Page 1 of 3
I am seeing a therapist to help with my OCD and PTSD.

OCD, its the classic symptoms, i.e. hand washing, fear of touching certain things (in my case, chemicals). PTSD, I was in a rollover about 2 1/2, 3 years ago. I cant go faster than 30-35 mph because it reminds me too much of the accident. Thats how bad my trauma is.

Anyway, the therapist I'm seeing is really good. she says, (and I tend to agree with her), that my OCD is about 50% cured. My PTSD is around the same level as it was when I first started coming to treatment. I've been seeing her a little over a year and a half. She's really good.

That said however, she seems to be pushing me before I'm ready for it. Becuase I have alot of resistance and avoidance issues (as most of yall who know me on here have figured out), she seems to think that the best way to help me is to face my fears. And yes, that has does wonders for me in the past, given that it was done at my own pace.

See, when I first started seeing her, I was at the point where touching a can of Lysol was almost equivalent to a death sentence. Now, I can pick up the can and spray it and everything without a second thought, just like a normal person. So, you see, I can get there. Sure, it takes a ridiculously long time to get there, but I did get there. And yes, I want to get cured of this too, its not like I just woke up one day and said, 'oh, I'll have OCD today'. (Even though she suggests that I did).

In my most recent session (yesterday), she did this thing where she tells me about her "safe-place", and then I do the same for her. She's into the whole eastern stuff, like meditation, vegan, etc. Which is all fine and good. That works for her. Great. I even know a few friends that are like that. But hey, its not my cup of tea.

Now, I'm Roman-Catholic (make jokes what you will, I dont care). Anyway, in the Ten Commandments it says "Thou shall not have false Gods before me". As meditation and all that eastern stuff has deep roots in hinduism, taoism, etc. I personally consider them to be practices of those said religions. And by practicing those things, its sort of practicing the religion, thereby breaking the above listed Commandment. I explained all this to her. She said that if I truly felt that way, to maybe ask my priest and see what he says. Well, I think I know my faith enough to know the answer, I'm gonna ask anyway just to show her that the church backs me up on this.

I'm still tolerant of other religions, dont get me wrong. Whatever your religion is (whether its baptist, mormon, lutheran, catholic, jewish, muslim, hindu, agnostic, scientologist, whatever,...it works for you, great, power to ya brother. But just dont try and force it on me, you know.

Anyway, do y'all think I should still see her (even though she seems to want to convert me LOL), or just **** her and look for a better therapist?

(I still live with my parents, they said I could stay till I finished college, so til then, they're paying for all this. With money tight as it is, quiting therapy may be a practical choice).

So should I still see her? or just look for someone else? or just quit therapy for a while?
you do need a lot more therapy buddy.
You who build these altars now

To sacrifice these children
You must not do it anymore
This won't end well.
Quote by Pleasure2kill
The truth is, Muslims never apologized for their faith having something to do with the attacks on 9/11.
Quote by neptune1988
Anyway, do y'all think I should still see her (even though she seems to want to convert me LOL)

Wait, you think because she's recommending a change in diet/stress release exercise she's pushing some sort of religious agenda?

Meditation isn't something only practiced by some religions, and if you think being vegan is exclusively religious then I'm not sure what to say. I can't see how your church would look down on you for doing either of those things.

You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
There is a small mailbox here.

Steam: | PSN: Zeroxxed | Twitter:
Quote by the bartender
you do need a lot more therapy buddy.

I knew I was asking for it.

and yes I realize I need SOCIAL therapy.
I think you should give up. It's worth it in the long run.
sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash
...You know there are Christian monks, right? And they meditate.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.
Quote by Kilobyte
Wait, you think because she's recommending a change in diet/stress release exercise she's pushing some sort of religious agenda?

Meditation isn't something only practiced by some religions, and if you think being vegan is exclusively religious then I'm not sure what to say. I can't see how your church would look down on you for doing either of those things.

Like I said we're Roman-Catholic. We're as crazy as any of 'em. Especially us orthodox ones. (Which my church still has strong orthodox influences. Compared to the middle ages, the roman-catholic church hasnt changed a WHOLE lot.
Anything to do with religion doesn't matter as much in this situation (in the sense that it seems like your beliefs are preventing you from getting better). It's working, and you should continue to do it. You even said she's really good and with her help you can get there, so why stop?
Call me Cam
Quote by DirtyMakik
I'm Han Solo, Splamron's Greedo.

