I also have had some fun on youtube - I see a 12 year old kid shredding the shit out of his guitar and it challenges me to improve my own playing.

When I see some wee lil´ man shred the guitar like god, I feel ashamed and depressed, cause it seems like "haha, im wee lil´man and i shred like god and you dont, haha" (seems like im kinda jealous :\)

And i really dont know if i could trade my guitar, you know, shes all mine. I wouldnt mind a new guitar but i really dont want to get rid of this one
LP owners unite!
Boss OD3
I know what you mean man, with both enjoyment and seeing a 12 year old doing Vai or something, I can actually say I've gone 6 months at one point not even picking up my guitar, but just stick with it man

and that shredding kid, will grow up to be an ass probably, just saying
Quote by theogonia777
Lefthandedkid is super awesome, ja?

Quote by rgrockr
I guess fire extinguishers have to be filled with something other than fire retardant now, because apparently that's offensive.

Watch my stream?
Quote by lefthandedkid
I know what you mean man, with both enjoyment and seeing a 12 year old doing Vai or something, I can actually say I've gone 6 months at one point not even picking up my guitar, but just stick with it man

and that shredding kid, will grow up to be an ass probably, just saying

I didn't mean to make my original post seem like you should be embarrassed of getting smoked by a 12 yr old lol. I use it as motivation and lets face it some people are just virtuosos with born talent. Others, like myself, need practice and dedication to achieve it.

You need to be proud of your own skills regardless of level and work/practice to achieve what you want.

I said it before - don't give up. Challenge yourself and dedicate the time to your craft.

Like everything you get out of it what you put into it. If you don't practice and challenge yourself you will never improve.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
-ESP Eclipse II Standard
-Marshall TSL 602
-Peavey 6505+
-Mesa 2x12 Rectifer Cab
Sometimes i have a feeling as if someone can do something i cant, hes a god in my eyes. And when i reach the level to play the thing im all like "oh, dude, thats nothing, its practically worthless, its nothing.
So much for being proud of my own skills (whatever they are)
LP owners unite!
Boss OD3
try learning new genres for an example if you're into metal try playing hard rock, jazz, blues, Rock N' Roll, and retro.

GEAR:
Jackson JS30WR Warrior XD
Fender Frontman Amp
Boss DS-1 Distortion
im into metal and i would like to try another genre (such as bluegrass) but i dont know anything about it :\
LP owners unite!
Boss OD3
Stop being so negative - if you don't know about it go out and learn. Otherwise be miserable lol.

Don't know what else to say my man.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
-ESP Eclipse II Standard
-Marshall TSL 602
-Peavey 6505+
-Mesa 2x12 Rectifer Cab
Aye aye sir. setting course out for learning
LP owners unite!
Boss OD3
"when i want to learn something new i just give up (cause its do hard for me)"

There is no such thing as giving up or too hard. Unless you are totally new and want to learn yngwie malmsteen, then expand your taste in music and learn something easier.
At least im not alone. I've been stuck in this rut for over a month. Last full song i learnt was Creeping Death by Metallica then i moved onto Master of Puppets. Did the whole section up to Hetfield's solo clean cause my amp was at my friends place, then when i plugged it in it sounded like absolute shit. I can't seem to find a tone that i like and for some reason everything that i've played (even clean) sounds like shit to me (even songs i could play prior to this )

But the only positive that i can take from it is that i learnt how to play my first solo; Fade to Black intro (i know it isn't exactly hard, but saying that i usually play rhythm its a big step forward for me)
Schecter Hellraiser Solo 6
Ibanez RGR321EX
Roland Microcube

RIP Dio _\m/

"There are times in your life when you have to ask yourself the question "What would Charlie Sheen do?""

Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.
Last edited by DegaDeth at Oct 4, 2010,
My mother once told me: 'A change is as good as a rest'.

Try something new, another genre, branch out into different techniques. You'd be surprised how fresh and inspired it can leave you feeling. Aside from that, if it carries on and on maybe guitar just isn't for you - and if you're not enjoying something there's no point in doing it to be brutally blunt.
If a guitarist plays guitar he also have to learn ,no one is born perfect rite? Then why don't you struggle a little. I have seen a phrase many times and it seems quite interesting also "Whats Life Without Challenge". Its hard but not impossible . I have found a simple solution for you "strengthen your will power and your passion to play guitar" every thing will be easy for you .
i would really like to try the drums. but getting a decent drumset is pretty expensive
LP owners unite!
Boss OD3
When I get a bit overwhelmed with learning technical stuff, I find learning a new Nirvana song is always a good outlet to rock out, something nice and simple to get the rock juices flowing. This weeks favourite for me is Tourettes, pretty simple and lots of fun! Maiden is a good bet too, most of their stuff is easier to play than you might think listening to it.
I get the same way to a lot of days trying to learn a long, and difficult metallica song. You just gotta sit back, take some breathes and feel confident you can do it.
If you want to try somer easy songs, three days grace (drop d tuning) are pretty easy to learn. Breaking Benjamin(various tunings) are easy songs to. Don't get bummed out man!