Somehow I ended up with some wallhangers and I was just wondering exactly how safe they were to use, especially in a small room in Southern Canada that has a window.

How much do I need to worry about temperature fluctuations and humidity, etc?

I was planning on putting them on the wall with the window, but obviously I'll move them if it proves to be unsafe.

Totally igna'ant on the subject, enlighten me please <3
What a signature.
just sell them and buy floor stands.

seriously, i had one fail one me.

never again am i using a wall hanger.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
make sure you hit a stud. and if possible, that there's no breeze or direct light on them.

you're good to go.

edit: gotta hit a stud ^

Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Last edited by jj1565 at Oct 2, 2010,
Quote by Tom 1.0

The only time I've had one fail on me was when someone knocked into it fairly hard. Knocked it clean out of the wall and put a gash in the neck of my LP. I've just been keeping my guitars in their cases ever since though.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Last edited by mmolteratx at Oct 2, 2010,
Just put it on a stud and you should be fine.
Quote by Tone Deaf
Someone has had too much jager in their slushy. :/
Quote by CL/\SH
First person on UG to be a grammar nazi and use the correct form of "your" in the correct context.

+ 70 virgins to you, my good sir.

Quote by Fassa Albrecht
Girls DO fap...I don't though.
i use a wall hanger and providing you put them into the wall correctly with wall plugs it'll last forever and a day.
and they look better than floor stands, floor stands get in the way when you take your guitar off them and have it leaning on your bed or whatever and you can trip over them at night, wall mounts can double as coat hooks!! xD (me just being ingenious there)
and floor stands will clutter the place up if it's a small room, wall hangers you can put one guitar above the other and it'll be very much out the way.

hang them properly (ie drill, wall plugs, BIG screws) and you'll have them up there for ever. but hang them wrong (ie NO wall plugs) and your guitar will have a fast encounter with the floor.
Belief is a beautiful armour but makes for the heaviest sword.
Pretty much what everyone else stated. Get a wallhanger that isn't made of cheap easy breakable plastic, then mount it on a stud in your wall.

Many many many people use the, including big guitar players, so why not?
Like people stated, I'd view them much more better than a floor stand. I don't see any purpose in a floor stand besides making your guitar stand up straight to avoid sliding and getting ruined.

Someone also stated they look good too, I mean wouldn't it be badass to have your guitar hanging on your wall?
Guitars:
Davison SG
Line 6 Variax 600
Line 6 JTV 69s
Squier Classic Bibe Telecaster Thinline
I appreciate the advice, I'm absolutely using plugs and the chunkiest ****ing screws I can find. Probably going to hang off of it myself for a few minutes to make sure it's sturdy olol

I'm mostly concerned about the window, will changing temperatures/humidities affect it if it's so close to a window/wall?
What a signature.
unless you weigh as much as a guitar I don't advise you do that, it hangs guitars not people.
Guitars:
Davison SG
Line 6 Variax 600
Line 6 JTV 69s
Squier Classic Bibe Telecaster Thinline
don't use wall hangers they stretch your guitar you will get a 25 fret when you had a 24

you could just use perf board like music stores
If you do it right, its safe. But, its probably better just to sell it off and shell out for a floor stand.
Quote by pielover375
So last year, I put some potatoes in this jar and forgot about them. Today, I found them, and when I opened the jar, there is a puddle at the bottom and it smells like alcohol. If I drink this, do you think I will die, or have I made potato vodka?
best place to store a guitar is in it's case,, hanging them on a wall is what you do at guitar center to show them off.. when i"m messing around or gigging they set in a good stable stand
They're great if you hang it right like most other said. Also like said, hit a stud, if you don't your just putting it into drywall and it could fall really easily.

If your looking for a sturdy one the Hercules ones are pretty great. Ive got two of them and I plan to get another one in a few months.
2012 Gibson Les Paul Custom Classic
2001 Schecter C-1 Classic
2007 Yamaha APX500
Vox AC15CC1 w/ Eminence Tonkerlite
Assorted Pedals!

All for sale!

Call me Matt!
Quote by notos
don't use wall hangers they stretch your guitar you will get a 25 fret when you had a 24

wat
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

not to jack this thread....but if your looking for a floor stand, make one. I made a "trough" type of stand, the guitars stand on their side one in front of the other. Works good, 2x4's are sturdy and it doesn't take much space and can store a crap ton of guitars
Quote by notos

..................... Oh wow. Anti-intelligence away!

TS: There are two ways to hang them; on a stud and straight into drywall.

Mounting them on a stud is pretty obvious; locate the stud, square up the hanger, and screw it down.

Mounting straight into drywall (i.e. not into a stud) requires drywall anchors.