Han shot first. Greedo's dead.
Last edited by splamron at Oct 2, 2010,
I'm not reading that. But based on the fact that you are asking the pit for advice I'd say you need the therapy.
I think you're looking into it too much. Talk to the priest, but realize that God's still gonna love you if you sit down and have a little you-time every once in a while.
Quote by Jack Off Jill
...You know there are Christian monks, right? And they meditate.

yeah, I even explained that to her.

Its REFLECTION or ADORATION.
They are similar to meditation. SIMILAR, not IDENTICAL.
There's no crazy stretch positions, or wierd breathing excercise, or at least not that I know of.
Quote by neptune1988
There's no crazy stretch positions, or wierd breathing excercise, or at least not that I know of.

Does god allow you to play american football..?
Quote by Pleasure2kill
The truth is, Muslims never apologized for their faith having something to do with the attacks on 9/11.
She is using a pretty standard and modern psychotherapeutic method called Bhuddist Psychology (and other variations on that). It's the secular use of some Eastern teachings which evidence has shown can be very very helpful.

It is extremely unlikely that your therapist is trying to convert you in any way whatsoever, she is more than likely simply making use of what is a new and promising avenue for psychotherapy and one she's probably decided has a lot of potential to help you. There's nothing religious about it, it's simply a secular version of the stuff that's shown itself to be useful. Like how Alcoholics Anonymous use a secular version of a "higher power" concept to help alcoholics, it's not trying to convert them to religion, it just works.
However, if you feel that the relationship with your therapist has been badly harmed then you need to talk to her about it.

Here's an example of this practise, just to show I'm not lying or anything
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mindfulness_(psychology)#Therapeutic_applications_of_mindfulness

This isn't a religious thing, it's just standard therapeutic practise.
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
Last edited by Ur all $h1t at Oct 2, 2010,
Quote by neptune1988

That said however, she seems to be pushing me before I'm ready for it. Becuase I have alot of resistance and avoidance issues (as most of yall who know me on here have figured out), she seems to think that the best way to help me is to face my fears. And yes, that has does wonders for me in the past, given that it was done at my own pace.
You can't exactly take an objective perspective on yourself. This sort of thinking is almost certainly impeding your progress in therapy. She can only make suggestions of what she thinks is in your best interest. Of course it will always be up to you to say whether or not you're ready to do whatever it is she asks of you.
Now, I'm Roman-Catholic (make jokes what you will, I dont care). Anyway, in the Ten Commandments it says "Thou shall not have false Gods before me". As meditation and all that eastern stuff has deep roots in hinduism, taoism, etc. I personally consider them to be practices of those said religions. And by practicing those things, its sort of practicing the religion, thereby breaking the above listed Commandment. I explained all this to her. She said that if I truly felt that way, to maybe ask my priest and see what he says. Well, I think I know my faith enough to know the answer, I'm gonna ask anyway just to show her that the church backs me up on this.
Meditation in and of itself is not religious.

Also, your God sounds like he has self-esteem issues.

So should I still see her? or just look for someone else? or just quit therapy for a while?
It's your call, you'd know better than we would if you're content with your progress in therapy or your therapists methods.
Quote by splamron
Anything to do with religion doesn't matter in this situation (in the sense that it seems like your beliefs are preventing you from getting better). It's working, and you should continue to do it. You even said she's really good and with her help you can get there, so why stop?

I even WANT to keep going cause I want to get over all my issues and everything but sometimes, its like, 'you can lead a horse to water, but you cant make him drink' (so you drown him and then what good is a dead horse to carry you out of the desert?)

She's really good and all, its just she needs to know when to let me handle it on my own.

There was a time when I got fed up with her, and I quit going for a few months, and during those months I made great progress on my own, but when I started to plateu or get stuck again I went back.

Do y'all maybe this may be the same thing and that I just need to go a few times, try it on my own, go a few times, and just keep alternating? Cause frankly that kinda seems to work for me.
Quote by neptune1988

I really have a hard time believing God would be upset with you for doing something that can be a positive experience for you. He says have no gods before him. That's fair enough. Just because you do yoga, that doesn't mean you automatically have a new god.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Bro, there is no reason you should stop seeing her. She's not trying to convert you. Obviously you need to learn more about Roman Catholicism if you think there's no such thing as meditation in it. Ever hear of praying? Yeah.

Also, I would not stop seeing her because I think she is right. I'm going to school for Psychology right now, and I have to say I'm on the behavioral side of things. You have to shut up, grow some balls, and face your fears or you'll never truly get better.

^^^ sorry if it sounds like I'm talking out of my ass. I'm just in a bad mood
Quote by Ur all $h1t
She is using a pretty standard and modern psychotherapeutic method called Bhuddist Psychology (and other variations on that). It's the secular use of some Eastern teachings which evidence has shown can be very very helpful.

