So I play bass and sing in a progressive metal band. We're kinda a mix of Cynic, Opeth and Dave Brubeck.

I need some advice on getting really powerful clean vocals, something along the lines of Dio. Ive been working on a lot of classical stuff lately.

Any advice on gettin a better tone?
Become Dio. Or Bruce Dickinson. Or Freddie Mercury. Or Jim Morrison. Unfortunately, these guys were all born with it - awesomely powerful vocals are something that you can either do or you can't do. You can work on your pitch, but generally there's no way to significantly improve the 'powerfulness' of your vocals.

The only thing I can suggest is practice. Keep trying and trying, and running through your exercises, and maybe you will make progress. Good luck.
Marshall amplifiers are the truest purveyors of rock and roll known to man.

"And give a man an amplifier and a synthesizer, and he doesn't become whoever, you know. He doesn't become us."

Holy crap, check this out!
You will grow out of metal, like every other metal tourist that frequents these parts for the odd download or snippet of praise.
Quote by Ultraussie
I want to try that while playing the opening riff to "Tempting Time".

0-0-0-13-0-0-0-0-13 or something like that alalalala but It;s so heavy and off time and awesome and you could not f**k anyone to it.

Quote by Ingested
burzum IS nazi. well, varg is.
Quote by seemeel
Become Dio. Or Bruce Dickinson. Or Freddie Mercury. Or Jim Morrison. Unfortunately, these guys were all born with it - awesomely powerful vocals are something that you can either do or you can't do. You can work on your pitch, but generally there's no way to significantly improve the 'powerfulness' of your vocals.
Utter balls.

Don't push too hard, that won't make them powerful. Work on resonance and using your diaphragm.

http://www.youtube.com/user/AussieVocalCoach
http://belcanto.myseriestv.com/showList.php

Two things that really helped me. Do the exercises and learn the techniques in those videos.
I'LL PUNCH A DONKEY IN THE STREETS OF GALWAY
Last edited by whalepudding at Oct 2, 2010,