I find that best songs that I've ever made are those that I've written during some of the hardest parts of my life. I always seem to focus too much on technique and theory when I try to push my self to make a song. So my question is, how is it that you choose to compose? Do you pick a key perhaps and attack it or do you prefer to wait until your body just takes over your music?
You have to learn not to expect anything of yourself
Don't tell me what can not be done

Don't tell me what can be done, either.

I love you all no matter what.
Well sometimes you reach these points where you are just disconnected from everything and the music just flows out and it's beautiful. You are not thinking about what note you're going to hit next, it just goes. Anyone can compose beautiful music knowing their music theory I mean that's why it's there to help you.
Quote by pwrmax
I just improvise a lot until I play something I like.

Couldn't have said it better myself

Try not taking any approach. Most of the times when I compose I have no intent, too and it comes right out the blue. Once I have a hook/riff/theme/vamp/progression it's branches of in many directions which form the groundwork of a song. Some are deleted, altered and it's structured, but yeah.. I never plan, or just sit down and think 'alright! let's compose' it's all spontaneous. The only time I would approach it in such a way was if I needed to write a solo or some sort of section, say a bridge or outro to a song. There, I already know the key of the song, tempo/beat, and the generally feel so it's not that hard. So all in all, just jam until you create, some so simple can create the grounds for so much more.
Quote by Night
wtf is a selfie? is that like, touching yourself or something?
I either write down stuff straight from my head, do something experimental that I don't know what the end result will sound like or mess about with an instrument.

I usually pick some sort of tonal centre, tempo or general mood to begin with, but I don't stop it from changing direction.
If I try to write, it sounds contrived, and I won't do that. I sit and play and follow where my head, ears and emotions take me. I have made a conscious decision to let the music write itself. I refuse to turn from a song that has only 3 simple chords, if those chords get the job done. That may be surprising considering my bent towards theory and teaching others, but it's not. I use theory to open options and explore ideas, but ultimately I let the song write itself with nothing preconceived in mind.

Sean
i try to match forms of art, music isn't better than other art, its just the most accessible and the easiest to corrupt, so i feel music is the form of art i need to create the most of to fight its corruption by "artists" who will remain unnamed for now.

i start by analyzing a particular emotion i've felt (and i know this is really cheesey and generally frowned upon by serious/good musicians, but every emotion i've written abt is in some way related to my ex-gf...yeah, have a good laugh, but it makes some pretty good music). i have names for characters, emotions, stuff like that, turning all my music into kinda concept music, i use symbols i've come up with, for example "winter" is deppression, "summer" is happiness, and i know seasons have a different meaning in poetry and literature but these are the meanings I use, because afteral, i'm the writer right?

i use this to either make a poem, short story, painting, then i pick a key to start with. theoretically, keys are all the same, but keys have different meanings to me, its just a personal thing. key changes are usually determined by changes in the story i've come up with. modes are also very important to me, using the right mode makes a big difference. i try to learn as much theory as possible, it helps with the expression, like if the song is about chaos, there will be a lot of dissonance.

i try to make all the instruments play off eachother intriquitly (mightve spelled that wrong). i dont just want a couple instruments playing harmony and 1 playing melody or 2 harmonizing a melody, its gotta be all organized, like ill have an instrument on the bass clef run up a scale followed by an instrument on the treble clef, thats a bad example but thats all i could come up with right now.

i try to turn every song into a journey, and knowing theory and the sound of each scale and mode helps a lot. not that im an expert in theory or anything :P
Things just come out. That's about it, but regarding key, it depends on what I've thought of. I usually base the key on what will provide the best phrasing opportunities with the open strings and general constraints of my instrument.
Do not try and play the guitar. That's impossible. Instead... only try to realize the truth. There is no guitar. Then you'll see, that it is not the guitar that plays, it is only yourself.

.... seriously, its a zen thing
Bro that could be the coolest things I've ever heard. But yeah honestly, I rather take a sort of spiritual approach to music. Like all the greatest guitarist out there have had the same things. Mind being theory and understanding of music. Body being the technical capabilities such as getting the sound you want without any physical limitations and soul, this one is a little trickier. You either have it or you don't. Songs are like art. You craft something that others may appreciate and relate to. Take them on a journey.
I always start with a title & the general theme of the song. It really helps with the mood/tempo/chords/arrangement you wanna use. Then I sit down and think of a hook for the title, then work out a chorus in my head & figure it out on the instrument afterwards.

I also don't figure it out on the instrument for at least a week or so, as I feel the tell tale sign of a good song is wether you can remember it. So if I can remember what I come up with a week later then I know I've got a good'n!

The hardest part for me is then to come up with verses, bridges & connections for each section of the song. Sometimes I think of a really good chorus, but don't know what to do for the verse. Feels bad man!
Quote by Sean0913
If I try to write, it sounds contrived, and I won't do that. I sit and play and follow where my head, ears and emotions take me. I have made a conscious decision to let the music write itself. I refuse to turn from a song that has only 3 simple chords, if those chords get the job done. That may be surprising considering my bent towards theory and teaching others, but it's not. I use theory to open options and explore ideas, but ultimately I let the song write itself with nothing preconceived in mind.

Sean

This

and

Quote by z4twenny
Do not try and play the guitar. That's impossible. Instead... only try to realize the truth. There is no guitar. Then you'll see, that it is not the guitar that plays, it is only yourself.

.... seriously, its a zen thing

This.

These guys pretty much perfectly described my approach. The one thing I would say differently is that, most of the time, the hook of the song comes by ear. I can just hear it and then it becomes a matter of finding it.
There may be times when it is impossible to prevent injustice, but there should never be a time when we fail to protest it.

Take a trip down the Scenic River

Call me Charlie.