Page 1 of 5
I can't help but notice that more and more "guitarists" are popping up who have no respect for the guitar as an actual instrument and I blame Guitar Center and guitar magazines for this.

I teach lessons at a music store and it's appalling how little these "guitarists" know about the guitar. I wonder why, until I read GC's fliers and magazines.

-They push horrible amps and guitars which are more bells and whistles than quality

-Their often-stoned employees routinely know nothing about music or guitars. They know nothing of wood qualities and tones, they know nothing about how amps and speakers work, and they know nothing about any style of music other than blues/rock or metal. There are exceptions but mostly they hire salesmen, not guitar-lovers.

-They constantly push the same 5 or 6 shitty, retarded guitar players for kids to idolize. Zakk Wylde, Slash, A7X, Angus Young, Dragonforce etc all get front page spotlights. Meanwhile, none of the kids I know have any idea who Joe Pass, Francisco Tarrega, Charlie Christian, Andres Segovia, or Django Reinhardt are. Do you know any saxophone players who don't know who John Coltrane is? Or any pianists who've never heard of Richter or Glenn Gould? So why do only 1% of guitarists actually know the TRUE heroes of their instrument who elevated the guitar above the position of a folksy novelty instrument?

-Classical guitars are marketed as novelties.

-Prevalence of Tabulature instead of sheet music cripples young guitarist's understanding of music theory, fretboard harmony, etc.

-Partnering with that Guitar Hero thing makes the guitar nothing more than a glorified toy.

-They use their buying power to flood the market with flashy garbage and institute the idea in young minds that if it isn't something they see on a video game or something their awful, half-assed "hero" plays, it must be bad. Name recognition takes the place of quality and shitty guitars rule the day. Have you EVER seen an article in guitar center newsletters/magazines on how to tell if a guitar is of high quality? No, because if you knew quality you wouldn't shop at guitar center.

Essentially it's all sales, sales, sales with no real love for the instrument. An entire generation of guitarists has been created who have no real understanding of music and who think that reading tabs and watching Herman Li DVD's will make them a "professional" guitarist. I go to college for classical guitar and we are constantly viewed as a "lesser" instrument because people identify the guitar with 16-year old douche bags who can sweep-pick a minor 7th arpeggio but have no f###ing clue what a minor 7th is. The reason for this is Guitar Center and their anti-music propaganda.

I'm sorry for ranting but it really gets on my nerves that after so many decades of struggling the guitar is STILL seen as a stupid novelty that only un-educated, un-cultured people play. It makes me mad that guitarists who have true potential talent end up wasting it because they're more interesting in being the fastest sweep-picker at their school than...oh, I don't know...AN ACTUAL MUSICIAN. The guitar is a very difficult instrument to understand but you CAN do it if you try. Guitar Center and magazines seem to be focused on making you not want to try, and to be content as the laughingstock of violinists and woodwind players everywhere.
Quote by CLVPX
Wow, SkyValley = Epic win.
geez what's with the long-ass posts today? I'm not reading this shit.

yes they killed your guitar, sue the hell out of them.
You who build these altars now

To sacrifice these children
You must not do it anymore
Has Sports Authority killed Baseball?
Quote by MakinLattes
dwelling on past mishaps is for the weak. you must stride into the future, unabashed and prepared to fuck up yet again.
I've played piano for eleven years and I haven't a clue who this Gould fellow is.
will someone carry me across ten thousand miles under the silence
tl;dr

TS cares about what other people do too much.
Quote by tattyreagh
He's the hero The Pit deserves but not the one it needs right now. So, we'll hunt him, because he can take it. Because he's not our hero. He's a silent guardian. A watchful protector. GbAdimDb5m7.

Free Jani92jani

Free Will Swanson
Quote by the bartender

Was just about to say exactly this. So many tl;dr opening posts in the last few hours.

You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
There is a small mailbox here.