It is extremely unlikely that your therapist is trying to convert you in any way whatsoever, she is more than likely simply making use of what is a new and promising avenue for psychotherapy and one she's probably decided has a lot of potential to help you. There's nothing religious about it, it's simply a secular version of the stuff that's shown itself to be useful. Like how Alcoholics Anonymous use a secular version of a "higher power" concept to help alcoholics, it's not trying to convert them to religion, it just works.
However, if you feel that the relationship with your therapist has been badly harmed then you need to talk to her about it.

I remember you arguing with me about the higher power thing at some point.
Quote by vintage x metal

You don't have to associate mediation with religion at all...
There are a lot of proven medical benefits to it that don't take into account plaything to do with spiritualism at all, so just take it like that maybe?

But vegans are from hell, I totally agree with you on that point.

EDIT: What that guy two posts up said
Last edited by benonbass1 at Oct 2, 2010,
Quote by neptune1988

1) Meditation does not involve crazy stretch positions. It's not yoga or whatever the **** else. It's just being calm and relaxed, which I suppose never happens in religion.

2) You're letting your religion **** your life and if your more concerned about it then fine, but you will not be breaking your religion and you probably won't get any better if you don't try.

Sorry for the angry face tone.
la de da.
If you don't trust your therapist, you should definitely quit. That is rule number one. Normally id say something like what the hell is this doing on a guitar site, but ive had some similar issues. Just take some time, think about your options, relax. Most of this stuff is stuff youll have to answer yourself
Isn't meditation just a form of relaxing and calming yourself? It doesn't have to be religious
Quote by metaldud536
Just become an atheist. That way you won't have to fear pissing off anybody.

Rejection of God is considered the Supreme Sin.

But its okay, that may work for you. But I kinda care where my soul goes.
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
Maybe you should look into finding a Christian or Catholic therapist, TS...

They'll probably use mindfulness based therapies too...
-Ronald Reagan

-George Washington
I'd say you have to take your religion a lot less seriously, and stay with your therapist. Oh, and eastern medicine is stupid, in my opinion at least.
Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.
Quote by neptune1988

Don't imply that just because he doesn't believe in your god he is going to hell, as that will anger a whole lot of people....

EDIT: vv here it comes.
Quote by neptune1988

inb4 thread derailment.
dude, shes trying to help you and you're pushing her away. try it out, if it's not for you then go elsewhere or tell her. but if someone's trying to help, give them the courtesy of letting them help you.
Belief is a beautiful armour but makes for the heaviest sword.
Meditation etc. do not break a Comandment. You are not worshipping anything when you practice them. It sounds like this therapy is working for you. Don't quit over something silly like that.
I think we took too many drugs when we were kids,
'cause now we like to make
Weird Music
-Wayne Coyne
Quote by benonbass1
You don't have to associate mediation with religion at all...
There are a lot of proven medical benefits to it that don't take into account plaything to do with spiritualism at all, so just take it like that maybe?

But vegans are from hell, I totally agree with you on that point.

EDIT: What that guy two posts up said

I understand that meditation as a stand-alone is not nessesarily (****, I ant spell for shit) a bad thing...but what its DERIVED from is considered a religion. And yes, Catholicism even Roman-Catholicism has meditation, but it works different from what my therpist is tlaking about.
Quote by neptune1988
fear of touching certain things
she tells me about her "safe-place", and then I do the same for her
I still live with my parents
So should I still see her? or just look for someone else?

One question: did you meet with her on webcam?
One more: If she's the only one to bear with these facts then I guess you should continue seeing her
Quote by Burgery
I'd say you have to take your religion a lot less seriously, and stay with your therapist. Oh, and eastern medicine is stupid, in my opinion at least.
Your opinion is wrong on this one mate. There's plenty of evidence showing the promise and efficacy of mindfulness based therapies.
-Ronald Reagan

-George Washington
Quote by neptune1988

don't go there buddy, you're never gonna win that one.

Also, don't you state your own belief as a truth EVER AGAIN.
You who build these altars now

To sacrifice these children
You must not do it anymore
the hell man

Quote by neptune1988

oh boy yo goin down
Last edited by DVN12 at Oct 2, 2010,
Quote by severed-metal
Have you tried talking it out?

OH!

ARRGH!!! THATS WHY IM HERE YOU DOUCHE!!!

Quote by neptune1988

Ok how about this: Bend your rules a little bit. The WBC and all the other religions that branched off from Christianity and Catholicism do it all the time. That way you can adopt these new meditation methods and hell, maybe you'll come up with a new religion

I'm just messing with you
Last edited by metaldud536 at Oct 2, 2010,
Page 1 of 3