1. Square up the hanger on the wall, mark the screw holes in pencil on the wall.

2. Drill pilot holes (drill holes) just smaller than the widest part of the anchor into the wall.

3. Push the anchors in flush with the wall.

4. Square up the hanger to the holes, screw in the screws INTO THE ANCHORS.

Drywall anchors are holding up my SG and Strat. They're not going anywhere.
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
Last edited by stratman_13 at Oct 2, 2010,
Quote by notos

Can you explain the physics of this? I'm quite curious to hear an explanation.

/inb4lolgravityphail
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Quote by mmolteratx
Can you explain the physics of this? I'm quite curious to hear an explanation.

/inb4lolgravityphail

Didn't you know that gravity can defy the laws of conservation of mass? It can create matter.

Thus, allowing gravity, when pulling down on a guitar neck, to create more wood, an exactly perfect fret placement, and another fret dot, to spontaneously come into existence.

Duh. It's elementary stuff.
--

--
Quote by stratman_13
Didn't you know that gravity can defy the laws of conservation of mass? It can create matter.

Thus, allowing gravity, when pulling down on a guitar neck, to create more wood, an exactly perfect fret placement, and another fret dot, to spontaneously come into existence.

Duh. It's elementary stuff.

Ahh. The gravitron anti-mass principle. How can I forget about that?
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Quote by Tom 1.0

you must not have installed them correctly.

serioulsly, you are 100x more lilkely to knock over a floor stand.

i have had 11 hangers up in my studio and they are reliable.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Hercules happens to be the brand I have, actually.

Now about that window.. :P
What a signature.
Quote by Xezium
Hercules happens to be the brand I have, actually.

Now about that window.. :P

hercules are probably the best out there (at least most common ones).

the big thing is to mount it on a stud securely.

i didn't have enough studs for my hangers, so i ran an oak 2x12" accross the wall high close to the ceiling and screwed it into every stud, and mounded the hangers to the oak board, and I dont think they will ever go anywhere.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by Ippon
^ Now I can have 24 frets I've always wanted on the Ibanez S7320!

Nice one.
Or, instant baritone conversion
right, about the window: you should be ok. my guitars are on the wall directly opposite my window and as such are in full glare of sunlight, changing temps (windows sometimes open, sometimes closed) and all the stuff that comes with it. my ibanez (GRG170DX) has been there for nearly 2 years and i haven't noticed ANY change in sound or quiality. so your guitar(s) should be fine. if you're that worried about them then don't use the hangers, but it's the same principle as putting the guitar on a floor stand near the window. it'll still be exposed to the elements, just a few feet lower.
Belief is a beautiful armour but makes for the heaviest sword.
It just so happens that I've just got some Hercules hangers put up yesterday, with the help of some DIY loving mates. I'm living in a house owned by a friend at university, and he actually suggested it. It gives me more room to play with without having guitar stands everywhere.

It was a strange one actually, the stud finder didn't have a clue what to make of the walls, so we decided to mount them to a brick wall that separates this house from the neighbours, so it's essentially mounted into plasterboard with brick behind it. Just judging on how hard it was to drill into that damned brick (even with a 24v Bosch hammer drill going at it), it should be a pretty strong mount. We tried pulling pretty hard on them after they were up and they weren't going anywhere.

Unfortunately they're not mounted totally straight on the wall even though we lined up the holes with a laser level. I think it's probably because the drill wandered a bit with all the effort of drilling into the brick, so you shouldn't have that problem with stud mounting. So it's a shame that they're not totally level, but they're solid.

There they are, holding my Jackson DK2M and my (brand new) Ibanez SR300M bass.

Last night I was getting a bit worried whenever I heard a noise, imagining that my guitars were going to fall off the wall, but of course I was just being an idiot and the hangers haven't moved at all since I put the guitars up there yesterday.
Stretching necks huh? Don't buy plasticine guitars.

Direct sunlight is the biggest worry, apart from the heat it fades the finish. It's best not to keep your guitars anywhere where it gets overly hot. I would have thought that in Canada that wouldn't be a problem It's hardly the Australian outback huh?
Rapid changes in temperature is the biggest problem, like in a car. On a wall you'll probably be fine unless it's near the heater.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
<3

Thanks to all for the halp, I'll put them up later today after I clean up the room
What a signature.
If you decide to put them into straight drywall or are forced into installing one into straight drywall, make sure you follow the steps I listed on the other page.

. Wall hangers are the shit.
--

--
I've got one of those Hercules locking hangers, too. My Strat is currently happily hanging on the wall.
Quote by Seref
I've got one of those Hercules locking hangers, too. My Strat is currently happily hanging on the wall.

+1 I've got a deArmond hanging on my wall on a herc hangar. its in straight drywall with countersinks. has been happy for a year of continuous use and taking the guitar on/off
Quote by notos

wtf
Quote by SG_dave at #33549256
I've never wanted to see a guy eat dick so much in my life.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7 at #33553650
If you are white, you are scum.
Quote by notos
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!