Steam: | PSN: Zeroxxed | Twitter:
Yes, because having easy to reach locations, a relatively large variety of instruments and low prices is the sound of death to anything.
Please excuse my godawful username. I was thirteen.
Quote by SkyValley
I can't help but notice that more and more "guitarists" are popping up who have no respect for the guitar as an actual instrument and I blame Guitar Center and guitar magazines for this.

I teach lessons at a music store and it's appalling how little these "guitarists" know about the guitar. I wonder why, until I read GC's fliers and magazines.

-They push horrible amps and guitars which are more bells and whistles than quality

-Their often-stoned employees routinely know nothing about music or guitars. They know nothing of wood qualities and tones, they know nothing about how amps and speakers work, and they know nothing about any style of music other than blues/rock or metal. There are exceptions but mostly they hire salesmen, not guitar-lovers.

-They constantly push the same 5 or 6 shitty, retarded guitar players for kids to idolize. Zakk Wylde, Slash, A7X, Angus Young, Dragonforce etc all get front page spotlights. Meanwhile, none of the kids I know have any idea who Joe Pass, Francisco Tarrega, Charlie Christian, Andres Segovia, or Django Reinhardt are. Do you know any saxophone players who don't know who John Coltrane is? Or any pianists who've never heard of Richter or Glenn Gould? So why do only 1% of guitarists actually know the TRUE heroes of their instrument who elevated the guitar above the position of a folksy novelty instrument?

-Prevalence of Tabulature instead of sheet music cripples young guitarist's understanding of music theory, fretboard harmony, etc.

-Partnering with that Guitar Hero thing makes the guitar nothing more than a glorified toy.

-They use their buying power to flood the market with flashy garbage and institute the idea in young minds that if it isn't something they see on a video game or something their awful, half-assed "hero" plays, it must be bad. Name recognition takes the place of quality and shitty guitars rule the day. Have you EVER seen an article in guitar center newsletters/magazines on how to tell if a guitar is of high quality? No, because if you knew quality you wouldn't shop at guitar center.

Essentially it's all sales, sales, sales with no real love for the instrument. An entire generation of guitarists has been created who have no real understanding of music and who think that reading tabs and watching Herman Li DVD's will make them a "professional" guitarist. I go to college for classical guitar and we are constantly viewed as a "lesser" instrument because people identify the guitar with 16-year old douche bags who can sweep-pick a minor 7th arpeggio but have no f###ing clue what a minor 7th is. The reason for this is Guitar Center and their anti-music propaganda.

I'm sorry for ranting but it really gets on my nerves that after so many decades of struggling the guitar is STILL seen as a stupid novelty that only un-educated, un-cultured people play. It makes me mad that guitarists who have true potential talent end up wasting it because they're more interesting in being the fastest sweep-picker at their school than...oh, I don't know...AN ACTUAL MUSICIAN. The guitar is a very difficult instrument to understand but you CAN do it if you try. Guitar Center and magazines seem to be focused on making you not want to try, and to be content as the laughingstock of violinists and woodwind players everywhere.

0/10
sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash
I agree with most of that. The guys in my local store are quite good. They know most of their models inside out, and two of the guys are really skilled Jazz Guitarists.
What is this that stands before me?

Figure in black that points at me...

FUCKETH THINE SELF
No, they're always idiots who don't get these things. Don't blame GC; blame the idiots who buy their stuff. Besides, the only way to turn someone from an idiot to being a non-idiot is to educate them. So, TS, go educate some idiots!

Edit: I think you'll find most of the members of UG have very little respect for the Jazz Guitar "Heroes". Frankly, I'd barely even consider said players as people who advanced the art of guitar.
Last edited by crazysam23_Atax at Oct 2, 2010,
"-They constantly push the same 5 or 6 shitty, retarded guitar players for kids to idolize. Zakk Wylde, Slash, A7X, Angus Young, Dragonforce etc all get front page spotlights. Meanwhile, none of the kids I know have any idea who Joe Pass, Francisco Tarrega, Charlie Christian, Andres Segovia, or Django Reinhardt are. Do you know any saxophone players who don't know who John Coltrane is? Or any pianists who've never heard of Richter or Glenn Gould? So why do only 1% of guitarists actually know the TRUE heroes of their instrument who elevated the guitar above the position of a folksy novelty instrument?"

Who cares?
Quote by itchy guitar
Has Sports Authority killed Baseball?

Exactly. It's capitalism. These companies sell a product that they want to make money with. Guitar Center is a large instrument shop comparable to any sports equipment store.

I don't really know much about guitar. I've been playing on and off for almost nine years and I'm still not very good. By TC's standards, I probably don't have much "respect" for the instrument.

Seriously, some people have it in their minds that the music industry is all about staying true to the fans. Wake up.
No, they increased access to guitars, I think, if anything, they're helping.

Quote by the bartender

I'm with you man.
This is why I don't like arguing on the internet.
Quote by damian_91
If only you could back that statement up.
Quote by Zombee
Wolfgang's Philadelphia Study. Look it up yourself.
Quote by damian_91
No need to, absurd generalizations aren't my thing.
Maybe if small guitar shops didn't have whiny, arrogant people who think they're special, they might be shopped at more.

Also, I agree with the bit about Guitar World. They only do articles on three different people.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.
Of course they hire salesmen, it's a shop.
Quote by duncang
maybe it's because i secrely agree that tracedin inymballsackistheb best album ever

he's got the fire and the fury,
at his command
well you don't have to worry,
if you hold onto jesus' hand
Quote by SkyValley

Well disregarding the fact that that's your opinion I want to know where you got that statistic from. Sources please?

Also, just because a guitarist is famous doesn't make them shitty, if anything it makes you sound like a pretentious prick.
When life gives you lemons just say fuck the lemons and bail

Quote by Duffman123
The first time I saw his name I thought it said cunt Seanula >_>

True story.
the more people that play guitar the better right?

TS just think of it this way... the more rubbish guitar players out there the better the talented ones look....

now go tug yourself off to get rid of some of the stress you have built up =)
Quote by Metalmarathon
The concept of self-fulfilling prophecies never seem to occur to the ones that always create them.

Attic Green
My Band
Quote by Argonaut
I agree with most of that. The guys in my local store are quite good. They know most of their models inside out, and two of the guys are really skilled Jazz Guitarists.

Like I said there are exceptions but I've asked GC employees if a metronome was capable of doing subdivisions of the beat and they looked at me like I said something in Arabic.

And to all the other negative posters: Yes, GC DOES get more people to play the guitar. I am saying that they are doing it for the wrong reasons. Guitarists today don't know how to listen for harmonies, they only know how to look for flying fingers and stupid gimmicks.

If there was a flute player who knew as much about the flute as GC's super-hero Zakk Wylde knows about the guitar, he or she would be considered a really f*cking awful flute player and no other flute players would take him/her seriously. Do you understand?
Quote by CLVPX
Wow, SkyValley = Epic win.
Quote by Kikuta
Sell your Valvestate to brainless 17 year old for mighty sums of dollars. Purchase a JMP for a pittance from a desperate seller. Masturbate to pictures of yourself and your new, real Marshall. Eternal glory awaits.

GO HOME.

It's a ****ing shop, mate. A shop sells things, it doesn't kill things. If anhthing, it saved the guitar. You thunk kids would be going out to buy and learn guitars if a.) there aren't many guitar shops and b.) they were so ****ing expensive you couldn't get started on the instrument??

Ever heard of a LASER HARP? No. So I'll tell you. It's an amazing thing which shoots massive lasers into the air and you slice them ith your hand like a ninja to make awesome, stadium filling spacey keyboard sounds. Doesn't it sound freaking awesome? Okay. Now how many people do you know that play the laser harp? Exactly. It's because they cost a fortune, and no-one sells them. So be thankful for guitar center saving the guitar.

The mere thought that you'd claim that the guitar is a NOVELTY instrument keeps me awake at night. You're talking out of your arse. And the fact that you blame the supposed defamation of such a fantastic instrument on a guitar shop surely tells me you are insane sir. Godnight.
Quote by Duv
The only good thing about my MG30 was I was able to have it in my room for 5 years solely as a place to hide cigarettes and condoms.
They are a massive business trying to maximise profit, they'll get more sales promoting apparantly crap amps that are often bought as a first amp and using popular faces than the relatively unknown guitarists you named.
Yes they have no soul compared to the typical small-time guitar shop, but they are doing nothing wrong and definitely aren't killing the guitar.
No endeavour rivals science in its incremental progress towards a more complete understanding of the observable universe.
im going to have to disagree with ya there. I have, in the past, received excellent advice form GC employees, from everything from amps, basses, acoustics, and electrics. Always seem helpful. I should mention i have gotten 1 catalog from them, and it was about keith urban (country guitarist), and i found about new all-tube marshall amps, PRS guitars, Schecters and others.

Also, i have seen some local bands in guitar center, trying out some half stacks in the back. The selection at my guitar center is a little lacking when it comes to amps, but they have almost everything under the sun when it comes to guitars. I have yet to have the problem of find a guitar online, wanting it, and not being able to find it at the guitar center store. (except for the Tony Iommi sg-g400 and the gibson buckethead )

Also you said "anti-music propaganda" If it wernt for music, they would be out of business. also, blogs are your friend.

I can say that i have had about 4 happy sales from guitar center, and at least 15 trips down there, without a complaint. please enlighten me why classical guitars are marked as novitiates. also not had that problem with my guitar center.

Are we even talking about the same store?
Guitar Center has killed guitar in the same way that SporthChek has killed sports... I.e no it hasn't, and you're stupid to think so.

It sells guitars, it doesn't tell people what to do with them.
They do push a lot of crap to beginners but they would probably much rather sell you a good half stack and PRS if they thought you had the money.
This is stupid.

Aww, isn't it cute? TS is an elitist prick!
Quote by rmr024
Well, in California, people carry around devices that control the minds of bears. So expect to see people walking their bears.

Also, don't be surprised if some robot hookers try to solicit sex to you on the streets.
Last edited by SLonergan at Oct 2, 2010,
Quote by SkyValley
Like I said there are exceptions but I've asked GC employees if a metronome was capable of doing subdivisions of the beat and they looked at me like I said something in Arabic.

And to all the other negative posters: Yes, GC DOES get more people to play the guitar. I am saying that they are doing it for the wrong reasons. Guitarists today don't know how to listen for harmonies, they only know how to look for flying fingers and stupid gimmicks.

If there was a flute player who knew as much about the flute as GC's super-hero Zakk Wylde knows about the guitar, he or she would be considered a really f*cking awful flute player and no other flute players would take him/her seriously. Do you understand?

Don't be silly. Guitar Center doesn't tell the kids to like shitty metal. Kids liked it on their own and Guitar Center caters to that.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.
i actually read that, and for the most, agree.

i disagree however on your ''5 or 6 shitty guitar players" while i DO think them guitarists are all OVERRATED i wouldn't call them shitty. i respect them, but i don't like them. so you can't really put one opinion vs another and say yours is gospel.
Belief is a beautiful armour but makes for the heaviest sword.
Quote by SkyValley

OPINIONS

learn to respect them.

Guitar is the fad instrument nowadays. I personally know all the artists you mentioned (except for Richter, but I'm not a professional pianist), but you can't expect 12 year-olds who are only playing to get girls to give a **** about them.
Quote by ctfod
Of course they hire salesmen, it's a shop.

Also this.
Quote by SkyValley
There are exceptions but mostly they hire salesmen, not guitar-lovers.

that's because it's a store. It exists to make a profit and sell merchandise.

It's the exact same reason Blockbuster hires salesman and not film critics. It's the same reason Best Buy hires salesman, and not software programmers.

What the hell good is a "guitar lover" if he can't make the store any damn money because he keeps telling the customers "that guitar is crap, don't buy that".
Last edited by Lt. Shinysides at Oct 2, 2010,
Quote by SkyValley

Research it beforehand. I've worked at a record store. Maybe there were disgruntled customers that complained about me because I didn't know anything about the artist they were inquiring about.

There are reasons, set in stone, for why one should play guitar? Really? Some people play sports to get/stay in shape, maybe I should complain about how they're not doing it because they actually love the sport.

Who fucking cares?
Quote by SkyValley

Yes, but guess what? The fact is that that won't go away. We'll always have illinformed guitar players. Ever since some cowboy started playing guitar like strumming chords was going out of style, we've had bad and illinformed guitarists. It won't go away. But we can educate those players who are bad and illinformed.

Although, I'll tell you one thing, you don't much about Zakk Wylde is you think he's awful. Preach that line to this crowd, and you'll get the figurative shit beat out of you. Zakk is actually quite good at riffs and has a good understanding of blues. Is he as great as he's made out to be? HELL NO! But he's not some dumbass Punk (ya know, the whole "I only need 3 chords for a song" Punk idea) guitarist either.
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Don't be silly. Guitar Center doesn't tell the kids to like shitty metal. Kids liked it on their own and Guitar Center caters to that.

And they don't just cater to that - they cater to everyone. They're a business, that's how businesses make money. Unoriginal metal bands just happen to be a fantastic money-maker and strangely popular as well.
Quote by Goose Catcher
I think TS's story is bullshit

fixed

So I decided to respond to each individual part of the post.
Quote by SkyValley

They push low-cost guitars and amps that sell really well. This isn't really a problem, because the 'better' gear is often times more expensive, so actually in my opinion GC and GW doing this encourages more guitar players. And, chances are, if they are really into guitar, their ears will develop and they'll get better gear. Happened to me. Went from a Vox modelling amp and an Epiphone Special II to my Washburn and (wanting the money to get a) Blackstar HT-20.

Wow, really? Stores hire salesmen? You mean, retail stores hire people that do retail?
'nuff said.

Different strokes for different folks. As already said, I haven't a clue who Gould is, despite playing piano (and being good at it) for 11 years. Personally, I'm a fan of late Romantic, stuff like Rachmoninov, and then some 20th century avant-garde like Poulenc.
Except none of that is relevant because I haven't heard of one piano player, who apparently is God, so I'm awful at piano now and my Steinway grand should be burned because I don't play his stuff on it.
The new generation of guitarists isn't into jazz. Jazz is an old style of music. Yes, it's still listened to. But it is not on the radios as it was back in the day. Do you know what is? Zakk Wylde, Slash, A7X (Who isn't a guitarist by the way, and neither is Dragonforce), Dragonforce, and Angus Young.

Relating to above, most people aren't going to be satisfied by playing their AC/DC or Led Zeppelin on a classical guitar. It's a shame that they're marked as novelties, but it doesn't matter because the customers at GC and the readers of GW wouldn't buy them unless they were into classical guitar music, which, if they were, chances are they aren't going to be customers of GC or readers of GW.

This one is a shame actually. can't really say much against it.

Except it doesn't. I guess Microsoft partnering with Halo and Activison with Call of Duty makes war equivalent to toys as well? It doesn't. People aren't that stupid to really think that because a video game is made of an instrument instantly makes that instrument a toy.
And personally, I enjoy Guitar Hero/Rock Band. Getting a bunch of friends together and 'rocking out' is pretty fun.

I actually have seen those articles. I've seen articles describing differences in wood tones, manufacturing locations, pickups, etc.
And if I still lived in America, I would still shop at Guitar Center. It has the best selection of guitars out of any store that I lived close to, and if I walk in and act like I know exactly what I'm looking for, people leave me alone.

That sucks that people look down on you.
Whatever, grow up.
will someone carry me across ten thousand miles under the silence
Page 1 of 5